Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 06:22 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,222 times

Advertisements

Yeah go for it. Then please start another thread detailing all of the little things you missed by not seeing the house in person. I will be popping popcorn and getting ready for a good read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 11:11 AM

34 posts, read 39,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Wait...let me get this straight...

You are about to spend $1million plus on a home but are too cheap to spend $1000 on a RT coast to coast flight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
If you can afford a million dollar home, you can afford a trip and a hotel stay for 1-2 weeks to either look at this house or if it doesn't work out find another one.
Like I said before, not about affordability of a trip to see it, but rather the logistics as we are busy physicians moving in 2 weeks and have 3 very young children. Regardless, we worked it out and it was just as fantastic as we expected based on innumerable photos and videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
But I also want to comment about your agent. If your realtor is such a hotshot and knows your likes so well, why did s/he not inform you about the house 40 days ago, or preferably even before it hit the MLS?
Agent is fantastic, really. House was more expensive than what we wanted to spend when it first came out. After a few price drops because the occupants need to leave ASAP, it was within our price range. Agent saw it the next day, I posted this question the day after that, and we were in contract the following day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I see that OP's husband is able to make a trip after all, but I think a key point is that OP's father was going to look at the house. I think the decision would turn on how much she trusts her dad's judgment and ability to assess the house in line with OP's needs.
Absolutely. My father, brother, and best friend all saw the house as well. I trust their combined judgment immensely!

Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminimagk View Post
Like I said before, not about affordability of a trip to see it, but rather the logistics as we are busy physicians moving in 2 weeks and have 3 very young children. Regardless, we worked it out and it was just as fantastic as we expected based on innumerable photos and videos.

Agent is fantastic, really. House was more expensive than what we wanted to spend when it first came out. After a few price drops because the occupants need to leave ASAP, it was within our price range. Agent saw it the next day, I posted this question the day after that, and we were in contract the following day.

Absolutely. My father, brother, and best friend all saw the house as well. I trust their combined judgment immensely!
Congratulations - and you don't sound "insane" to me at all!

Old 06-14-2016, 05:09 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
A house worth 100K, no not insane. A house worth 1 million? Yes, not only insane but down right, well...

If you can afford a million dollar home, you can afford a trip and a hotel stay for 1-2 weeks to either look at this house or if it doesn't work out find another one. Looking at 4 houses a day you should be able to find at least 3 to make offers on and at least one of those will close. Use financing, neighborhood review and inspection contingency to back out of the ones that you end up passing on when you get a signed contract.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Because the person who can only afford a 100k house may not be able to afford repairs that a person who is buying a million dollar house could make. Note that I wouldn't buy a house sight unseen in any price range. Robyn

Old 06-14-2016, 04:32 PM

195 posts, read 297,311 times
We've been house hunting, and we know 90% of what we need to know from online research. The inside of the house is least important to us because we plan on remodeling anyway. What we couldn't see online we could find out with a trusted family member and a check list.
The million dollar price tag means nothing. If that's what you can afford, it's your house. If 400k was what you could afford why would that make it better? Nonsense.
I hope you get it! Good luck!

Old 06-14-2016, 04:35 PM

195 posts, read 297,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminimagk View Post
UPDATE: Our offer was accepted yesterday. Husband toured today and loved it. Can't wait to move in!!
Just saw this. Congrats!!

Old 06-14-2016, 04:39 PM

500 posts, read 583,787 times
Yes, I bought a property sight unseen. Even bought all of the furniture and furnishings for the entire place before even stepping into the property. Yes, I had to buy every single little thing to furnish the place. However, it was only a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo that would be for short stays for ourselves and on vrbo.
**** Disclaimer*** I did have my daughter go see the property with the realtor. She toured the property they day after I sent her the listing. It had literally just came on the market, the location and price were perfect! In the market this was in, location is everything. A few weeks later a friend was there and she met up with the realtor, took measurements for me, drew out the floorplan for me (most important!) and took pictures and video for me. I needed this to buy the furniture. Drove 9 hours with a trailer full of furniture, dropped the trailer, spent the night in a hotel and went to close the next day. Had movers waiting for our return and our first time to step in the place. I still love it to this day. That was 3 years ago. This property was only $250k, so it is a big difference and I did have someone that knows us well go see the property, our daughter, even though she was 19 at the time.

Would I buy my residential home sight unseen? HECK NO! Why? We have been looking at houses for almost 2 years. We are picky though. And a floorplan can kill a house in an instant. I can not tell you how many houses we have looked at that look great online, the pictures sent look awesome, the google earth view is perfect, etc. Going to actually see the house, oh heck no! One such house the listing agent told our realtor that they had one potential buyer look at the house, had his wife fly in to see it as he was all excited. They never received any feedback from this clients realtor. Well, I know why! That wife probably told her husband he can no longer go look at any house without her. That was 3 months ago. The house is still on the market and has been for over 6 months now and they still have that thing listed at $925k. If my husband had seen that house and bought it without me seeing it, I'd kill him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate