Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
Hi Everyone,

I recently inherited a house from my parents that I will be looking to sell in the near future. The house is a large suburban house, 4 bedrooms, full basement, attic, all FULL of stuff. I would like it someone could critique my plan below and point out any issues or make some suggestions.

1. Take everything I need/want from the house as I have my own house
2. Rent a dumpster (there is a lot of stuff) to get rid of all the junk, leaving furniture, tables, beds, etc for staging.
3. Get rid of dumpster
4. Meeting with realtor to list the house
5. Get house under contract
6. Rent second dumpster to get rid of staging furniture
7. Close on deal/get rid of second dumpster

Does this seem like the right way to go about this? Thanks in advance!
You should add in #2 contact auctioneer to auction household items. Or if you have help have a big sale yourself. Or a thrift store that will pick up items for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 01:48 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Sell as is = profit??

Old 06-17-2016, 02:17 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I recently inherited a house from my parents that I will be looking to sell in the near future. The house is a large suburban house, 4 bedrooms, full basement, attic, all FULL of stuff. I would like it someone could critique my plan below and point out any issues or make some suggestions.

2. Rent a dumpster (there is a lot of stuff) to get rid of all the junk, leaving furniture, tables, beds, etc for staging.
3. Get rid of dumpster

The humanitarian in me would say for you to donate the items for #6 to a local veterans group or shelter.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I have to chuckle that this is the OP's parents place and it seems the OP is so unemotional about the "loads of dumpster junk". I will admit to many times judging how hard it would be to get a home ready to rent by mentally trying to assess how many cubic yards of material would be generated in the renovation, but this MIGHT NOT be the smartest think to plan on. The various "tipping fees" mean that anything that you can give to charity results in both a tax deduction and reduced disposal costs, you don't have to be a "tree hugger" to understand it is better to do that than pay to bury stuff.

It also may make sense to talk to an honest "estate sale" operator that will let you know if there might be a way to get the various "flea market find" types to pay you for stuff that they'll resell to hipsters in Brooklyn. Whether mom & dad had furniture that was from the "Atomic Era" or stuff from "Boogie Nights" there is probably somebody that will think is it "adorable"...

There are a large number of folks on these forums that claim to strongly prefer buying VACANT homes but the sales data from the broader population shows that STAGED HOMES attract more buyers, sell more quickly, and for a higher price than vacant. It makes sense to either talk with real estate agents that will have professionally staging done with furniture they supply or use existing furniture to show off the home's potential.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:22 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
So I guess you're the only child so there's no question about what a sibling might want. How about any other adult or younger relative or neighbors or friends who knew them and loved them for years?

There are likely a number of antique/vintage/resale/consignment shops around you. Consignments shops and the others will often pay a price outright if you don't want to consign. Or at least they will take the good stuff and store it and you'll get a check now and then as they sell them. They are generally experienced to know if something is good or not. You may be tossing MCM decor and furnishings or whatever.

There are, as other have said, lots of groups, veterans, habitat re-stores.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:27 PM

107 posts, read 219,440 times
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

To those with snarky comments thank you, that was entertaining as well.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:31 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
When my in-laws had to be moved to assisted living we did the estate sale thing. The woman we hired took care of everything and there was very little left to throw out. It is amazing what people will buy.

Last edited by maggie2101; 06-17-2016 at 05:05 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 04:49 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times
You are still grieving! Slow down you are in a stage of over-simplyfying.
Take your time. You will regret moving too fast. Other than broken or soiled items, some the junk you speak of could console you someday in the future as you hold it in your hands and reminisce.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

3. Get rid of dumpster

There are organizations (though I don't know the names) who will hold an estate sale for you for a fee or portion of the profit. There has to be stuff in the house that someone could use, even if you can't. Please don't send it all to the landfill.

Take what you want

Meet with realtor

Have estate sale

Have charity pick up the rest, depending on what realtor says about staging

Clean house

List house

Get contract

Have charity pick up remaining furniture, if there is any.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Call up a guy who deals in estate sales. Sometimes they buy everything. Take out what you want. I round look through everything. Lots of "old" stuff is worth a lot of money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate