Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,119 times

Advertisements

Has anyone bought a house/condo/townhome for a really good deal? What are some ways/tactics we can use to buy homes for cheap?

I've heard of a woman who won a bid to a highly desirable cottage in Maine because she wrote the owners a letter complimenting the home!

Another guy bought a $2million waterfront property in Florida for $1million!

Please share your stories with me!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,436 times
Keep your eyes open and your ear to the ground. Look past the bells and whistles or more importantly the lack of these to find good deals. Sometimes the best places are poorly advertised, unclean, or need minor repairs that many buyers overestimate the cost of. Things like dingy carpet, poor paint schemes, and poorly furnished places can be a real turnoff, but the costs to fix are pretty low.

I bought my current place for well under market appraisal because the previous owner didn't want to bother with any cleaning or repairs and had to move quickly. It's just a matter of being patient, trying to look through everything for sale carefully, and most importantly both financially and mentally being able to make a move when an opportunity arises.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:15 PM

50 posts, read 336,210 times
If I was buying a house/condo, I would wait until July/August--after the best-priced houses are sold--and find a home that been on the market at least 90 days, and has reduced their price at least once and hopefully twice (showing some flexibility). Check to see when s/he bought the place (Zillow, and the County assessment website will have this), to know what they paid for the place and how much room s/he has to maneuver. Then bid at least 20%-30% below his/her asking price, expecting to meet halfway (say 10-15% below last asking price). Be willing to negotiate on details, especially timing (an earlier or later closing date). If the place is already vacant, meaning the owners have already moved, that can mean added leverage to you. You are not going to steal a place, but the time has never been better to get a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate