Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,455 times

Advertisements

I always look in the attic too. I'm surprised some of you don't. An attic can tell a lot of tales...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
If they looked in the attic too...sounds like they are interested-or engineers! We had engineers once put an offer in on our home and they needed to know EVERYTHING like how far the trees were in distance to the poles out back and if we had Tyvec on the house and what kind of piping was through the house. Sad for them b/c we ended up sellingt o someone else b/c they asked too many darned questions, lol!
I was hoping they were interested but we've heard nothing so i'm guessing they're either not interested or sitting on the sidelines. The first couple that looked in the attic didn't shock me so much as the second couple that did because it was during an open house. We replaced our roof 3 years ago.

how far the trees were, that's a bit much. I'd tell them they're more than happy to measure but that i have no idea.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srib View Post
I always look in the attic too. I'm surprised some of you don't. An attic can tell a lot of tales...
At a scheduled showing I can understand but during an open house, i thought that was a bit odd.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
The attic is where a lot of heat can dissipate thus insulation levels there are crucial in a place where there is snow. My DH's rule of thumb, if house on the roof melts faster than other homes on the same street, the house with less snow on the roof has less insulation compared to the rest. Heat from inside the house rises, so the less insulation there is, the quicker the snow would melt. Of course, compare the same house only to houses on the same side of the street as the direction of the sun compounds or minimizes snow melt. The above was a tip by the roofer that redid our roof.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:59 AM

376 posts, read 1,506,052 times
Attics scare me, I just showed a house yesterday and it had a side attic, and I was like, I aint going in there

Yes, Buyers are being very choosy these days!

Hang in there!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I've looked in the attic on a first showing as does my dad when they were looking. There are MANY reasons why: proper insulation, signs of a leak, where is the a/c or water heater located (some around here have them IN the attic), how are the trusses and beams. One house they were very interested in my dad went in the attic on the first visit and came back and said NO WAY!! The joists were NOT adequate for the house at all. He was shocked the house did not show signs of stress unless it was covered up. They passed.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:48 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
I would be happy for them to look anywhere in my house, as long as they were looking. The more they look, the more serious they probably are.

I was always taught that there are no dumb questions. When one sees water on a floor they may be thinking of water getting under the garage floor which can cause serious concrete damage.

Be glad they asked, instead of assumed.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Anyone can look in my attic anytime...just wish more were looking, period.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Feedback is baloney. My house has been for sale for 4 months and we've heard, "Can they be out in 30 days?" "This is a great commute to my office." and "Will they be leaving the pool table?"

Old 02-29-2008, 05:38 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,998,091 times
That's exactly what they're looking for. Water and mold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate