Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:45 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times

Advertisements

You lost me at "new." I could never live in new construction and especially something that small. I'll take a spooky old house in town with a mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 11:55 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,781,344 times
Quote:
I'll take the rural 5 acres as long as it has internet access and is in a warm climate. We'd put in a pool and a few guest cabins to house the kids/grandkids when they come visit.
In most areas of the country, 5 acres is about the smallest properties you can build a house on, and you are not allowed to put in the second or more dwellings on the property, per zoning regulations.

Our home is on 5 acre across the county road from the best area of the town, 3, 700 sq. ft., 4 level home, and barn with stables and rail fencing. That small of a home in the example would be too small for us to consider. Our housekeeper comes in 3 days a week, to keep the house nice and clean.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:04 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,734,005 times
Tiny house in a rural area would be my own personal Hell. So whatever it took to be near civilization. Even a mortgage vs. no mortgage.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,734,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
In most areas of the country, 5 acres is about the smallest properties you can build a house on, and you are not allowed to put in the second or more dwellings on the property, per zoning regulations.

Our home is on 5 acre across the county road from the best area of the town, 3, 700 sq. ft., 4 level home, and barn with stables and rail fencing. That small of a home in the example would be too small for us to consider. Our housekeeper comes in 3 days a week, to keep the house nice and clean.
??? Most areas? I've never lived in an area where most people lived on 5 acres of property. I've only been in areas where one acre was the most, and most of the properties were smaller than that. I've never even owned an acre.

Maybe you can say "most" if the measure is geographic square feet within the nation's boundaries. But you can't say "most" if you're talking about where the majority of the population lives.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:09 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,708,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Can I expand the rural house???
If you don't have a mortgage, you would have a lot more money to play around with. 5 acres allows for a lot of expansion, unless it is on the side of a mountain or is swampland up to your doorway... so, yeah, I think you could.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:16 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,708,167 times
Looking around at my two, mortgage-free 5 acre places out in the country... yep. I have that in 2 states - one with a good-sized house, and one with about 800 sq feet, plus several outbuildings on both. Only thing I really want is better internet access, since the only high speed here at the moment is via satellite. I just nap when it is raining.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:18 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,601,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
Interesting comments so far! To answer one question, it is possible to expand. I asked because I'm curious, but at the same time that is what I am going to do. I am going to be a bit of a working homesteader and am working to get the house paid off right away! I will be the only occupant most of the time with occasional visitors so I think it would be just the right size for me. I was just interested to see how people would respond given a similar situation. ��
You won't meet many people of the opposite gender out there. Or people of like mind to be pals with. I like alone time, but that sounds a bit lonely. What if you get injured out there? Is there anyone nearby who would know?

Old 08-03-2016, 01:23 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,498,105 times
I would be fine with the 900 square feet, and I'd be fine with rural as long as I didn't have to commute every day to work, and as long as it had internet, but I'd hate the 5 acres to care for.

So with those qualifications, I would choose that one. Otherwise, I'd buy below my means where I want to be and have a small mortgage, which is what I actually did.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:47 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,763,225 times
My main considerations at this point in my life are a quality school for my children, and reasonable driving distance from work. So I can't make a determination based on the info given, because I would choose whichever house had the best school available, public, private, or otherwise, while still being within a 45 minute drive of the office.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 PM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
LMAO at how many peppe can't children's an either/or question.

I'd rather pay for a mortgage for something I want than settle for something I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate