Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:25 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

Do feel that realtors either can't or won't see bubbles that can't be sustaned?
They are human and many humans will convince themselves
that nothing bad is coming in all sorts of scenarios.
Or won't talk about them? Because, well, it would hurt sales.
I think most agents, like the general public, isn't aware of a bubble until it pops. That, IMO, was certainly the case in 2006-2008. If they were aware, I think most agents would advise clients with the knowledge the possessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 01:23 PM

748 posts, read 833,659 times
At least where I live, the question isn't a bubble or not, but micro-neighborhoods that will continue to do well. The maxim of location holds ever truer in today's market.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:30 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I think most agents, like the general public, isn't aware of a bubble until it pops. ........
I don't think that the general public is even aware of a bubble when it pops. Months later, they are sitting around going "What happened?"

Old 11-16-2016, 06:46 PM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
As others have stated, realtors don't have crystal balls, so they can't really tell you if the local market is in a bubble or if it is going to crash. There are some experts who say that the housing is bubbling in some markets in the US, including the man who predicted the last housing crash. Even this though is merely prediction. It's like weather forecasting and stock speculation, you can guess, but can't know for sure until it happens.

That being said, if they did know your market is in a bubble, or believed it was in a bubble, would they tell the buyer? I think it depends on the honesty of the realtor, but I would assume that most would not tell a buyer. That could discourage a potential sale.

Realtors, real estate investors, and others who work in the real estate business profit from the sale of homes, and they profit more from the sale of homes at higher prices. So don't expect them to tell you house prices are likely to come down.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:13 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
"how long do you expect to be in this house?"
"how much of your approved amount are you actually spending/borrowing?"

sure, those are questions that I ask my buying clients. and no matter the market, if they've indicate a strong possibility of moving in 2 years, my advice has been to continue renting.

Would that be the same in a place like CA or DC where 2 years can mean 30-40% appreciation? Probably not exactly the same.

Note I haven't asked them "how much do you expect to appreciate per year?"

Old 11-17-2016, 01:08 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Some good responses here. Yes, it's all speculation there's a bubble until it pops. Historically prices have reset themselves every 20-25 years.

Some agents may correctly speculate when it's about to pop or if there is a bubble, some won't. Of those that correctly judge there is a bubble, some may share with clients and some may not. So I guess the best answer for your question is..."Sometimes?".

I've learned to project appreciation/depreciation in my very specific market as long as no external factors influence the market unexpectedly but I won't be able to predict when the bubble pops. In fact I likely won't realize it's happened until about 6 months after the fact, best case.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
knock on wood, I haven't had the client yet who looked for 3 years, started wondering if there was a bubble, backed off, and then restarted the whole charade 5 years later.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:21 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
As interest rates rise with inflation and wages continue to stagnate we will have downward pressure on house prices. You cannot maintain current prices unless we start to see significant job growth and more importantly real wages increase. Hard to imagine wage increase without tax increases in the current environment.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:18 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,745,428 times
A better question would be: Where are we in the normal real estate cycle? The last 3 cycles, that have been completed since the mid 70s to prices bottoming at around 2012, average at about 12 years each from the bottoming of prices from one cycle to the next. I'm getting this from looking at the case schiller national inflation adjusted chart.

So the most recent 3 cycles were 12 years. Prices bottomed 2012. Now we have about 5 years of price increases. If history is an indicator of what will happen, then we are a year away from the price peak.

I realize that there isn't an exact way to predict the peak of the market. But most of the normal amount of years for price increases have passed in the current cycle.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:28 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
If a RE agent could honestly and accurately predict a 'bubble' he could toss away his RE license and make 10,0000% more as a financial analyst / investor. As he would be the most sought after man ( or woman ) on the planet

Your scenario is akin to a dog chasing its own tail OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate