Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 02:38 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times

Advertisements

This spring I will be in the market to buy another home. I am wondering just how deep the bottom is. I am very concerned that if I make an offer of 90-95% of the asking price and then in six months the market value could drop by 70-80%. The market may come back but the current economics is unlike anything in the past and so there are no guarantees or even any positive speculation. I realize that RE agents/brokers will try to uphold the market but I am sure there are many sellers who are willing, or need, to accept a reasonably low offer.
I was looking in an area of PA but there are several foreclosures and declining town populations. In many cases townships have seen fit to increase taxes on the remaining residents to cover their needs and yet the home prices remain high. I see this as a recipe for financial disaster.
I am now looking in other areas.
Comments appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
In six months, you could also be dead.

If you're that freaked about the market, my advice would be to rent.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times
No one knows what will happen. In 6 months the home we just bought may be worth $425K, $100K less than what we paid. But we needed a home and I am happy with it. It's like when you need a new pair of pants...you can buy a pair of Dockers for $50 at the start of the season and then 3 months later they are half off. Did you need the pants? Did you want the pants? Then you got your utility out of it. If you don't need a home or if you don't want a home, then wait. But, just remember if you wait the prices may rise...you never know. Especially with the government stepping in and bailing people out. Who knows what affect that will have on the real estate market. And, who knows what the new government will do.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
You are not sure where you want to buy and yet are considering an offer of 90-95% of the ask.

Reality is one house might be worthy of 100% of the ask and the next 75%.

There are no hard fast rules. It all depends on how a given house relates to closed and active comps for the area.

My parents were both children of the depression era. Both families lost their homes during the great depression. This made such an impact on them, that they never could pull the trigger to buy a home and so we were renters and paid off other people's homes.

If you are going to put down roots, you ride out the tough times and enjoy the lifestyle. We all have to live somewhere.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
then in six months the market value could drop by 70-80%.
I'm guessing you meant you are afraid the value could drop by 20%-30%. Even those with the bleakest outlook don't predict 70%-80% price drops!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:16 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I am encouraging my worried clients just to rent. If you are going to live in the house for a long time and you find something you like make an offer. Out here, homes typically went for 98-99% of list, and we are hovering at 95% of list (for all home sales).

Like everyone else said, there are no guarantees of what the market is going to do. It also depends on your local market. I live in a very stable neighborhood, and one of my neighbors sold FSBO in 3 months in the Oct-Dec time frame.

Your home should be a relaxing place to hang your hat at the end of the day. If you are so worried about losing your equity, just rent.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:26 PM

86 posts, read 243,053 times
well said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I am encouraging my worried clients just to rent. If you are going to live in the house for a long time and you find something you like make an offer. Out here, homes typically went for 98-99% of list, and we are hovering at 95% of list (for all home sales).

Like everyone else said, there are no guarantees of what the market is going to do. It also depends on your local market. I live in a very stable neighborhood, and one of my neighbors sold FSBO in 3 months in the Oct-Dec time frame.

Your home should be a relaxing place to hang your hat at the end of the day. If you are so worried about losing your equity, just rent.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:29 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
We are looking at 5 acres in a nearby rural area that were purchased for $55,000 in 2002 and they want $110,000 now. No improvements to the land at all. In fact, it has a 2/1 mobile home on it in deplorable condition and some debris which we would get rid of. An expressway opened up during that time to make the drive into the city shorter, so I can see an increase in property value from that. It is also not covered in palmetto bushes which are horrible to clear. It's just brush.

I was thinking it would be about $80,000 and was shocked to see it at $110,000. Is it normal for the prices to double in 6 years in these days? I know the market was berserk in 2005-06, but double at this time? We're very much in the preliminary stages of our research on the property. We've just done a drive by, we're checking into wetland information, etc. to make sure it would be appropriate for horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate