Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 05:11 AM

80 posts, read 108,523 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. If one is to pay the house in cash (say a $20K house), is this allowed by fannie mae? This might get considered as someone "having money" to pay a house in cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 05:36 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,616,728 times
If you're buying cash you can basically buy make a offer on any house you want. The lender isn't in the picture as you're not borrowing.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 AM

320 posts, read 514,764 times
Fannie Mae buys mortgages after the loans are made. Unless its a specific type of govt insured loan, they have no part of the purchase process.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:34 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,162,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
Fannie Mae buys mortgages after the loans are made. Unless its a specific type of govt insured loan, they have no part of the purchase process.

not entirely true. Fannie and Freddie both have a portfolio of owned Real Estate (REOs - usually foreclosures that didn't sell at auction) that they sell to buyers.

As far as I know, there is no income limit for buyers.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,334,269 times
Let's put it this way. If you don't have money or the ability to borrow it, you won't get a FNMA house

Old 07-01-2016, 01:02 AM

How do I gain this ability to borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Let's put it this way. If you don't have money or the ability to borrow it, you won't get a FNMA house

Old 07-01-2016, 05:06 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,948,848 times
OP, Fannie offers their REO listings to first time buyers, first. After an initial restricted period for those first time buyers, they open the floor to all bids, cash and investors.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:58 AM

I see. I am a first time would be buyer. I hope I get it all figured out before they open the doors to everyone. I called up and never got a response still. Must I go into the office and actually show real interest in the property? Should I walk into the realtor office and make offers and show all necessary paper works to get the best deal there is? I just want to be ready and look like I did my homework so I get the best deals and make everyone's day easy and transactions smooth.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:22 AM

10,114 posts, read 6,467,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomocrabcakes View Post
I see. I am a first time would be buyer. I hope I get it all figured out before they open the doors to everyone. I called up and never got a response still. Must I go into the office and actually show real interest in the property? Should I walk into the realtor office and make offers and show all necessary paper works to get the best deal there is? I just want to be ready and look like I did my homework so I get the best deals and make everyone's day easy and transactions smooth.
That might be helpful. Otherwise, what do you expect, that the realtors are just going to wait for your offer? FNMA properties are a pretty hot commodity for low income buyers, particularly in an investor-rich environment like Baltimore, and also in neighborhoods like the ones where you are showing listings. You REALLY need to find a buyers agent who will be proactive on your behalf, otherwise you will consistently lose out on properties you want and can afford.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:24 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,162,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
OP, Fannie offers their REO listings to first time buyers, first. After an initial restricted period for those first time buyers, they open the floor to all bids, cash and investors.

Actually, the First Look program is for owner-occupants (those who will live in the home; not flippers), not necessarily just first-time buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate