Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,482,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You have a very experienced real estate broker. He would have developed people to do the work and he will know how to get the jobs done right, and done at a real good price. When I was in the business from 1972 till I retired, I know I had the people I worked with on a regular basis.

I had a top handyman who had been employed as a maintenance man for big apartment house projects for 20 years. I got to know him as he was retiring, and he worked only for me as needed.

In addition I had people to paint, etc., that he wold supervise for me. The price was a lot lower than if I had to hire contractors like the OP would if he hired people to get the jobs done, and the jobs would be done to the specifications every time.

If I needed something done where I needed a general contractor, I had the ideal man to call in. He was the former city building inspector, who wanted to make more money, and went into business as a general contractor. He was the son of another Realtor/developer that I often partnered with in putting together properties in our own accounts. Any long time Realtor knows people that will get such jobs as the OP is describing, and will do them to top requirements at a real good price.

If he is fronting the money himself to be paid at closing, he is not going to do this, unless he knows people that will do the job the way he wants it done, and for a price the OP is not going to get it done anywhere else. This is just one of the reasons he will sell the 3 to 4 homes he supposedly sells per week.

What you are talking about, is a long term realtor that moves a lot of property. New agents, have no idea of how to do something like this, who to use to get the job done, and have not built the bank account that lets them offer this type of service to their clients. Remember only 10% to 15% of people that enter the real estate business are successful and stay in the business. They sell from 85% to 90% of all homes sold in the area each year. What the agent is proposing, is extra services he/she provides to their clients, and the reason he/she is so successful.
Interesting post. If you are going to hire an agent, It makes sense to go with a more experienced agent that has more to offer if you are going to be paying the same price in commission.
It's a big decision of course so although I'm leaning towards this broker I likely might speak to some other Realtors as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 01:26 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,528,194 times
I've done it. Hac ac units repaired, yard cleanup and maint done, replaced door hinges, replaced gfci's, done tree pest control...all things to help sell a house. In most cases, I don't even bill sellers at closing. I consider it marketing. I think the only time I would bill is if for some reason they switched agents/terminated me, but I've never had that happen.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,482,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I've done it. Hac ac units repaired, yard cleanup and maint done, replaced door hinges, replaced gfci's, done tree pest control...all things to help sell a house. In most cases, I don't even bill sellers at closing. I consider it marketing. I think the only time I would bill is if for some reason they switched agents/terminated me, but I've never had that happen.
I'm guessing you have your own vendors you work with and arrange all the scheduling? How much involvement is there from the seller?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:37 PM

10,969 posts, read 22,002,497 times
I've done it on property management but never on sales. Interesting concept I guess but I personally would be hesitant to put my money down on a sale. I've seen too many things happen.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:45 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,528,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'm guessing you have your own vendors you work with and arrange all the scheduling? How much involvement is there from the seller?
Yes, I have licensed plumbers, electricians and hvac people I've used for the last 15 yrs. Not much involvement from seller. They are usually grateful to get it done to help sell home. The things I take care of ard things that either need to be done to avoid ptoperty damage (leaks or tree destroying pests), and things that need to be done to pass inspection/sell property. Not just cosmetic updating. If it needs cosmetic updates, I expect seller to either do it or price it accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate