Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 01:32 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Your post at the top is what I quoted and responded to.
It's not about making a point.
I am concerned that this lawyer is actually damaging/preventing a deal from going through out of his ineptitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
You said you signed an agreement, so the terms of that agreement will dictate your rights to terminate or other remedies. What does your agreement state about required performance by the attorney, how has he breached that performance requirement and are you given the right to terminate the contract without giving him an opportunity to remedy the situation?
I do think the agreement gives me the right to terminate the relationship.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:49 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times
Can you be more specific as to what your beef is? And, how are you so sure that you're so right on this issue? Just saying.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Can you be more specific as to what your beef is? And, how are you so sure that you're so right on this issue? Just saying.
It's not necessarily about "right."
I am the customer.
If I'm not happy or comfortable with the service I'm receiving,I would think I have the prerogative to switch lawyers?

Old 10-30-2016, 05:22 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
I've sat through some lawyers who took one, two, three hours to do a 1/2 hour settlement. And some who, nowadays when the paperwork got a lot longer, postponed at the last minute rather than eke into the evening because of their lack of prep. BUT, these were mostly lawyers not at all familiar with all the ramifications of real estate settlements.

I had buyers several years ago who wanted to use their adoption lawyer for their real estate settlement. (That area now more commonly used title companies, settlement companies rather than an actual in person lawyer at settlements.)

These guys thought they were great, making arrangements to leave their glamorous offices in a big city, and borrow space in another lawyer's office after hours for the settlement in their clients immediate area. They made a mess of it. They did bring a secretary who noted the entire transaction and even she could see they didn't know what they were doing. They made a lot of errors on the settlement sheet. And took hours. And were not prepared with any way to correct errors. The seller was not present. He was an experienced real estate attorney and when he received the paperwork he said it was chicken scratch. He was not going to sign that and they had to do it all over.

Somehow, my company got a bill from these guys. I communicated back. No response. Got another bill. So I contacted the head lawyer at their firm, a decent, honorable old school gentleman who was concerned about the reputation of his firm. I told him about the lack of prep, the instructions on how to do a settlement that I had to provide these guys, the chicken scratch comment from another attorney, the fiasco, etc and said if they expect my end to pay, dream on.

The head of the firm thought it over quickly....an apology and no more bills.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:24 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,417,745 times
You have the right to switch lawyers. What you might owe the current lawyer would depend upon your contract.

Quote:
By your estimation a person cannot fire their attorney without having to prepare to defend themselves? That is ludicrous.....attorneys are hired and fired just like any other business professional that you hire.....If they aren't doing their due diligence.
I disagree. A lawyer is much more likely to sue to recover damages if they feel that they have a case.

Quote:
OP.....The most that might happen imo would be he would send the bill to a collections company for collection of an unpaid bill. But, if she fires him before the processes happen that would allow him to charge the remaining 1300....He can't collect for work not done.
You can't really say that without reading their contract. I have no idea what their contract says either.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:40 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
You have the right to switch lawyers. What you might owe the current lawyer would depend upon your contract.

I disagree. A lawyer is much more likely to sue to recover damages if they feel that they have a case.

You can't really say that without reading their contract. I have no idea what their contract says either.
I used the wording "if" and other qualifiers because I, like everyone else is responding to a vague scenario.
But, Lawyers are hired and fired.....

A Lawyer's damages would only be what is owed according to their retainer agreement. That would be a billing issue, not a lawsuit issue. You cannot collect what is not owed.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:05 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I am the customer.
If I'm not happy or comfortable with the service I'm receiving,I would think I have the prerogative to switch lawyers?
I see.

If you just wanted to know if a real estate lawyer could be fired in your state, and NOT discuss your actual situation with anyone, wouldn't it have been easier for you to just Google it? You could have had your answer in a few minutes.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I see.

If you just wanted to know if a real estate lawyer could be fired in your state, and NOT discuss your actual situation with anyone, wouldn't it have been easier for you to just Google it? You could have had your answer in a few minutes.
Of course I can and will do that.
I thought a chat room is to share experiences and see if others have had similar experiences with advice to share

Old 10-31-2016, 05:31 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I am the customer.
[ianal] i think you can change lawyers if you want but depending on the legal document you signed you mite have to pay a penalty to switch especially if the current lawyer did nothing wrong (as in violate any section of the contract).

if the lawyer wore a purple shirt on tuesday; unless its specifically stated in the contract, i doubt you can fire him without going into default clause of the contract simply because you hate purple and/or tuesdays.

if the lawyers actions or in-actions are causing you harm, he may need to compensate you to make you whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate