Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 04:00 PM

9 posts, read 17,501 times

Advertisements

My house closed escrow and the realtor had me fill out a three day admendment because escrow had not closed on my new house yet. The three days came around and escrow still had not closed. I told my realtor she should contact the new buyers and tell them they can't move in yet because I had not moved out yet.
She did not try to contact them. Little did I know what the plans was waiting for me. My realtor knew what was going to happen and did nothing to stop it.

They showed up the next day the son and the father and they saw that I was not ready to leave and they started yelling and screaming at me to get out of there house and told me I had to be out in five hours. I was in shock. Here I was worried about them when I should have been worried about me. My realtor knew they were going to be coming over my house because she was there when they showed up. She had no other business there. While they were yelling at me they said you made $50,000 off the house spend that money to find somewhere to go. I thought to myself. I haven't even received my money yet. My realtor had hers and I asked her where my money was and she said she didn't know. She did not say one word in my behalf. She just stood there. The buyers went outside and I walked to my computer and said I guess I need movers, storage unit and a motel. My realtor still didn't say a word to me. I was so upset about having to leave "I told her to get the hell out of my house and I didn't want to see her again.'

By this time it was already 5 pm and I started calling my girlfriends and we started clearing out the house to the back yard. There were no movers available at this time of day. We got almost the entire house cleared out. The following day the home owners came back and saw that I wasn't ready to go. By this time I was able to get on my computer and look for movers. All of the reputable movers were all busy. I grabbed anyone company I could and they said they would be at the house by 9 am. Well at 1 pm they were still not there and the homeowners started yelling at me in the front yard telling me they were tired of my excuses and were going to call the police. I called my realtor and she said she was busy. The movers finally showed up and I had them move everything into the garage. By this time it was 105 degrees out, I had not eaten and the stress was killing me. I grabbed my dog and cat and went and rented a storage unit and we went to a motel.

The next day the movers didn't get there until 12 pm to move my stuff into storage. They were terrible. They forgot or stole and rock crystal my father had bought for my mom, the bird bath, extension ladder, a regular ladder, all of my plants, my ipad, $660 out of my sock drawer, a vacuum, my ironing board and a few more things. They also broke my sleep number bed, wheels on my armoire and a couple of chairs. I found out this a week later when I hired new movers to move my stuff to my new home now that escrow has finally closed. I texted my realtor and told her what was missing. She said the home owner gave me a week to pick up anything or threw it away. I was never give a message that anything was even ever left at the house. I ended up spending $900 on the first movers, $200 on the storage units, $500 for the motel and $900 for the second set of movers.

Since all of this has happened I have not spoken to my realtor. She will not talk to me because she said I told her to get out of my house. How would she have felt. She did nothing to back me up. She didn't ask for a few days for me or call someone and find out what to do. I feel she should pay for some of my expenses for the week I was with no house. No way is she going to give me anything. I went to her broker and he said he would talk to her and I have heard nothing.

She was also my realtor for my new house. Once escrow closed she had the other realtor put my key under a rock in the backyard and I received a phone call saying where the keys were. i moved into a retirement community and it took me an arm and leg to get in through the guard and then i had to go register at the office. I was told my realtor was supposed to give me the pamphlet and all the information. Well my realtor doesn't want to see me. It sure doesn't sound very professional to me that she had the other agent put my key under a rock for me to get.

This was the absolute worst week of my entre life. I wore the same clothes for three days. My poor cat and dog were stressed out. My realtor has never even looked up a house for me. I have always found every house we ever went to, I always drove and bought us both lunch. Can I file a complaint on my realtor? Why didn't she try to help me? Should she help me pay the expenses.
I thought a realtor was to cover my back and work for me. Please advise. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 04:05 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Name and shame the realtor.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:13 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Didn't you understand that once you sold your house it was no longer "your" house? I simply don't understand why you didn't start packing sooner. Moving can be very difficult, but it's only made more stressful if you wait until the last minute...or after the last minute in your case.

I'm sorry for your troubles but it's difficult to have too much empathy, given the circumstances you've described.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 07-13-2016 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-13-2016, 04:21 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffin View Post
My house closed escrow and the realtor had me fill out a three day admendment because escrow had not closed on my new house yet. The three days came around and escrow still had not closed. I told my realtor she should contact the new buyers and tell them they can't move in yet because I had not moved out yet.
She did not try to contact them. Little did I know what the plans was waiting for me. My realtor knew what was going to happen and did nothing to stop it.

They showed up the next day the son and the father and they saw that I was not ready to leave and they started yelling and screaming at me to get out of there house and told me I had to be out in five hours. I was in shock. Here I was worried about them when I should have been worried about me. My realtor knew they were going to be coming over my house because she was there when they showed up. She had no other business there. While they were yelling at me they said you made $50,000 off the house spend that money to find somewhere to go. I thought to myself. I haven't even received my money yet. My realtor had hers and I asked her where my money was and she said she didn't know. She did not say one word in my behalf. She just stood there. The buyers went outside and I walked to my computer and said I guess I need movers, storage unit and a motel. My realtor still didn't say a word to me. I was so upset about having to leave "I told her to get the hell out of my house and I didn't want to see her again.'

By this time it was already 5 pm and I started calling my girlfriends and we started clearing out the house to the back yard. There were no movers available at this time of day. We got almost the entire house cleared out. The following day the home owners came back and saw that I wasn't ready to go. By this time I was able to get on my computer and look for movers. All of the reputable movers were all busy. I grabbed anyone company I could and they said they would be at the house by 9 am. Well at 1 pm they were still not there and the homeowners started yelling at me in the front yard telling me they were tired of my excuses and were going to call the police. I called my realtor and she said she was busy. The movers finally showed up and I had them move everything into the garage. By this time it was 105 degrees out, I had not eaten and the stress was killing me. I grabbed my dog and cat and went and rented a storage unit and we went to a motel.

The next day the movers didn't get there until 12 pm to move my stuff into storage. They were terrible. They forgot or stole and rock crystal my father had bought for my mom, the bird bath, extension ladder, a regular ladder, all of my plants, my ipad, $660 out of my sock drawer, a vacuum, my ironing board and a few more things. They also broke my sleep number bed, wheels on my armoire and a couple of chairs. I found out this a week later when I hired new movers to move my stuff to my new home now that escrow has finally closed. I texted my realtor and told her what was missing. She said the home owner gave me a week to pick up anything or threw it away. I was never give a message that anything was even ever left at the house. I ended up spending $900 on the first movers, $200 on the storage units, $500 for the motel and $900 for the second set of movers.

Since all of this has happened I have not spoken to my realtor. She will not talk to me because she said I told her to get out of my house. How would she have felt. She did nothing to back me up. She didn't ask for a few days for me or call someone and find out what to do. I feel she should pay for some of my expenses for the week I was with no house. No way is she going to give me anything. I went to her broker and he said he would talk to her and I have heard nothing.

She was also my realtor for my new house. Once escrow closed she had the other realtor put my key under a rock in the backyard and I received a phone call saying where the keys were. i moved into a retirement community and it took me an arm and leg to get in through the guard and then i had to go register at the office. I was told my realtor was supposed to give me the pamphlet and all the information. Well my realtor doesn't want to see me. It sure doesn't sound very professional to me that she had the other agent put my key under a rock for me to get.

This was the absolute worst week of my entre life. I wore the same clothes for three days. My poor cat and dog were stressed out. My realtor has never even looked up a house for me. I have always found every house we ever went to, I always drove and bought us both lunch. Can I file a complaint on my realtor? Why didn't she try to help me? Should she help me pay the expenses.
I thought a realtor was to cover my back and work for me. Please advise. thank you
Why don't you have a real-estate lawyer? You say the extension was THREE days after close, but you're also saying it took a week for you to get in your new house.

While this whole thing was a horrible idea, I'm not sure why you hadn't packed your house up yet?

This was a really simple situation that you dropped the ball on.

If you're moving, order a POD, pack it up, keep the few essentials you need, then they take the POD and will deliver it to your new house.

I'd say you're damn lucky the new OWNERS never called the cops or destroyed your belongings.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:44 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
She did back you up. She managed to get 3 days extension on your move out. Did you pay rent for those 3 days you were living in the buyers house, or did she get the buyers to give it to you for free? It sounds like you had a delay on your purchase and you expected everyone else to change their plans to accommodate you.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:44 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Didn't you understand that once you sold your house it is no longer "your" house? I simply don't understand why you didn't start packing sooner. Moving can be very difficult, but it's only made more stressful if you wait until the last minute...or after the last minute in your case.

I'm sorry for your troubles but it's difficult to have too much empathy, given the circumstances you've described.
I'm also sorry you went through this, but the house no longer belonged to you and at that point, you were not much more than a squatter. You had no right to be there anymore. The new owners had no obligation to accommodate their move according to your needs.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:59 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,245,675 times
So you waited until the last day of your extension to ask your realtor to get you another extension? Perhaps she was unable to reach them in their hectic day before move-in and at least showed up when they would arrive to be there for that. She could not tell them outright that they could not move in yet as legally they owned the house. You then threw a tantrum and said you didn't want to see her again, and she has avoided you since. Could the realtor have done more to defuse the situation? Maybe. Maybe she was also being wise and not saying anything with legal ramifications in a heated moment.

As has been said you should have at least had everything packed up and ready to go in boxes well before that point. In a situation like this with the possibility of having some overlap, most things should have already been in storage. Again your realtor could have likely coached you better on that but the responsibility is still yours. Difference in a 5 star vs a 3 star review. But not negligence where she should bear some of the expenses you incurred by being unprepared.

Meanwhile your buyers had their moving plans disrupted costing them time and money. Not to mention I expect the place wasn't left in the best clean condition as you rushed to move out last minute.

Last edited by notnamed; 07-13-2016 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 05:03 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Shoot, I started packing up the house 6 months before moving.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:11 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I only feel sorry for your animals.

I hope you learned your lesson.

1. pack your stuff ahead.
2. move out even if it is into a hotel for now.
3. don't make others responsible for your failure.

Your responsible as a seller is to BE OUT once escrow closes.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:27 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Your story makes no sense at all.

Quote:
I thought to myself. I haven't even received my money yet.
Why not? Didn't you go to the title company to pick up your check once your house sale closed? Were they supposed to wire it?

Knowing your move was imminent, you had not yet even started packing, called a moving company, etc.? You were "shocked" that the new owners thought they had some sort of right to take possession of their property?

You had a temper tantrum at your real estate agent and now think she is responsible for your moving expenses?

You don't sound like an adult who has owned real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate