Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 06:15 AM

126 posts, read 110,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Oh ok.

Why don't you put the house back on for showings and let their offer sit there? I forget if you already said why. It's a shame you could be missing weeks of the market and possibly lose another buyer waiting. Maybe once they go under contract on their house, then if you want to entertain a contingency of some sort.
If their house goes under contract then the ball starts rolling on their purchase of ours...actually we have already filled out a decent amount of paperwork already just in case they do sell.

We have had one showing while we are "contingent", however I don't know how many people will want to look at a contingent home as a few of the websites show "going going..." or "contingent" on their site.

It's a BIG role of the dice...I don't smoke but I might start with all this stress!! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg1724 View Post
If their house goes under contract then the ball starts rolling on their purchase of ours...actually we have already filled out a decent amount of paperwork already just in case they do sell.

We have had one showing while we are "contingent", however I don't know how many people will want to look at a contingent home as a few of the websites show "going going..." or "contingent" on their site.

It's a BIG role of the dice...I don't smoke but I might start with all this stress!! Lol
Oh ok. I just remembered with our contingency that I mentioned somewhere on here...the lady was already under contract for the sale of her property. We just took the risk with the contingency that her sale would go through. It was still a risk no doubt, but I'm not sure I would have taken ours off the market without at least that.

I think a lot of people would want to look at a "contingent" home. People always want what other people want lol! I would keep showings going at least. Although not having more showings is probably appealing right now

Old 03-08-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Oh ok. I just remembered with our contingency that I mentioned somewhere on here...the lady was already under contract for the sale of her property. We just took the risk with the contingency that her sale would go through. It was still a risk no doubt, but I'm not sure I would have taken ours off the market without at least that.

I think a lot of people would want to look at a "contingent" home. People always want what other people want lol! I would keep showings going at least. Although not having more showings is probably appealing right now
Lol yes. We'd be willing to show anyone throughout this I'd have to think...it's a chance to take itoff the market for these 21 days...and could have a huge ripple effect on our move down the road so it's definitely mixed feelings

Old 03-08-2017, 07:26 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:
Lol yes. We'd be willing to show anyone throughout this I'd have to think...it's a chance to take itoff the market for these 21 days...and could have a huge ripple effect on our move down the road so it's definitely mixed feelings
I would keep showing it. Not sure where you live, but the spring market is starting up fast now around here. You're losing good days. If it was the middle of an awful winter, eh.

Let people come through, you might get a better offer. Also, people often swing back once they've looked at everything. You never know who could be your backup buyer should these people fall through. Also, it will encourage your current buyers to get real with their price, should they need to do that.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2017, 07:43 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
If your buyers don't get a contract by Tuesday I would have your realtor change the listing to show active and not contingent. Not sure if that's possible in your state or not, but I would ask and do it if you can. You will still have the contract with your buyer, but that way more people will still view your home and possibly make a non-contingent offer that will bump the one you have. This is just covering your butt!

In my experience, most people will not look at a home that's contingent as they don't want to waste their time.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I would keep showing it. Not sure where you live, but the spring market is starting up fast now around here. You're losing good days. If it was the middle of an awful winter, eh.

Let people come through, you might get a better offer. Also, people often swing back once they've looked at everything. You never know who could be your backup buyer should these people fall through. Also, it will encourage your current buyers to get real with their price, should they need to do that.

Good luck!
Agreed on talking to the current buyers. I believe with the earnest money and the chance to lose that they would be motivated. But I know we will continue to keep our eye out.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
If your buyers don't get a contract by Tuesday I would have your realtor change the listing to show active and not contingent. Not sure if that's possible in your state or not, but I would ask and do it if you can. You will still have the contract with your buyer, but that way more people will still view your home and possibly make a non-contingent offer that will bump the one you have. This is just covering your butt!

In my experience, most people will not look at a home that's contingent as they don't want to waste their time.
Agree that people would not want to waste their time with a contingent house. As I more than likely would not as well. I know we are losing some valuable time here but at least it will be mid March if we need to get it back on the market.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:52 AM

Heard from our realtor that they have people interested but they need to sell their houses first. Our realtor told them it was time for a price reduction, even though he can't really tell them what to do. They have already scheduled an open house for this weekend and agreed to a price drop...now the million dollar question is to what amount.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:01 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Agree that people would not want to waste their time with a contingent house. As I more than likely would not as well. I know we are losing some valuable time here but at least it will be mid March if we need to get it back on the market.
Depends on the contingency, I've put in offers on houses with contingencies that involved the buyer selling their home because lots of those fall apart.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 03-08-2017 at 09:16 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 12:58 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
You don't seem to understand how the contingency is supposed to work. I can't tell you how it is in your state/locale, or how the local MLS reflects/treats a "must sell first" contingency, but ...

the Contingent Sale Addendum you signed with these people should indeed have some type of kickout clause for your current Buyer. Your MLS should distinguish (at least for agents) between "contingent must sell", "Contingent must close", and maybe even "under contract with no Buyers' home contingencies".

Maybe your market has become like ours in NC, where the standard Contingent Addendum does not allow the Buyer to be kicked out for that 21 day period you've agreed to. But they would at least be paying you a fairly pretty penny for the privilege, and your risk doesn't end if they get a sale within the 21 days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate