Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:49 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times

Advertisements

I have never bought a house that I visited during an open house and none of the homes I've sold ever had an open house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 02:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
If you have personal misgivings about an Open House, and it's going to cause you the stated level of discomfort, then simply tell your agent, "Thanks, but I'm willing to just let the normal course of Realtor-led individual showings be the method we use." An Open House could be worthless to your bottom line, or it could be helpful, but you're happy to take your chances.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:35 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
One positive of an open house is that your agent is there, getting to hear what people are saying. That's the most direct feedback you are likely to get. In a hot market, it might not matter, but if you don't get a quick offer, it could be helpful to hear things that might explain why.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:48 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Open houses are great. They get a lot of eyeballs on your property. Nosy neighbors are welcome, too -- they may know somebody who will fall in love with you house. Same with realtors who want to scope out the property.

I've sold two houses this year with open houses. No doubt there were other factors involved but it seems to me that when a potential buyer sees other folks looking around at the same time it can motivate them to take action.

Last edited by arjay57; 07-17-2017 at 08:29 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Well... not in my market.

However, my friends in Southern Cali home hit MLS on July 6th. Open house was July 8th. Over 100 people came through. Small house.. listed at $599,000

12 offers by 6/10... 4 solid. $645K, $640K, $635K, $620K

Accepted $640K offer with $400K cash and $240k mortgage.

Now to wait out the appraisal.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:09 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
My decision was to trust her as she asked me to, and let her schedule a 2 hour open house. I'll take a bit of extra time to hide my equipment or remove things from the premises.

Most of the people who go to these things are nosy neighbors having a peek. I would know, because I was one of them.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:30 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
My decision was to trust her as she asked me to, and let her schedule a 2 hour open house. I'll take a bit of extra time to hide my equipment or remove things from the premises.

Most of the people who go to these things are nosy neighbors having a peek. I would know, because I was one of them.
but at least you are honest about it .

Old 07-18-2017, 01:39 PM

888 posts, read 890,283 times
Open houses benefit the listing agent or agent showing the home by giving them potential clients. This I've been told by agents.

I sold my home FSBO with no open house or lockbox for realtor access. I didn't want the paw prints on my hardwood floors of people stopping by for kicks because they didn't have anything else better to do.

Got the home sold without those gimmicks. Didn't stage it either.

In a hot market, like now, creating a privileged access to viewing can create an illusion of value, assuming you don't have a dump you're trying to sell or getting piggish in your pricing.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:20 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
I know some realtors who are very successful in selling a home at an open house. That would mean the looker comes without an agent so the listing agent might work both sides. I know a couple of people who still do work both sides when approached. But even with a disclaimer, there are more and more who just don 't feel comfortable working both sides. But, yes, some realtors I know do sell their listings from open houses.

My business partners and I seldom do.

I know one woman realtor who always gets a few good clients from every open house.....whether they buy another house or decide it's time to sell theirs.

I also know, as a side short story, a guy who, when he lists his houses, he goes from area open house to open house talking to the people touring and telling them they have to go over to see his great house and it's so much better than the one they are in.

He doesn't lie and say "hey I just saw a great house, you should see it". He tells the truth that it's his and soooo much better than what they are looking at. He's not a realtor, not officially unethical. He's a pain in the neck is what he is because he has listed a few properties with a business partner. We get calls from other irate realtors to keep him away from their open houses.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:11 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I know some realtors who are very successful in selling a home at an open house. That would mean the looker comes without an agent so the listing agent might work both sides. I know a couple of people who still do work both sides when approached. But even with a disclaimer, there are more and more who just don 't feel comfortable working both sides. But, yes, some realtors I know do sell their listings from open houses.

My business partners and I seldom do.

I know one woman realtor who always gets a few good clients from every open house.....whether they buy another house or decide it's time to sell theirs.

I also know, as a side short story, a guy who, when he lists his houses, he goes from area open house to open house talking to the people touring and telling them they have to go over to see his great house and it's so much better than the one they are in.

He doesn't lie and say "hey I just saw a great house, you should see it". He tells the truth that it's his and soooo much better than what they are looking at. He's not a realtor, not officially unethical. He's a pain in the neck is what he is because he has listed a few properties with a business partner. We get calls from other irate realtors to keep him away from their open houses.

(last paragraph)...........of course he is unethical

Ethics are opinions and surprised you see it as unethical.

Actually, your 2nd paragraph leads me to believe the person in the last paragraph is you.

Both paragraphs use the term .........business partner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate