Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 07:34 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,966,902 times

Advertisements

FNM First Look is program for those who plan to live in the home for at least X years (I believe it was 1 or 2 the last time I checked). Freddie Mac has similar program and both has penalties if one decides to rent it out (there is a formula that they use). As far as restriction for purchases, they don't care WITH THE EXCEPTION that there may be properties that has income restrictions. I've seen listing where there are restriction on the property itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 07:36 AM

10,137 posts, read 6,512,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Actually, the First Look program is for owner-occupants (those who will live in the home; not flippers), not necessarily just first-time buyers.
Yeah, I told him about the "owner-occupier" restriction in his other thread about using "public funds". I really wish the OP would either educate himself on the FNMA program, since there is so much info available, or at least consolidate his threads in order to avoid duplication in answering his questions. However, I'm not sure he really wants to "hear" the answers.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:40 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,966,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomocrabcakes View Post
I see. I am a first time would be buyer. I hope I get it all figured out before they open the doors to everyone. I called up and never got a response still. Must I go into the office and actually show real interest in the property? Should I walk into the realtor office and make offers and show all necessary paper works to get the best deal there is? I just want to be ready and look like I did my homework so I get the best deals and make everyone's day easy and transactions smooth.

FNM properties are usually listed by smaller listing offices. Depending on the market, some of the RE professionals may be very responsive or some just never respond. In my market, I always find it easier to just contact the listing office vs brining my own buyer agent. I like to deal with the listing agent directly. This is not something I suggest for first time home buyer. My last FNM purchase took about 45 days and was pretty straight forward. I know what I wanted to pay and presented to the listing office.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:57 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,316,767 times
OP, most states have programs offering first time homebuyer classes so you can learn more about the process. I strongly urge you to take one, so that you have a better idea of what the home purchase process is. Your questions make it clear that you are currently in over your head at this point.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:07 AM

I can't "rep" you right now. emm74, but you're spot-on!

Old 07-01-2016, 08:13 AM

45,598 posts, read 60,994,807 times
The questions in this thread, as well as a couple threads started in the Maryland Forum, are very similar to ones from a now banned poster.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:17 AM

Baltimore real estate is service by Redfin, which lists properties to be auctioned, HUD and FNMA properties. There are hundreds of them in both the location and the price range that the OP is looking at; however, he really needs to get educated on all of the programs or get a good mortgage broker who can qualify him and find the best program.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:44 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
or get a good mortgage broker who can qualify him and find the best program.

I believe, from info from multiple threads, that the OP is not looking to finance anything. He is looking to pay cash for a property. He doesn't need a program; just a property in his price range (which appears to be awfully low.)

Old 07-01-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I believe, from info from multiple threads, that the OP is not looking to finance anything. He is looking to pay cash for a property. He doesn't need a program; just a property in his price range (which appears to be awfully low.)
True; and as I indicated above, if he checks the listings on Redfin (which are real-time, btw), there are more than 10 pages of SFH listings less than 50K in Baltimore. A great many of them are less than 20K, and I even saw a lot for 5K. He can't get much lower than that. However, if he's looking for a cheap price AND a good neighborhood, the search may take him a little longer. There are scads of upcoming auctions though.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:24 AM

19,465 posts, read 27,995,188 times
Quote:
Things change. https://www.city-data.com/forum/mortg...e-company.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate