Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:40 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,495,909 times

Advertisements

I know I won't hear a response until Monday, but I am excited, and trying not to get excited so that I won't be let down.

My realtor took me out Friday to see 14 homes. We fell in love with one home. It has everything I wanted: a HUGE yard, tile, all appliances, CBS, an inground pool, on a nice block, good square footage, in my price range...too much to list.

I am in SWFL and there are tons on the market. This house is $189K. The seller only owes $100K so no short sales outlook on it!! It's been on the market since August. My realtor told me to put in an offer of $180 plus closing costs.

I don't know anything, but I am expecting a counter- not an outright "no". My realtor said it's not a "lowball" or "embarrassing" offer, especially for the market and how long its been on the market.

I really really want this house. Keep your fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:47 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,552,169 times
How long has it been on the market?

Old 03-22-2008, 08:17 PM

It's been on the market since last August.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
It's been on the market since last August.

So why are you offering only $9K under the asking price?

Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
If your goal is to get this house, no doubt, you will.

Has your agent shown you closed comps for recent sales, of comparable properties?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:44 PM

523 posts, read 1,418,548 times
You had better hope they decline your offer. FL is getting hammered right now. Looks like you're about to seriously overpay.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 PM

Really? And here I was thinking that they were going to decline or counter offer thinking it was too small! I mean, I am asking for closing costs which could be about 6-8K (I think the realtor put in 10K for closing to the seller), and 9 thousand off the price...so you figure in a way, it is really about 19K he's asking for, probably less, depending on closing.

I know the FL market is bad, but I could never have gotten a house like this 2 years ago, heck even 1 year ago. It comes with the lot the house is on, and then the attached lot...all tile, 1500+ square feet, allappliances, CBS, 2 car garage, inground caged pool- I thought it was a great deal. And, I am not a flipper, so I plan on staying in this house for many years.

You really think I should have offered less, AND the closing?

The seller's agent did say they are ready to move...

Old 03-22-2008, 09:53 PM

No, my agent hasn't shown me comparable...but we did visit other houses in the price range that weren't as nice as this....I guess I should have asked him...

Old 03-22-2008, 10:06 PM

You are in a declining market. That house is not going to be worth $180K a year from now, most likely.

It has been on the market for 8 months now. There is a reason for that.

Do yourself a favor and hire an appraiser to tell you what the current market is and what the outlook for the near future is. The couple of hundred dollars you spend on that could save you thousands.

If you'd like I can assist you with finding a reputable appraiser in your market. Let me know.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,903,624 times
If you will notice, the people who replied to you in the negative do not come from the state, much less your immediate area. They have no knowledge of the property, have no clue if it's priced properly. They have no idea why it's been on the market since August, if the price was higher and the seller recently changed the pricing to come into the proper price range. They also are not taking into consideration that you are buying something for long term, nor do they have a crystal ball as to what the value of your property will be when you do decide to sell. They don't know the value of what theirs will be either.
So. I'm here to just tell you congratulations! You've found a home that you absolutely love, have put in an offer that very likely will get accepted and that's WONDERFUL! If there is an appraisal issue, you're going to find out soon enough when one is ordered through the financing... and at that point, you can renegotiate if there is a need.
Don't let the naysayers rain on your parade. You've done good! YAY!
Oh. And as requested... GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Last edited by palmcoasting; 03-23-2008 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate