Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:38 AM

80 posts, read 70,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Is this a legitimate room addition - or a conversion of a garage or porch to living space?
It was formerly part of the back patio. We pulled up a cache of an old google map image and you could see where the back patio wrapped around to what is now the dining area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 09:46 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times
RUN!!!! The guy is a real estate agent and is blowing this off like it's nothing? RUN!!!!! Without a permit, it was not inspected. Taxes have no been paid on it. Who knows if it was built using quality labor and materials. It could be the most ghetto electrical work ever done. A roof patch is also something to cause an alarm in my mind. Houses don't exist without good roofs. RUN!!! There are plenty of houses out there. You don't want this to become your headache and it will over time. it could be a HUGE issue for financing as well.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:01 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,790,789 times
Move on The guy seems like a moron, his argument is that it's inside? Well every room is inside the home.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:06 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,519,845 times
This is a minor issue ...but I wonder what is hidden behind the picture that's on the wall. Seems very odd with the molding around it, then 1 lone picture in an empty home.

But your issue with unpermitted patio being converted to living space needs to be permitted and approved before you close IF you even want to buy the home at this point.

To be honest, I would have lost all faith in your seller since he is realtor and should have known to get it permitted. Makes you think he's a sham artist and what else is he hiding?

Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,647,127 times
Oh please folks stop with your fear mongering.

OP let me help you with reasonable advice.

You like the home? lets say yes otherwise you would not be posting here.

Now this is what you do. Get your inspector to check out the addition if it looks good go ahead and make the seller an offer that reflects the costs you may incur should the city every find out about it.

Most likely the city would have you rip everything open so that the plumbing , wiring and maybe even the foundation can be inspected. Figure what that would cost, double it and take that off your offer.

The scare mongering is just people jumping up on their high horses. A good inspector can tell if it was a high quality job pretty dam fast, and if you deduct a hefty amount of money to cover your bases, more than likely you will simply get to keep the money...

Old 04-28-2016, 11:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
There are LOTS or really obstinate local officials in MANY communities that once they become aware of some thing like a patio being converted into interior living space are going to not just require inspection / redo of mechanical systems but DEMAND removal of the structure.

While I generally like to try to give the benefit of the doubt even to 'hasty' flippers this "deal" screams with RED FLAGS to avoid -- as said above, a roof that is clearly "patched in" is something that no sane remodeling contractor would ever do. Even if the area is currently water-tight the right way to do is ALWAYS to re-roof a larger section so there is NOTHING to show where the old roofline is, that is NOT just for looks -- it ensures that any changes that happen because of the settling / shrinkage of new framing does not distort the roof and cause problems down the road, the new roof "gives a bit" until eventually heat helps to re-fuse the replaced area.

Other red flags: Is the guy in the picture freakishly tall or the ceiling fan huge dangerously low? I am guess the latter AND the reason is I can guarantee this scam artist did NOT resize the AC so the existing unit is now working HARDER to keep MORE SPACE reasonably cool in the ARIZONA HEAT! That ceiling fan is NOT going to really reduce temps, just still around HOT AIR. I bet the space that used to be OUTSIDE is also insufficiently insulated, that won't be good for utility bills winter or summer...

I would not even consider this as RENTAL -- some angry tenant starts calling the zoning officials and now you have some bureaucrat having a conniption that the place does not match what was on the permitted uses and they drag YOU to court...

Old 04-28-2016, 11:21 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,471,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
If you want the house make him get the permit and pass the inspection. Otherwise I would pass.
As well, ensure he and his realtor know that they NEED to disclose this and amend the listing to reflect addition...hopefully saving someone else the heartache and giving his agent notice that you are aware that HE/SHE is aware of this.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:29 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,647,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are LOTS or really obstinate local officials in MANY communities that once they become aware of some thing like a patio being converted into interior living space are going to not just require inspection / redo of mechanical systems but DEMAND removal of the structure.

While I generally like to try to give the benefit of the doubt even to 'hasty' flippers this "deal" screams with RED FLAGS to avoid -- as said above, a roof that is clearly "patched in" is something that no sane remodeling contractor would ever do. Even if the area is currently water-tight the right way to do is ALWAYS to re-roof a larger section so there is NOTHING to show where the old roofline is, that is NOT just for looks -- it ensures that any changes that happen because of the settling / shrinkage of new framing does not distort the roof and cause problems down the road, the new roof "gives a bit" until eventually heat helps to re-fuse the replaced area.

Other red flags: Is the guy in the picture freakishly tall or the ceiling fan huge dangerously low? I am guess the latter AND the reason is I can guarantee this scam artist did NOT resize the AC so the existing unit is now working HARDER to keep MORE SPACE reasonably cool in the ARIZONA HEAT! That ceiling fan is NOT going to really reduce temps, just still around HOT AIR. I bet the space that used to be OUTSIDE is also insufficiently insulated, that won't be good for utility bills winter or summer...

I would not even consider this as RENTAL -- some angry tenant starts calling the zoning officials and now you have some bureaucrat having a conniption that the place does not match what was on the permitted uses and they drag YOU to court...

I very much disagree. Firstly even if you do happen to be unlucky enough to get a nasty city inspector that demands removal. You can still appeal and discuss to reach terms.

And as I already said, if you back out the costs of such a situation you can in fact just tear it down and put it back with permits.

Frankly if the buyer reduces the offer and makes an agreement, it is really no big deal at all.

it is only a big deal if you pay too much for the home.

if it would cost 7k to remove it. and 25 to put it back just take 30-40 off your offer....

Old 04-28-2016, 12:46 PM

314 posts, read 238,028 times
I would ask to have it inspected and approved by the city, reason is your legal description will not match, house square footage wont match, and the title company wont insure it. Its a big addition, not like an extra closet. Where I live you have to have permits for everything, including replacing doors/ windows etc... Is it ridicules, yes but some people might add dutch doors instead of regular and needs extra outside space which means the outside needs to be reconfigured.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:51 PM

211 posts, read 452,017 times
The seller needs to get this permitted. I would put in it the inspection addendum that it must be done prior to settlement.

I would take the pictures off of the internet unless you received permission from the seller to take pictures and post them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate