Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:12 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

I grew up on a lake. We had lots of ponds around. We caught tadpoles and frogs and newts. Learning to swim was part of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:11 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
If the pond has an aerator, mosquitos shouldn't be a problem. Many of the man made (retention) ponds in neighborhoods in our area have aerators.

Snakes would be my biggest CON. I am terrified of snakes and you are going to see more of them living near a pond. No thanks!

Another con to some is people coming onto your property to access the pond. We have a pond in our neighborhood and the homeowners are complaining all the time because the neighborhood kids like to go and fish/play around it and often cut across their property to get to it.
Snakes not as big of a deal in VA. There are some, but nothing like deep south.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:17 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Good point about mosquitoes. I wonder if they would be just as bad if you bought a house a few homes lots away or if the bugs mostly stay near the homes right along the pond.
In our neighborhood, the people who don't own property adjoining the ponds don't get access to the ponds, they are privately owned.

We are across the street from the pond owners, we don't have a problem with the bugs or geese like they do.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
Williamsburg has a lot of man-made lakes and ponds. Some a pretty big, others are just 1-2 acres at most. The developers dig them out as part of a water management program. Some are quite pretty and nicely landscaped, others are just round holes filled with water. But even the plain ones give you a interesting view, and at least you know nothing will ever be built there.

So those are some pros of living next to a man-made lake. Wondering what some cons might be? The prices of the homes seem to be about the same whether you're next to a pond or a few blocks away, which makes me think there must be pros AND cons.
Bought a condo that faced the aerated retention pond. Nice view from the 3rd floor "deck", and only woods behind the pond.

The geese were absolutely annoying. Every morning around dawn they'd fly in, honking away. Wouldn't settle down for what seemed like 10 minutes. Seemed even louder when they'd "take off".

Of course, despite the signs all over that said: "DO NOT FEED THE GEESE"? People would feed the geese. And not the people who lived in the buildings surrounding the pond. We knew better.

Goose poop all over the sidewalks and lawns - it was just nasty.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:28 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Williamsburg has a lot of man-made lakes and ponds. Some a pretty big, others are just 1-2 acres at most. The developers dig them out as part of a water management program. Some are quite pretty and nicely landscaped, others are just round holes filled with water. But even the plain ones give you a interesting view, and at least you know nothing will ever be built there.

So those are some pros of living next to a man-made lake. Wondering what some cons might be? The prices of the homes seem to be about the same whether you're next to a pond or a few blocks away, which makes me think there must be pros AND cons.
What will one use those ponds for? Just for looks, to contain water, for recreation, for heat control, a landing field for their sea plane, or for what?

WELL, FIRST OF ALL, let us remember the philosophy of this man:

http://i.imgur.com/dYMIdDt.jpg

Secondly, are there rules for what one can do with the pond? One of the plans, granted still in the dream state, for the ranch is to put in a catfish-crawfish pond for food production. It is my ranch and I don't think I will have too many problems (but I should remember the lessons of the catfish farmer and the Edwards Aquifer) but would that story be the same of anyone with a lake on their land?

Third, how much of a requirement does one have to safe guard the pond on their land, such as against a child falling in and drowning?

Fourth, what are the water laws for the area one is talking about? The primary reason I insisted on buying at least 5 acres was to get the restrictionless (so to speak) pumping that is one factor about Texas water law. Just how much does one own the access and the use of the pond and how much does one doesn't?

Fifth, what was the land under the pond used for before it became pond? One of the cautions in southern land buying is to beware of that land which was used for cotton production. Old cotton growing means the use of arsenic and arsenic means a poison that may be found in the soil, be it air or water above it, for a very long time.

Sixth, what is one's responsibility if the pond stagnates and even if there is no responsibility, how much is one willing to put up with it?

Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-03-2017 at 01:39 AM..

Old 03-03-2017, 07:28 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,616,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What will one use those ponds for? Just for looks, to contain water, for recreation, for heat control, a landing field for their sea plane, or for what?

WELL, FIRST OF ALL, let us remember the philosophy of this man:

http://i.imgur.com/dYMIdDt.jpg

Secondly, are there rules for what one can do with the pond? One of the plans, granted still in the dream state, for the ranch is to put in a catfish-crawfish pond for food production. It is my ranch and I don't think I will have too many problems (but I should remember the lessons of the catfish farmer and the Edwards Aquifer) but would that story be the same of anyone with a lake on their land?

Third, how much of a requirement does one have to safe guard the pond on their land, such as against a child falling in and drowning?

Fourth, what are the water laws for the area one is talking about? The primary reason I insisted on buying at least 5 acres was to get the restrictionless (so to speak) pumping that is one factor about Texas water law. Just how much does one own the access and the use of the pond and how much does one doesn't?

Fifth, what was the land under the pond used for before it became pond? One of the cautions in southern land buying is to beware of that land which was used for cotton production. Old cotton growing means the use of arsenic and arsenic means a poison that may be found in the soil, be it air or water above it, for a very long time.

Sixth, what is one's responsibility if the pond stagnates and even if there is no responsibility, how much is one willing to put up with it?

Etc, etc, etc.
Very interesting about the old cotton fields.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:30 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,616,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Bought a condo that faced the aerated retention pond. Nice view from the 3rd floor "deck", and only woods behind the pond.

The geese were absolutely annoying. Every morning around dawn they'd fly in, honking away. Wouldn't settle down for what seemed like 10 minutes. Seemed even louder when they'd "take off".

Of course, despite the signs all over that said: "DO NOT FEED THE GEESE"? People would feed the geese. And not the people who lived in the buildings surrounding the pond. We knew better.

Goose poop all over the sidewalks and lawns - it was just nasty.
There are groups and sites that help with geese deterrents.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:36 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I grew up on a lake. We had lots of ponds around. We caught tadpoles and frogs and newts. Learning to swim was part of life.
Us too. We had a pond down the street, and I don't recall anyone drowning in it. They don't have undertows and they have shallow areas, so even if yuo fall in one all that will happen is you get wet. It's not like falling into a pool.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:43 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,790 times
Wild animals are ok with us. Actually, we find them fun (Which is a good thing, because in Virginia you're going to have critters no matter where you live). Right now I live next to a very busy 4 lane boulevard, and deer cross it all the time to come over to my yard. I usually find 3-4 in my yard every morning. And we're along the Potomac, so geese are common in the fall and spring. Poop happens, you learn to live with it.

The point about kids running through our yard struck home, though. I really wouldn't want that, especially teenagers looking for an amusement in the middle of the night or a place to meet their friends to hang out. We want our backyard to be our private oasis.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:58 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
I personally don't like properties with ponds, but I also have small kids. Pros and cons in my opinion........

Pros:

Premium lot, usually re-sells for more
Nice view
No neighbors behind you
Fishing?

Cons:

Could be paying more for the home because of the pond view
Safety concern with kids (if you have them)
Mosquitoes
Could smell in the warm weather months
Snakes

Could flood your home if too close to your property. Regular homeowners insurance DOES NOT cover this type of damage. You would need flood insurance which is WAY expensive and would be a separate policy!

Last edited by CGab; 03-03-2017 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate