Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:27 AM

21,997 posts, read 13,038,107 times

Advertisements

Sure, why not? Doesn't everyone beg for handouts on gofundme or via fundraisers these days? SMH...

It seems that senior and/or disability services could help if they qualify. We already pay taxes for that!

Last edited by otterhere; 08-11-2016 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,248,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteGem View Post
I went with her today to check about being moved up on the list and spoke with the Executive Director at housing, unfortunately were told there is nothing that can be done and given a number for a shelter which of course doesn't allow pets.

Neither the landlord nor the broker has called or stopped by since last week, not sure if they even listed the place yet, we checked online but nothing shows on google. All is know is what I was told that the landlord told them, they need the money and are selling the place and sent the broker over. It's not going to be easy because they don't even own a car to get around.
Did you go with them to Senior Services, or an agency that works with their disability issues. Or if they are at the age where they can consider independent living in a facility meant for seniors...

I previously posted some links that may help you, but I didn't post this below which is helpful to anyone, and has nothing to do with disability, age or anything....Anyone can utilize this resource any time.

Call 211 from their phone, cell or landline and start asking questions.
That is a resource information line where trained volunteers can give you the Agency contact info relative to any issue you ask about. It is U.S. wide, 211 from any State will have the info for that State, County, City. http://www.211.org/

Old 08-11-2016, 09:46 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Sure, why not? Doesn't everyone beg for handouts on gofundme or via fundraisers these days? SMH...

It seems that senior and/or disability services could help if they qualify. We already pay taxes for that!
No one said beg for handouts. Benefit fundraisers are things like car washes, dinners, etc. So the person is donating by purchasing a good or service. It doesn't sound like they would need much money and they are disabled so they do not have the option of doing work to get the extra cash they need.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:36 PM

212 posts, read 162,591 times
I wanted to update everyone, I just got word that they found a place and they are moving. I'm so happy for them. Thank you to everyone for their consideration and helpful advice.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:53 PM

8,277 posts, read 8,675,688 times
Quote:
I wanted to update everyone, I just got word that they found a place and they are moving. I'm so happy for them. Thank you to everyone for their consideration and helpful advice.
I hope they got to keep the pets.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:16 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,788,265 times
Quote:
My neighbor who is almost 60 years and disabled with disabled husband and two pets, has been told by his landlord that the house is being sold and sent a broker the next day to look at the place and take pictures so it can be listed.

The broker asked her for a set of keys so that a lock box can be placed. She doesn't have a lease, expired years ago and is not sure what her rights are. Is she required to provide the broker with a set of keys? She would prefer that they call if someone wants to come by and see the place.

The broker also asked her when would they be moving out. They live on a fixed income while waiting on a low income housing list for which they have been interviewed and are waiting for background checks to come back and cannot afford to move otherwise. The broker told her they have 6-8 weeks.

I am not sure what advise I can offer and would like some input to help her during this time.
If she doesn't have a lease she is month to month and they can tell her to leave in 30 days. Unless they find a cash buyer it will normally take 45 days to close on a mortgage.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:00 AM

Default Owner selling house wants tenants to vacate asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I hope they got to keep the pets.
Unfortunately one of the fur babies passed away due to cancer however the younger one is doing well and they will be looking into getting an ESA letter for him.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
Unfortunately one of the fur babies passed away due to cancer however the younger one is doing well and they will be looking into getting an ESA letter for him.
While I am certainly glad that your friends found housing, but is it really fair to their new landlord, that does not allow pets, for their current pet dog to suddenly become an Emotional Service Animal?

Why didn't they look for and move into an apartment that accepts pets?

Old 10-02-2016, 12:00 PM

32,678 posts, read 48,163,278 times
Quote:
........they will be looking into getting an ESA letter for him.
I just lost any sympathy for these deceitful people. They are going to pretend to be mentally handicapped in order to get special privileges? That's reprehensible.

You did say that they are both handicapped but the pets were pets, not necessary medical devices.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:39 PM

They are not deceitful at all, they are a very nice older couple who worked hard all of their lives. Now that they are older, the husband has dementia (he can no longer work) and his wife is physically disabled (but still works part-time) so I am sure their animal qualifies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate