Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:37 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The best solution, if we could somehow convince everyone to agree to it, would be to get rid of section 8 and use that money for high security high capacity housing which would be provided free to everyone who wanted it. Half the budget would be for security, to make sure there would be absolutely zero crime, illegal drugs, etc., in that housing. An important aspect of it would be that it would have to have capacity high enough that there would never be a waiting list. And residents would never get priority over applicants. So there would never be any incentive for anyone to stay there to preserve their place there. And all residents would get constant encouragement to attend free job training and job placement services. The housing accommodations would be spartan enough to motivate people to move out when they could afford it. Instead of kitchens it would provide large cafeterias providing free food to anyone who wanted it, resident or not. We could spend 100% of our entire welfare budget on this, and save a lot of money providing much more effective welfare than what we provide now. But it would take too much common sense, to make such a radical change away from stupid wasteful political boondoggles such as all our present welfare schemes. Where would we find that much common sense? Certainly not among American politicians.
I know this is probably hard for you to believe, but there are very honest, ethical, hardworking people who get section 8 vouchers. There are also a large number of elderly and disabled people. Not everyone who gets government assistance is a scum bucket, drug using wastrel as you seem to imply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I know this is probably hard for you to believe, but there are very honest, ethical, hardworking people who get section 8 vouchers. There are also a large number of elderly and disabled people. Not everyone who gets government assistance is a scum bucket, drug using wastrel as you seem to imply.
There are all sorts of honest, ethical, good people who are only able to keep a roof over their head because of Section 8.

It is a mystery to me why some have such a low opinion of those who have fallen upon hard times. Lot of people are struggling with mental health issues, cognitive impairments, physical disabilities and still struggle to hold a job and do the right thing.

If you don't want deadbeat tenants, check references.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:27 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Like the refrigerator and stove requirements...

Here, Section 8 would allow $2 per month per appliance added to the contract rent... well... half of my calls with Section 8 were appliance related so we simply stopped supplying any freestanding appliances which left the option to the tenant to provide.

Then, Section 8 said they did not care who provided them... just that they must be in the unit and powered up at the time of inspection...

This just about eliminated all Section 8 because what tenant is going to bring in a stove and refrigerator for a unit they are interested in?

What I have seen is a backlash from families that don't have Section 8... I have had a neighbor with 3 kids, a wife and invalid grandmother living in the home next to one of my Section 8 rentals... he has 17 years in at the phone company.

He simply doesn't understand why he has to work so hard to support his family and my tenants don't work at all and even have a gardener service provided by me as part of the Section 8 rental and that family pays $124 per month.
This thread is an eye opener.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There are all sorts of honest, ethical, good people who are only able to keep a roof over their head because of Section 8..........
I'm sure there must be somewhere. But they certainly are not in the majority.

If most Section 8 tenants were honest, ethical, and good people, there would be very little landlord resistance to the Section 8 program.

All landlords want honest, ethical, good people for tenants. They don't want Section 8 tenants because so many of them tear up a house, lie, cheat, and game the system. So sorry for the honest, ethical good tenants who are on Section 8, but a few really bad experiences are enough to make landlords refuse to participate.

Really? You think that nice neighborhoods don't want Section 8 to move in because section 8 tenants are honest, ethical, and good people?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:07 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The best solution, if we could somehow convince everyone to agree to it, would be to get rid of section 8 and use that money for high security high capacity housing which would be provided free to everyone who wanted it. Half the budget would be for security, to make sure there would be absolutely zero crime, illegal drugs, etc., in that housing. An important aspect of it would be that it would have to have capacity high enough that there would never be a waiting list. And residents would never get priority over applicants. So there would never be any incentive for anyone to stay there to preserve their place there. And all residents would get constant encouragement to attend free job training and job placement services. The housing accommodations would be spartan enough to motivate people to move out when they could afford it. Instead of kitchens it would provide large cafeterias providing free food to anyone who wanted it, resident or not. We could spend 100% of our entire welfare budget on this, and save a lot of money providing much more effective welfare than what we provide now. But it would take too much common sense, to make such a radical change away from stupid wasteful political boondoggles such as all our present welfare schemes. Where would we find that much common sense? Certainly not among American politicians.
many cities are demolishing housing projects in favor of the section-8 program because large neighborhoods of low-income inhabitants tend to incubate crime. the idea is that mixed-income neighborhoods would reduce/eliminate crime in ghettoized areas.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:14 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Just to know, I looked up the HUD rent limits for my city. High rent is $1,120 for a 3 bedroom. No one is renting a 3 bedroom apartment or SF home for that price in anything other than a marginal area. Unless landlords are forced to reduce rates in addition to accepting Section 8 vouchers, I don't see this having much effect.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:32 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I just looked up the 3 Bedroom Fair Market Rent under the Section 8 Voucher program for Oakland California and it is $2935.

Voucher Payment Standards

Old 05-12-2016, 11:35 AM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
many cities are demolishing housing projects in favor of the section-8 program because large neighborhoods of low-income inhabitants tend to incubate crime. the idea is that mixed-income neighborhoods would reduce/eliminate crime in ghettoized areas.

That's has been being done for about 10 years here in Maryland, in fact the residents are being shipped to entirely different jurisdictions. The crime rates have gone up, especially property crimes, in many of those receiving areas.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:35 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm sure there must be somewhere. But they certainly are not in the majority.

If most Section 8 tenants were honest, ethical, and good people, there would be very little landlord resistance to the Section 8 program.

All landlords want honest, ethical, good people for tenants. They don't want Section 8 tenants because so many of them tear up a house, lie, cheat, and game the system. So sorry for the honest, ethical good tenants who are on Section 8, but a few really bad experiences are enough to make landlords refuse to participate.

Really? You think that nice neighborhoods don't want Section 8 to move in because section 8 tenants are honest, ethical, and good people?
This very much sums out the experience of many that I know.

Housing providers want good tenants and what's not to like having a portion of the rent paid on the first by HUD?

Evidently, there is plenty otherwise why would only 1 in 5 new Voucher holders in my city successfully secure housing?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-12-2016 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I just looked up the 3 Bedroom Fair Market Rent under the Section 8 Voucher program for Oakland California and it is $2935.

Voucher Payment Standards
What type of home/neighborhood would that price get you? Good area and good schools or otherwise? While the number for my area would get someone out of the hood, they'd still be in a marginal area at best. People who live in the upscale areas aren't going to suddenly have Section 8 renters across the street when the FMR is still far below what housing in their areas command.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate