Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 05:31 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times

Advertisements

Thinking about selling my 4br 2.5 bath house that is paid off and moving into a $1,200 month apartment. I am widowed, live alone, and getting long of tooth and starting to dread the maintenance needed to keep the house in good shape.

Right now I pay $2,200.00 in RE tax and $500 home owners insurance. I will probably walk away with maybe $225,000 after closing. Maybe more, maybe less. Anyway does it make any sense to walk away from a rent free home and rent with these numbers. Of course a lot has to do with getting out from under responsibilities I no longer want but I don't want to make a totally stupid decision. Any thoughts

ps: I have a pretty good retirement income ....$4,500 if that makes a difference

Last edited by pitroad; 05-04-2017 at 05:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 06:22 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
I am widowed, live alone, and getting long of tooth
and starting to dread the maintenance needed to keep the house in good shape.
Thinking about selling my 4br 2.5 bath house that is paid off and moving into a ...
An entirely appropriate consideration.

Quote:
...does it make any sense to walk away from a rent free home...
Of course. The issue is what you do with the net proceeds from the sale.

If you invest it for income (a different discussion as to how)...
and add in what you pay for property tax and insurance and upkeep...
you could have a more than adequate rent budget.

Depending on WHERE you would live...
your accountant might advise you to buy a condo instead.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:30 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
Thinking about selling my 4br 2.5 bath house that is paid off and moving into a $1,200 month apartment. I am widowed, live alone, and getting long of tooth and starting to dread the maintenance needed to keep the house in good shape.

Right now I pay $2,200.00 in RE tax and $500 home owners insurance. I will probably walk away with maybe $225,000 after closing. Maybe more, maybe less. Anyway does it make any sense to walk away from a rent free home and rent with these numbers. Of course a lot has to do with getting out from under responsibilities I no longer want but I don't want to make a totally stupid decision. Any thoughts

ps: I have a pretty good retirement income ....$4,500 if that makes a difference

Renting never makes sense in my opinion unless you have no choice like myself. You may not like responsibilities of your home but the biggest positive is IT'S YOUR HOME you make the rules and call the shots and do as you please with it. Now you are at the mercy of a landlord and the rules etc and no freedom.

To me the american dream is to live free and your home is your castle.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:48 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
When the bubble burst an housing prices were down, renting made a great deal of sense. Now that the market is recovering and housing is again appreciating, renting makes less (financial) sense. Also, if you are single and getting older, renting may not offer you the privacy and security you are used to.

You might want to consider buying an upscale condo. This will free you from the ongoing maintenance and upkeep issues, while maintaining your privacy and security ... and often giving you amenities and location unavailable in SFH's or apartments. (We moved from a lifetime of SFH's to Condos in about 2002 - and have never regretted it, but would NOT be interested in a typical apartment).

Old 05-04-2017, 08:19 PM

661 posts, read 833,927 times
You have a paid off house, do not become a renter you have the perfect scenario right now. If anything sell that home and downsize, but do not rent and throw money away like that. Some areas allow you to take your tax base over too, check with you local realtor or tax professional.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:47 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
To me, it makes sense. I can understand wanting to get rid of the upkeep aspect of owning.

However, when you rent, you are stuck with neighbors. Often inconsiderate neighbors.

As others mentioned, a condo could be a good compromise. You'd get rid of all the exterior maintenance. I know when I lived in NC, there were a lot of townhouse style condos popping up everywhere. Less attached neighbors than an apartment. Plus, owners tend to be more considerate of neighbors. Around here, there are a bunch of condo developments with completely detached condos. I lived in the Lake Norman area, and I don't remember anything like that in NC, but that doesn't mean they don't exist in your area.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,662 times
rent goes up.
i paid $1050 here 7 years ago. now i pay $1550. of course i guess you can move every couple of years to get a cheaper place, but thats annoying.
neighbors always change too. my current neighbors are cool. my last neighbors were always yelling and playing loud music. then there was the neighbors with the loud dogs that would bark all the time...something to keep in mind when moving into an apartment if you are used to quiet.

might make sense to downsize to a smaller house, townhouse or condo?

Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
If I'm single when I'm older, I will definitely rent.

Rent may go up, but so does home ownership costs. My taxes and insurance have gone up every year. Maintenance gets more expensive, particularly when you physically can't do a lot of the work yourself.

As far as having terrible neighbors, try owning a house and having horrid neighbors.

I would suggest talking to an elder law attorney.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:14 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Do you have any one story condo communities in your area?

Old 05-04-2017, 10:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Renting never makes sense in my opinion unless you have no choice like myself. You may not like responsibilities of your home but the biggest positive is IT'S YOUR HOME you make the rules and call the shots and do as you please with it. Now you are at the mercy of a landlord and the rules etc and no freedom.

To me the american dream is to live free and your home is your castle.
THe American dream has nothing to do with dollars, it takes an immigrant to inform Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate