Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 AM

42 posts, read 265,894 times

Advertisements

I'm talking tasteful, under-stated decor. I'm looking at kitchens, living rooms, bedrooms, etc. I tried looking at just really expensive homes, but as I looked at their gaudy decor, I realized that they may be trying to sell their houses based on possessions instead of the house itself. I was told that my house was still too cluttered, but as I've removed things, now I wonder if I've gone too far. I don't think I want it completely bare, do I? Give me a few MLS #s to search and see for myself what things should look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
You can still take what you see in the expensive homes and use it in any pricepoint home. The key is use LARGER items instead of a lot of little bitty ones when it comes to decor. A large vase or urn, one big or a group of three LARGE candle pillars, picture frames that are wide. Get rid of all the teeny-tiny knick-knacks like the Precious Moments, votive candles, tealight candles, small figurens, small pictures, etc. You need LESS of the LARGER items to make an impact and the home won't feel cluttered. It is when there are TOO many little things that it looks cluttered or just one or two little things that it looks chintzy. If there are any new neighborhoods nearby w/ homes in the same ballpark price wise go visit their models that are furnished and get some ideas.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:49 AM

739 posts, read 2,949,512 times
good ideas from the real housewife of Dallas, above - sorry couldn't resist!

Also, I 'm getting ready to sell potentially and I was just on hgtv this morning and there are a couple of great staging articles w/ pics. I am ruthless about clutter and I took away some things... just do a search for "home staging" I think the article (and there are several) is called "13 tips... " something like that.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Watch Design to Sell or similar programs and you will get some great free examples and use what ever you think would work the best in your home.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Here are two bloggers that are stagers. The first one has several picture tours to give you ideas. The second one has some photos.

Real Estate Blog - Realtors.....Don't Delay....Stage Today!!!!

Real Estate Blog - Staging Curiosity, The Neighbors could not wait to see!

Many stagers have an hourly rate service where they will come in and consult with you, using your own things. This might be helpful to you.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:57 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,023,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Here are two bloggers that are stagers. The first one has several picture tours to give you ideas. The second one has some photos.

Real Estate Blog - Realtors.....Don't Delay....Stage Today!!!!

Real Estate Blog - Staging Curiosity, The Neighbors could not wait to see!

Many stagers have an hourly rate service where they will come in and consult with you, using your own things. This might be helpful to you.
I know someone who just used a stager for their house and while it turned out nice, the one thing the seller did not like is the stager charged the seller for hours spent shopping and not necessarily shopping for JUST my friend's house. The stager also picked up items for another property yet still charged my friend for the whole 2 hours of shopping time (and i'm sure the other client was charged 2 hours as well)

Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
I prefer a stager that gets rid of the clutter but doesn't add to much "designer" touches!

My sellers in Cary had a stager, MLS 981401.

I'd love to hear what others think.

Vicki

Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,345 times
Vicki-lovely home and staged nicely. I think the only thing I don't like is the tray on the bed...I hate it when people do that, lol! When I walk into a home and see that it almost tells me they had a stager and if they can afford a stager, they can afford to come down in price. (just my crazy thinking-others may love it) It is too over the top for me. I like how the rest of the home is just clean and everything put in it's place.
I actually am thinking of starting a staging business on this concept-just declutter and rearranging stuff and some minor details. I believe people have everything in their home already, just not placed right or it needs freshened up. I love this home-if I were moving there I would buy it in a heartbeat-beautiful!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Thanks for the positive comments. The stager didn't put the tray on the bed...my seller did and his wife laughed at him!!!

Some people have an eye for detail, twinmma, and thats really what a stager does. I'm very good at being honest with my clients and telling them what clutter needs to go away and what paint needs to be changed. The stager that I work with has an eye for furniture arrangement that I don't always have. She charged $250 for 2 hours of consultation and then she gave us a written report of what the sellers could do. After that, if she came back, it was $75 per hour, which I hear is pretty cheap, compared to other areas.

Good luck in your new career!!!

Vicki

Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,345 times
Vivki-that is so funny that the HUSBAND did it, lol! Sounds like mine...he would want to be part of it and be "helping" I think that is so cute!
Thanks for the well wishes. Still have some research before I start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate