Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:36 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times

Advertisements

I used to work with someone who had a long, steep driveway off a fairly busy state highway. She was petrified of driving down it in snow fearing she wouldn't be able to stop at the bottom and would slide out onto the highway. If she left her car overnight down at the bottom, half the time she couldn't even walk down to it - either snow too deep or too icy.

Needless to say, she used a lot of her vacation days every winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:55 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
That walk in the snow and ice down to a car parked at the bottom with a toddler doesn't sound fun.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:41 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I used to work with someone who had a long, steep driveway off a fairly busy state highway. She was petrified of driving down it in snow fearing she wouldn't be able to stop at the bottom and would slide out onto the highway. If she left her car overnight down at the bottom, half the time she couldn't even walk down to it - either snow too deep or too icy.

Needless to say, she used a lot of her vacation days every winter.
One of our neighbors, in the country, used to sometimes leave their car at the end of their long steep driveway in winter. They would ride their snowmobile to the car, shovel it out, clean off the snow & ice and get it started to warm it up (all things that they would not of had to do if it was parked in their garage attached to their house). They would then ride the snowmobile back to the house & walk the 1/4 mile back to the car. It probably added an extra hour or more to their morning routine on the snowy, icy winter days that they parked at the main road.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:49 AM

685 posts, read 720,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju3ruby View Post
We have liked a house in Nashua, NH. It is lovely, just like dream house.

Bful house, big house within budget + lot of amenities in the house. They have everything and we were surprised at sticker.
Even thought it was too big for our needs, too much maintenance, heating/distance, we were ready till we realized driveway problems

House is on high hill and at the sharp round turn of street which explains price and seller seems to have hard time selling it. I have super active toddler and i am concerned. Even if price brought down further, i am worried. I could not drive myself up so Husband did.

House does not have much flat ground.Lot of front yard but all steep slope. Slope goes to side garage. Then main entrance/door to house is on front ofcourse, from same steep slope and is unsafe for kids to tumble down the road. Needs fencing may be.

Then backyard is flat, has big deck but very small for kids to play. Then there are then boulder fence, mountain and woods. We were looking for space to put swing set.

What are the risks of buying this house? flooding? With heavy snow, it will have to hire pro every time to clean my driveway which is like 50$ each cleaning?
With heavy rains, any risks of basement catching moisture because of this location. then radon level of house is 4 after mitigation system. I know 4 is acceptable but still

Sounds like you need validation or maybe some backup of your opinion about the home based on the MOSTLY negative things you've mentioned. Do you have to convince your husband or yourself?
Here is a list you can look at that shows what people have mentioned that are good and bad about the home....

NEGATIVE:
1) drainage problems that would have require thousands to repair
2) issues with house settling
3) kids just wanted to play basketball without having to chase the ball all the way down the hill
4) current seller is having problems selling due to the driveway
5) we had to pay an extra surcharge on the hill for a pro to mow our yard since I didn't trust my husband's driving ability on the steep slope. not much fun mowing a slope
6)any time there was a threat of ice, we had to plan ahead and park our vehicles at the bottom. Delivery drivers wouldn't come all the way up, partygoers had to park along the road and walk up the hill, and anyone who came over was compelled to comment about the steep hill.
7) could not drive myself up so Husband did
8) unsafe for kids to tumble down the road
9) too big for our needs
10) too much maintenance
11) heating/distance
12) If parked at bottom of driveway, may not be able to walk to it.
13) Back yard is too small for a swing set
14) have super active toddler and i am concerned

POSITIVES:
1) dream house
2) within budget
3) lot of amenities in the house
4) views
5) Lord over the neighbors(unless there are other homes even higher)
6) Sh#$ runs downhill
7) Neighbor kids will love your home and use it as the place to be to sled at. This could be seen as a negative.

14 negatives so far.....

Old 05-18-2016, 10:25 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Some of us need a better reason for a hobby than "because it's there."
lol..nice.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:42 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
I wouldn't touch the house with a ten foot pole.

I lived in a house on a super steep driveway. It was so steep that they put ridges in the concrete of the driveway to give traction for walking down it. I used to be so scared of walking down to the mailbox that I would slip and fall, and slide down the ridges and take my skin off. It was so dangerous that I started driving to the mailbox.

One early evening in winter, I left to go grocery shopping. The driveway was wet. An hour later when I came back, it had turned to ice. I got halfway up the driveway and started to slide backward. I put on the brake, continuing to slide by inches and started screaming. If I slid all the way, I would have gone into a ditch and probably flipped over.

My house-mate came out of the house and the ordeal of getting me out of the car while it was still sliding was a nightmare. I had to drop onto the ice with the car door open and slither on my belly inches at a time with my hands on solid ice and no traction. At one point, the sharp edges of the car door was over my back and if the car had slid, my back would have been gouged.

I was flat on my belly on a steep incline of ice. There was no way to push against anything with my feet. I could move maybe three inches sideways at a time until I could get to some rocks and grass and crawl up the rest of the way. It took forever. My hands were purple from being on the ice so long. It took me hours to calm down after that.

I know another lady who had the same experience and ended up sliding down her driveway in her car. Her car hit the mailbox and was totaled. But at least her wheels hooked onto one side of the driveway and stopped the car. On the other side was a long drop off because her house is on a mountain. She could have been either killed or seriously injured.

And you live in icy NH? Don't do it.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:59 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I wouldn't touch the house with a ten foot pole.

I lived in a house on a super steep driveway. It was so steep that they put ridges in the concrete of the driveway to give traction for walking down it. I used to be so scared of walking down to the mailbox that I would slip and fall, and slide down the ridges and take my skin off. It was so dangerous that I started driving to the mailbox.

One early evening in winter, I left to go grocery shopping. The driveway was wet. An hour later when I came back, it had turned to ice. I got halfway up the driveway and started to slide backward. I put on the brake, continuing to slide by inches and started screaming. If I slid all the way, I would have gone into a ditch and probably flipped over.

My house-mate came out of the house and the ordeal of getting me out of the car while it was still sliding was a nightmare. I had to drop onto the ice with the car door open and slither on my belly inches at a time with my hands on solid ice and no traction. At one point, the sharp edges of the car door was over my back and if the car had slid, my back would have been gouged.

I was flat on my belly on a steep incline of ice. There was no way to push against anything with my feet. I could move maybe three inches sideways at a time until I could get to some rocks and grass and crawl up the rest of the way. It took forever. My hands were purple from being on the ice so long. It took me hours to calm down after that.

I know another lady who had the same experience and ended up sliding down her driveway in her car. Her car hit the mailbox and was totaled. But at least her wheels hooked onto one side of the driveway and stopped the car. On the other side was a long drop off because her house is on a mountain. She could have been either killed or seriously injured.

And you live in icy NH? Don't do it.
Wow. Your story makes me so glad we didn't buy ours

Old 05-19-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post

Wow. Your story makes me so glad we didn't buy ours
I'm glad you didn't buy it either, or else my story would be your story.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:42 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I'm glad you didn't buy it either, or else my story would be your story.
I cannot imagine having to climb up an ice hill just to get home. You're lucky you made it!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post

I cannot imagine having to climb up an ice hill just to get home. You're lucky you made it!
I hope never to relive that scene!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate