Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:16 AM

21 posts, read 26,595 times

Advertisements

Also, on another note. I only know for certain 3 of the buildings are occupied. Still, for all I know the others are vacant, city planning to demolish, of vacate them all in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:29 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarofaloS View Post
Also, on another note. I only know for certain 3 of the buildings are occupied. Still, for all I know the others are vacant, city planning to demolish, of vacate them all in general.
I know someone who bought an older home on a large lot for a few farm animals. He loved the larger lot next door to him. Turned out when he went to the city for a permit for something he found out that was being zoned for apartments.

So go to you city and find out what the future plans are they may have.

Also, project into the future. If you'll have kids, will they be happy and have area friends. If you have kids, you'll have a spouse. Will your spouse be happy there?

How do you see the future you living?

Old 06-21-2016, 11:35 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I'll try to answer as much as I can in this one post.

The neighborhood itself has close to no crime.

Why do I want a house this big? Well, because personally if I'm going to purchase a home, I'd rather have one to set my current and future needs rather than do it in all different steps.

Moss Point isn't known for their school systems, I do not have kids yet, but it's something that's a turn off.

The homes around this one (the actual kept up homes that are right down a road connected to this one) are going for about 65-95k.

Resale wise I wouldn't worry too much about that, because I'd intend to stay for quite some time and by then the neighborhood could possibly get better, or better yet, demolished :P. I mean, it can't get much worse.

But all jokes aside, like I said, it doesn't seem to be ghetto, or lots of crime (that's not to say the people are doing some sort of drugs), it just seems the people are either Poor, lazy, or just don't care, possibly all 3.

Also, there is a church right next door to us and sex offenders aren't allowed to live close to a church.

Actually Mississippi is fine with sex offenders living near churches. They can't live within 1,500 feet of schools, parks, public pools, or anywhere that children under 18 congregate. This does not include churches, shopping malls, or anywhere else that are not geared specifically toward children.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:16 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Here's a start for sex offenders. You can search by geographic area, even by street, and by name.

Public Sex Offender Registry

Old 06-21-2016, 02:47 PM

21 posts, read 26,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Here's a start for sex offenders. You can search by geographic area, even by street, and by name.

Public Sex Offender Registry

Thank you for the link, I ran the search and it came up fine, just 2 within the mile, even did where I am living now, which is a nice neighborhood and there was 1 within the mile.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:55 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,692 times
"Buy the worst home on the best block."

Truer words were never spoken.

I'd pass.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:36 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

But all jokes aside, like I said, it doesn't seem to be ghetto, or lots of crime (that's not to say the people are doing some sort of drugs), it just seems the people are either Poor, lazy, or just don't care, possibly all 3.
Poor, lazy, just don't care. Isn't that what ghetto means?

Old 06-21-2016, 05:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
As a long time Realtor I would live by one rule:

Never buy the by far the best house in a low class neighborhood, as in the future it usually gets worse.

You say you are buying for a long time residence. Problem is, you don't have any idea what your plans will be in the future and if you will have a reason you must sell in the near future. You would have a lot more fun, flying to Las Vegas and trying to make a killing there with the money you would be investing in that house.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Nope! You never want to buy the nicest house in the neighborhood.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:37 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
In the mid-80s I briefly dated a guy who lived in a similar neighborhood. A mish mash of really crappy trailers, some nicer modulars and some stick built homes of various quality. In 30 years ther's been little change except everything got older and even more run down. A beautiful lakeside subdivision was built across the highway but it sure didn't help.

One of the reasons I quit dating the guy was his neighborhood. I didn't like to even go there to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate