Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,335,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
See, Im just the opposite. I LOVE the pictures you posted, love love love them. I would much rather have the "bones" just as yours are, and add color in other ways, ways that are easy to change. Love those pics.
I agree. It's a gorgeous, spacious, nicely decorated home, inside and out. That full bathroom is to die for just the way it is.

Do I like every single decorating element in the home? Not necessarily. But I'm not buying the bedspreads, the rugs, or the OP's other belongings. I'm more than capable of painting walls and ceilings, too.

If I were moving to the OP's neighborhood and could afford it, I'd snap that house up in a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:13 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,431,577 times
I think it's a nice home and the style and the age probably aren't that out of place for the area. While the pictures aren't the best and the decor is busy and a bit cluttered, that's not really the biggest issue. The biggest issue is just too much competing inventory. With more choices available buyers will first take houses that have at least 2 full bathrooms, houses that are newer, houses that have had more updating done, houses with an overall style that is not so dated and houses with bigger lots and bigger garages.

With an excess of inventory buyers won't be willing to settle so the OP will need to wait for that special buyer that likes/loves older homes with a Tudor style, and doesn't care about the house only having 1 1/2 baths, a small lot and a small garage.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:12 PM

51,669 posts, read 25,904,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
With an excess of inventory buyers won't be willing to settle so the OP will need to wait for that special buyer that likes/loves older homes with a Tudor style, and doesn't care about the house only having 1 1/2 baths, a small lot and a small garage.
Which generally means buyers without children.

So stage it to appeal to a working couple.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,251,228 times
Dropped to $299,900.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:15 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,150,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It doesn't matter - most people don't have much imagination. And if people are distracted by the decor, they aren't focusing on what they should be focusing on. Feedback like "the houses are too close together" is b.s. - I used to live in a town in the northeast where the houses were too close together, if you're looking at houses there you already know this. People just don't want to say "I couldn't get past the decor to see what the house really had to offer" - maybe they can't even voice that themselves.

As a seller your house needs to be fabulous enough to overcome any objections, and there are always objections. You want people to think "I WANT TO LIVE HERE" without a "but" hanging off the end of the sentence.

OP, you need to get some neutral decor in that house. To each their own, but your taste is very busy and does not match the house. Buy some cheap solid color comforters at Walmart and throw them on the beds, pull up the area rugs and pull the furniture away from the walls in the living areas (it does not make your rooms look bigger). You need better lighting too.
Also, no one wants to see your dishtowels or counter appliances in the pictures (or during showings). Your house needs to look like a model house. Is that a pain when you have a family? Yes it is. But you want the house sold, so go do it.
Good luck.
I agree with all of this. At this point the OP has reduced the price enough that hopefully there will be some offers. But it's amazing how people are turned off by the smallest details. We recently put our house on the market (only 10 years old to start) and I put half of our stuff in storage, repainted neutral colors, and put all stuff away like appliances, bathroom items, kid stuff, etc. We got good feedback on our house (realtors posted it was beautiful) but no offers came. That's when I decided that I needed to remove a drape from the front window that I had hesitated to do due to the repainting/repairs I'd have to make to the hardware holes. I did that one morning, had three showings that night/next morning and all three made offers. Home sellers need to realize that things have changed as buyers have been weaned on HGTV and expect perfection. Gone are the days when buyers have the imagination to see beyond paint and decor items.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,150,183 times
I looked at your pictures again and I thought of some friends (no kids) who love tudor homes and have bought and lived in several of them. I recalled how they'd decorate and it hit me that your style of home (and the limited bathrooms) would definitely appeal to people without kids a lot more than those with families. Remember, people today have no imagination to see beyond your personal decor . So rent a storage facility if possible, and get a bunch of moving boxes (I like the ones from Home Depot). Ideally you want to move soon anyway so pretend you are. Pack up the kid furniture in the basement and make that into perhaps a media room if possible. Pack up all of the toys, books, knicknacks, runners, pictures on the walls and put those into storage too. I know how hard it is to do this with kids as I just went through it myself! And I did it with a cat that I'd put in the car (along with cat box) every time we had a showing (no one wants to see your pets). For your style of house people want the stark look where all of the wood is visible which means no rugs or curtains so put those away too. I know how daunting all of this criticism and advice is, but honestly I am surprised that your realtor didn't tell you this from the start. Makes me think you don't have the best agent. If your house still doesn't sell and you want to change agents look into the one who sold the comp house mentioned above.

Last edited by Coloradomom22; 07-06-2016 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-06-2016, 12:19 PM

182 posts, read 239,960 times
The only major drawback to the house is the lack of bathrooms. It's priced with that in mind. I love the kids bedrooms and would die for that attic space. I could totally see that being a home office

Just a few things that make the house seem small. The extra chest in the foyer near stairs makes it seem crowded. Move that out or some where else to open the flow in that hallway.

Fewer pieces of furniture in the formal dining room. If you moved out two of those it would make the room feel bigger. Let the light in by removing drapes. People like to see the wood frames of windows.

It's silly but I think the red front door trim color clashes w the brick....maybe a black trim color?

The rest of the home is staged really well in terms of color schemes and with a few pieces of the chunky furniture removed would look more airy.

The blue bathroom is divine.

I didn't see a pic of a famiky room.....sofa chairs area for chilling???

Are you getting showings?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:01 AM

5,297 posts, read 5,251,228 times
Looks like theres a pending offer.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:48 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,799,539 times
Good luck OP, looks like you had to drop the price, but you have a pending sale, it's a beautiful home but taxes are high.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:07 PM

51,669 posts, read 25,904,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Looks like theres a pending offer.
Beautiful home.

Agree with others in this thread that fewer items in the photos would show the rooms off better and the upstairs would make a terrific private office space.

Do stagers or real estate agents ever do a before set of photos and then circle the things to change before the MLS photos are taken?

Still under contract. Fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate