Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 AM

18 posts, read 60,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Same happened to me... had one home plus two more buildable adjoining parcels in 2004.

Today it is all wetland or wetland set back... but... the existing home is grandfathered... so the value may improve as no one else supposedly can build in this area...

There were a few hearings attended by overflow crowds and they went well into the morning... when it was all said and done... the government did exactly what it intended...
This is what I am afraid of. Bulldozed by the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:49 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,663,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacoast View Post
from we have seen based on others that have had foreclosures, it is really not a big deal.
I would certainly put it up for sale before I'd let a bank foreclose on it. Just because its wetlands doesn't mean someone cant file the proper paperwork to build on it.

Foreclosures can be a big deal. Banks are selling debts to collectors/lawyers and going after people, sometimes 20 years later after they are back on their feet.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
Interesting! Hubby is a wetland delineator (worked in FL) so the title caught my attention. I will let him read the thread and see what his take is. Things just don't sound right.

I don't understand..when did they do a wetland delineation to change the determination on your property? How do they know what area of your 9 acres is now wetlands? Did they ask your permission to come on your property? I'm pretty sure it can't be determined without someone actually looking at plants/soils and usually at different times of year. Actual boots on the ground kind of thing. It doesn't make sense. They are saying they "are" wetlands yet telling you that you need to have a study done to determine "IF" they are wetlands.

I am really curious about all of this and will post what I find out. I'm sure DH can at least get you going in the right direction.
Thank you so much for responding. You are asking all the questions I asked. It is very confusing. Basically I was told that some Army Corps. of Engineers people sitting behind a desk looking at satellite images of the US are deciding what is or is not added to the Wetlands Inventory Map. And yes, I have been completely perplexed that the County is telling me it IS wetlands but yet WE have to PAY to have someone else to come out and to tell us that yes, it is wetlands. The County even told me that if I have the EPA come out and delineate it will not be enough. They said I still have to involve the Water Management District..pay them to come out and tell us what we can or can not do with the property. This is just beyond frustrating.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,704,357 times
Quote:
This is what I am afraid of. Bulldozed by the government.
And it gets better... the Assessor will not deal in hypotheticals...

I was told I would first need to pay the fees and apply for a building permit and be denied if I want to claim the change had a negative impact on value

Made no difference the new maps showed it as unbuildable... I had to spend money on permits, plans, septic perc, etc.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I would certainly put it up for sale before I'd let a bank foreclose on it. Just because its wetlands doesn't mean someone cant file the proper paperwork to build on it.

Foreclosures can be a big deal. Banks are selling debts to collectors/lawyers and going after people, sometimes 20 years later after they are back on their feet.
Thanks. I'm just frustrated as it seems from what I am being told that no one would ever want to buy it.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:07 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'm just frustrated as it seems from what I am being told that no one would ever want to buy it.

Then the suggestion to offer it to a Conservancy organization at cost or donation for a tax deduction or approach the state to buy it under eminent domain sound like the best options.

Don't necessarily blame the local jurisdiction for this. There are two or three moving parts to recent reclassifications of flood zones and wetlands.

One is the redrawing of FEMA flood maps that is essentially completed. One of the others are Army Corps of Engineers regulations governing the definition of wetlands starting 10 or so years ago.

Locals are just starting to catch up to the above changes and really have no choice in either. Flood zones determine insurance cost while wetlands regulations play into clean water enforcement.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:17 AM

50,347 posts, read 47,099,157 times
There is always the option to lease it out if it's legal to do so in the area. Plot hunting is big in many States. People pay a lot of money to hunt plots.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
And it gets better... the Assessor will not deal in hypotheticals...

I was told I would first need to pay the fees and apply for a building permit and be denied if I want to claim the change had a negative impact on value

Made no difference the new maps showed it as unbuildable... I had to spend money on permits, plans, septic perc, etc.
Exactly!!! That is what I understood also. It makes zero sense except to cost us money and a lot grief.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There is always the option to lease it out if it's legal to do so in the area. Plot hunting is big in many States. People pay a lot of money to hunt plots.
Actually we have had hunters asking if we would consider letting them hunt for a fee. It is loaded with wildlife.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:36 AM

630 posts, read 1,718,244 times
Default Questions

Hi OP,

I asked DH about things. Another poster is correct about the GIS mapping. If their software has a "hit" on your property, it is labeled a wetland and you have to have it delineated to see if that is the case before you build on it. If you wanted to do it just where the impact of house/driveway would be it would run around $2k. Chances are it is going to be as Florida is more stringent than Federal law regarding criteria to meet. There are 3 indicators and for Fed you have to meet all 3 before it is classified as a wetland. Florida however calls it a wetland if it meets 2.

As far as the mitigation banks, they typically aren't interested in small parcels. You could still check into it if you want to give it away though.

So a few questions. What changed from when you bought it to now? Was it dry then and wet now? If so, what is causing it to be wet now? A beaver dam, backed up ditch, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate