Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:09 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No. Without proof, the neighbor has nothing to stand on.
Neither one has proof so it's a mute point until another survey is done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 04:25 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
You only need to survey the property line between you. You do not need a full survey unless you want the buildings recorded.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:30 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
THANK YOU OP for injecting the bit about lending the complaining neighbor a gun WHICH HE WON"T RETURN. Just ups the drama and (because I have no dog in this fight) brought laughter and tears to eyes.

I currently have a neighbor on one side who keeps crossing the line with our fence (attaching heavy boards causing damage), fence is surveyed and marked in last 6 months. No no no the county GIS is not accurate but some people have no common
sense.

Does my neighbor have gun? Husband does probably. I communicate with spouse who is doing the actual damage to fence. Apparently she did this to last owner before us too. Problem is fence wanders from their property to our property over course of 100 feet and I've advised her where "their" fence starts.

Makes me think Wyoming must be nice where neighbors are miles away. But then I think about how many guns there are in Wyoming and how cattle vs. sheep (fences involved) and water rights fights have been so vicious. Oh the humanity.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:00 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
The fence, trees and building were all in place many years before current neighbor bought his house.
The neighbor, I'll call him Richard, had issues with his other neighbor and actually feared for his safety. Richard and i had become friends and he asked if i had a gun he could borrow. I lent him one (i don't need you to tell me how stupid that was - i had genuine concern for his safety). Anyway, after almost 2 years, i asked for the gun back and he EXPLODED. Seriously, he went nuts, yelling and threatening, it was crazy. The only thing i can figure is there had been a period of about a month that we didn't talk.... nothing wrong, just neither of us had anything to say, i guess. Anyway, i guess he got his feelings hurt. That's all i can come up with
A gun? Whoa. What could possibly go wrong?

As far a you not having a copy of a survey, if it was a legal survey by licensed surveyor then the survey would have been filed at your local court house---after you paid your surveyor's bill. If it was just a fence location staking then there likely was no survey.
Is this property within an incorporated town?

Old 04-17-2017, 05:02 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
The fence, trees and building were all in place many years before current neighbor bought his house.
The neighbor, I'll call him Richard, had issues with his other neighbor and actually feared for his safety. Richard and i had become friends and he asked if i had a gun he could borrow. I lent him one (i don't need you to tell me how stupid that was - i had genuine concern for his safety). Anyway, after almost 2 years, i asked for the gun back and he EXPLODED. Seriously, he went nuts, yelling and threatening, it was crazy. The only thing i can figure is there had been a period of about a month that we didn't talk.... nothing wrong, just neither of us had anything to say, i guess. Anyway, i guess he got his feelings hurt. That's all i can come up with
A gun? Whoa. What could possibly go wrong?

As far a you not having a copy of a survey, if it was a legal survey by licensed surveyor then the survey would have been filed at your local court house---after you paid your surveyor's bill. If it was just a fence location staking then there likely was no survey.

Is this property within an incorporated town? If so, the city engineer will locate the property lunes.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:46 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And if the OP had ordered & retained a proper survey he could rest easy and call it a day.
But the OP didn't do that... did he?

What he has is a neighbor who could be proven to be right
and if so will be in a position to cost the OP a whole lot more than just the cost of the survey.
Which btw, he will also have to pay for then.

The $300 or so (maybe even $500) that it costs should have happened a decade ago.
He gets to spend that money now.
No "rational" person would start spending money, or spend more money, to defend an action that hasn't taken place that time will not affect. The burden of proof lies with the neighbor.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Did your title company or lender not require a survey when you purchased the property? If they did, then go to the title company where you closed (or whoever did the closing) and see if they have a copy. If it was long enough ago it might take them a while to dig it out of the archives, though.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:25 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
If the neighbor acts out, the OP can simply call the police.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:54 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
THANK YOU OP for injecting the bit about lending the complaining neighbor a gun WHICH HE WON"T RETURN. Just ups the drama and (because I have no dog in this fight) brought laughter and tears to eyes.

It could only get better if the neighbor accepted it with gloves on.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
This is a little funny. Many years ago, I had a neighbor I called Neighbor Dick. (Neither Dick nor Richard was his real name, but it fit him).

I once came home to find him drunk and screaming "Your garage is on MY land and you've got to tear it down!!!"

Seems the guy on the other side of him (also drunk) told him that he knew where there was a boundary marker and these two fine men proceeded to map out Neighbor Dick's yard - with a string. Because he had done civil engineering work in the past and knew what he was doing.

What he didn't know was that the properties were more of a parallelogram than a rectangle, so all of his screaming and measuring was for naught.

He ended up getting a survey done. The look on his face when it turned out the corner of his garage was on the edge of my property was priceless. Same with the end of his driveway actually being my property.

And yes, stakes weren't really removed, but they were sure pounded into the ground - and then paved over. I'm sure he thought I was too stupid to notice.

They moved south in 2004. Hmmmmm.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate