Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:01 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,239,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
PER CAPITA is $38,500 (means per person) and that's 2015 (2 years ago). MEDIAN household income was $96,600. I'm sure the stats for 2016-17 will be much higher as most new construction here after all the upgrades are going well over $300k. HOWEVER, that is in NW Indiana which is still considered part of the Chicagoland area. COL is MUCH lower in the rest of the state!

I also stated that affluent homes in NW Indiana would be about $400K. Again, much lower in the rest of Indiana! Illinois $750K (Homes, not salary).

AND your point has what to do with the post???? MY point to the OP is that you don't need to make an affluent income to purchase a new construction home.
OP state's median household income in his area is $30-40k. With those stats you would have to be pretty affluent(relative to area) to buy new.

Presume Chicago sprawl is effectively gentrifying your area but much more than that median income would likely be considered affluent by locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 06:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Builders use one guideline as to what range of homes to build. That is what the typical buyer wants in size and quality. When this is determined, they build for those buyers. Houses costing too much, or not as nice as they want to buy can stay on the market for a year or two. They can't afford that to happen if they are building on spec (not sold before starting building). They build at a price, and quality that will be sold before the home is finished.

Most people do not have any idea of what is needed to build. Starting with a lot, and availability of street and utilities, and cost to bring in or hook up to. Building permits and inspection fees. Cost of materials and labor, are more than most people realize. If the market is as slow as the OP says in the area, they are going to be building as cheap as possible to keep the cost down. Those will not be anything upscale at those prices. If they are building on spec. (started building without a buyer), they are only going to build what will sell before final inspection. They are not building overpriced homes.

And for the older homes he has been looking at, they are all going to need some work, some more than others. They cost time and money to maintain as his parents have found out. From what I have read that he wrote, he should not buy one of them, as he is not a DIY in any way.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
The dollar amounts here are so funny.
https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/392...home/113607805
$240K for the lot--1/13 of an acre.
We need comments from Toronto and Sydney.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 PM

993 posts, read 766,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I bet this is true, but we also probably have some of the lowest amounts of regulation and overhead aside from the most rural of areas. It's probably not as bad here as other places.

In general, no, but I am not following them that closely. Many are sitting on the market for months. Below is a common house in the area, and was a childhood friend's home. This is in my grandmother's neighborhood - probably a third to half of the street are original owners, all 80+. There's some nervousness in the county as all of the county high schools are consolidating over the next few years in a yet-to-be-built school near the central part of the county close to the airport.

https://www.trulia.com/property/3246...sport-TN-37664

If something is pretty well updated and under $150,000 - SFH or condo/townhome - they seem to move in a month or so. The college town half an hour away is doing much better, with a better housing stock, but new construction is even more expensive.
Wait a minute. If the Kilkenny house is well built...what in the world is wrong with it? Except it needs updating. You could learn to do some of that. Get pros in for the kitchen and baths and invest in a few hours with a good interior designer before you do anything.

Are you sure a new home is better built and a better investment than an older well built home? I don't know the answer to that....I'm asking.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Wait a minute. If the Kilkenny house is well built...what in the world is wrong with it? Except it needs updating. You could learn to do some of that. Get pros in for the kitchen and baths and invest in a few hours with a good interior designer before you do anything.

Are you sure a new home is better built and a better investment than an older well built home? I don't know the answer to that....I'm asking.
There are actually two answers to that question: 1) Yes. 2) No.

There has never in history been a time when all houses were built to the same standards. The bad houses built 100 years ago are gone; the good ones may be here for another 100 years or more. The same with those built fifty years ago and five.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:54 PM

209 posts, read 168,933 times
It could be worse. Try finding anything within 35 miles in any direction of Boston for 300k.
Single family homes. Overpriced apartments don't count

Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,651 times
OP, how long do you plan on living in this house?

A couple of things to consider:

1. All homes require maintenance, repairs and upkeep. You will eventually want to update a new construction home as well (sounds like you'd want to do that rather soon, too.)

2. If you decide you want to sell in near(ish) future, why would someone want to buy your "used" house, when they could buy new for the same price?

3. Why should a new construction home be priced as a "starter home" if the local market can bear higher prices? If the demand is for "new construction" then those houses are going to cost more.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:06 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,538,348 times
As was suggested a few pages back, check with builders in the area and tell them what you're looking for. Just because they're all building $500,000 McMansions on spec doesn't mean they would refuse to build something much smaller for you. I'd look for infill lots in town and/or in subdivisions with homes similar in size.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 PM

491 posts, read 473,519 times
About $200,000 is the cost of building a house new, with the costs of materials and everything. That's the smallest.

That being said, you should be able to buy houses that are already built and they tend to appreciate or depreciate depending on the market. Meaning there should be houses that are $150,000 or $100,000 or even less. Also, it doesn't cost that much to furnish a home to look nice and modern. With $10,000 you should be able to accomplish a lot. That's if you want a modern look. You don't need that.

Just get an older home or a home that's not too old. All new homes are usually more expensive than homes that are already built, but it really depends on the location. So, maybe try searching for homes further away from the city.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:58 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
buyers set the market...not sellers..

if no one purchased nothing would be sold.....

if anything is wayyyy overpriced,,,then it shouldn't sell..

I would like to see a builder build a one bedroom home with minimal essentials...but with focus on common areas....such as a fitness center gym/community center.

they can be called condos... but affordable.

here's the dirty little secret of real estate "communities" that many would tell me when I was young

look at where the lowest rental rates are....do you get the poorer folks trying to work there way out of poverty...yes.....but you also get the low-lifes of societies and my favorites,,,ones that want a few chickens....for fresh eggs...

so, for all you may want to deamonize the snobs or rich folks in the gated communities..... usually they don't have to worry if their teenage daughters are outside.

I was a broker on a quality condo project,(in the 250k range),and most of the condo's were bought by live alones,,,a widow or widower,,,and safety, security,,was the number one concern

if the grandkids came over they could play on the community playground without worry ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate