Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:14 AM

620 posts, read 1,950,808 times

Advertisements

We are buying in a new neighborhood and deciding on which house to purchase. One of the homes has a retention pond in the back of it. What are the pros/cons of this? I am just undecided about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,603,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
We are buying in a new neighborhood and deciding on which house to purchase. One of the homes has a retention pond in the back of it. What are the pros/cons of this? I am just undecided about that.
Is it always full or is it seasonal? Downside is "mosquitos". I have a seasonal pond in the front yard... fills in around march but goes away before June. The county comes once a week and checks it for mosquitos and if it seems bad, they spray. I've often thought about making it a permanent pond..lining it and throwing in a nice fountain. Maybe you could do the same?? Make it a decorative pond instead?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:27 AM

I like the idea of the "decorative" pond, however... We wouldn't "own" it .LOL. It is part of the community and the HOA, wouldn't probably go for us just coming in and taking over. If we get that house, there are two other built homes that back up to it. Eventually, there will be more homes built(once the lots sell) that would surround the pond. I am not sure if it is seasonal or not-something to find out. Thank you!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:35 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Is it always full or is it seasonal? Downside is "mosquitos". I have a seasonal pond in the front yard... fills in around march but goes away before June. The county comes once a week and checks it for mosquitos and if it seems bad, they spray. I've often thought about making it a permanent pond..lining it and throwing in a nice fountain. Maybe you could do the same?? Make it a decorative pond instead?
Wiley, you may have what is called a Vernal Pool. Apparently it's an important part of the ecosystem. You can find out more about it here at the NJDEP Fish & Wildlife Division

Old 09-26-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Wiley, you may have what is called a Vernal Pool. Apparently it's an important part of the ecosystem. You can find out more about it here at the NJDEP Fish & Wildlife Division
I do actually... tons of wee frogs : ) I inquired about filling it in and was told I have to pay $2500 for the NJDEP to come out and inspect it and if they see frogs and no fish..it's vernal! In the summer it just looks like front lawn but in the spring... I have a lakefront home . It would actually be very pretty if I made it a permanent pond.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I just looked at the list of little critters..and I have most of them living in my pond in the spring

Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I like the idea of the "decorative" pond, however... We wouldn't "own" it .LOL. It is part of the community and the HOA, wouldn't probably go for us just coming in and taking over. If we get that house, there are two other built homes that back up to it. Eventually, there will be more homes built(once the lots sell) that would surround the pond. I am not sure if it is seasonal or not-something to find out. Thank you!
Hummm..be careful! You may have to take responsiblity for the maintenance of that pond! Check the deed for that lot!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 AM

Thank you for your insight wiley! Looking into that is very important! I appreciate your advice.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your insight wiley! Looking into that is very important! I appreciate your advice.
no problem... I use to work for a civil engineering firm and I remember that being the deal for the person buying the detention/retention pond lot! Plus... if you end up being the only person living in that development - which may be possible with the way things look at the moment with our economy... and the builder skips town - now all of the responsibilty becomes yours!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times
It sounds to me like this is a stormwater detention pond and most likely situated on it's own separate lot and even more possible deeded to the local government just as the streets are. That's the way it would be in CA, obviously local law/custom may be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate