Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,681 times

Advertisements

What do you want a heloc for? Why not just leave your home equity alone so you have a paid off house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 11:29 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I'm fast becoming a fan of my credit union... the difference is night and day.

I had a HELOC and used it for construction funding and all went well... paid it off.

Had another project and wrote my HELOC check and it was returned... account closed... thing is I did not close my account or was there zero notice to me...

When I followed up I was told "I" had closed the account which was false.

Went higher up the chain and learned Country Wide Unilaterally closed thousands of accounts saying closed by account holder and this was explained as good for me as opposed to having the institution closing the account.

I had to scramble for the funds which left a bad taste...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-11-2016 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-11-2016, 12:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaProf View Post
After being told in writing, that I was Pre-Approved for a HELOC, imagine my surprise, when I receive a letter, telling me that I was turned down!

The main reason being, is that their Appraiser totally screwed me in determining the value of my home!
This appraiser did not visit my home, to see all the upgrades, all he did, supposedly was run comps!

The reason why, I think they are full of it! Is that I ran Comps this morning, and they are way higher, than what the bank claims, that their appraiser stated! I have them all printed out, and will submit to them, if they ever get back to me

For example, a home 2 doors down from me sold in January of this year. This home is way smaller than mine, has a very small deck, only one garage, and has never been updated in 30 years! They valued my, updated home, supper large, brand new deck, 2 garages, for less than 20k than his! That's insane!

So, bottom line, I'm going to fight this with all I've got! Any suggestions?

So far, I'm just hearing crickets from the bank
You have to be careful running comps, you can only use the MLS or tax base. Zillow, Truilia, Realtor, are not sources you can use.

You can only run comps on what the house closed for not the listing price.

Upgrades don't count on appraisals, a kitchen is a kitchen, you don't get credit for an upgraded one.

A two car garage is worth more than a one car garage.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:38 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Default Um

I think you actually meant to write:

"Updates don't ALWAYS count on appraisals.....you don't ALWAYS get credit for an upgraded one"

E.g. All 'upgrades' aren't interpreted the same on the appraisal.

There. Fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Upgrades don't count on appraisals, a kitchen is a kitchen, you don't get credit for an upgraded one.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I think you actually meant to write:

"Updates don't ALWAYS count on appraisals.....you don't ALWAYS get credit for an upgraded one"

E.g. All 'upgrades' aren't interpreted the same on the appraisal.

There. Fixed it.
Yes, you are correct, thanks!

Old 05-11-2016, 01:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The bank isn't setting a price that they are buying a house for. The bank is looking for what they can sell your house for to get a quick sale if they have to foreclose on you.

If that bank won't give you the money you want try another bank.
Yes. I had my house appraised years back for a HELOC and the bank's number was a little lower than comps. I had an appraiser come to the house and I figured he saw what was upgraded, what was antique/restored. When I asked the person handling the line why the appraisal was lower than the comps, she indicated that a number of the items that were upgrades were easily removed -- expensive doors, stained glass, etc., or items which people trash if they find themselves being foreclosed upon.

It was a little insulting as I wouldn't stoop that low, but in my line of work I have seen homes which former owners have just about destroyed.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:25 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes. I had my house appraised years back for a HELOC and the bank's number was a little lower than comps. I had an appraiser come to the house and I figured he saw what was upgraded, what was antique/restored. When I asked the person handling the line why the appraisal was lower than the comps, she indicated that a number of the items that were upgrades were easily removed -- expensive doors, stained glass, etc., or items which people trash if they find themselves being foreclosed upon.

It was a little insulting as I wouldn't stoop that low, but in my line of work I have seen homes which former owners have just about destroyed.
I recently refinanced my house, and the loan officer asked me what I thought the value of my house was. I gave him a value with a range of $1,000, give or take. He raised an eyebrow at me, and said, "Are you sure?" I'm a real estate agent, so yeah, I was pretty sure, I had access to detailed comparable information.

Sure enough, the appraisal came in exactly where I said it should be. The loan officer was impressed as hell -- said he had never seen anyone on a refinance hit the number exactly. :-)

Seeing what some people do to homes that are foreclosed on -- nothing would surprise me. I've seen whole kitchens ripped out to the studs, I've seen doors ripped off hinges, I've seen obscene words spray-painted all over walls, I've seen bathtubs smashed, a sledgehammer taken to a toilet (regardless of whether the water was on), and the railings of a desk kicked out, plus piles of garbage layered in corners. You're not sure if they were humans or animals living there.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:10 PM

174 posts, read 189,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Unless a meteor hits and they are wiped out immediately...oh yeah, the meteor did hit in 2008 but the taxpayers bailed them out so the same ol same ol can continue and screwing over the consumer resumes.

I'm confused - wouldn't the "same 'ol same 'ol" be continuing to give home equity loans to people with questionable equity??

Old 05-13-2016, 06:34 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
I'm confused - wouldn't the "same 'ol same 'ol" be continuing to give home equity loans to people with questionable equity??
The same ol same ol meaning paying excessive corporate bonuses while looking to nickel & dime the consumer with "gotcha" fee's. Yes, the lending requirements have shored up & yes I added to the topic but why should the OP deal with this when they can go to a credit union?

Old 05-13-2016, 10:16 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,938,156 times
Do you really want a HELOC? I got one back in 2004 and never used a cent of that money. All it did for me was provide one more (slight) complication when I sold the house. Maybe you can just tell them to take their HELOC and buzz off. If it was me, I'd do that and I'd never do any more business with them ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate