Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 01:12 PM

450 posts, read 550,449 times

Advertisements

Is there a catch with community #1?

builders are out to get every penny they can, so why are the homes there on larger lots, cheaper per sq. foot, and yet closer to downtown? Everything you've mentioned points to community #1 should be priced higher, yet it is lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:38 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Thank you again for all of the responses. I just wanted to update everyone.

Hubby and I went to have a look at the communities in real life over the weekend (rather than just read about them on the developers websites, look at plat maps and Google maps) and both are a no.

Our budget will be around $350k which for a new build or existing home in the area we are looking at is adequate. While both of these communities would have come in under budget, neither look to be worth it.

The problem with the community with the swimming pools and playground is mainly the first couple of phases (I think they're on about phase 3 or 4 right now). About 70% of the houses already built and occupied are tiny, single garage homes, very close together on very narrow streets. Because of the single garages, people had parked their additional cars either in the driveway (en masse) or in the street- making the narrow streets narrower. Sadly, to get to the new phases, you have to meander down these streets first.

In just a year or two, the existing houses are already looking unkempt in terms of their yard upkeep, etc, which makes me wonder about how well the HOA is enforcing things.

It reminded me of a community I used to rent in (which had a mixture of both large houses and villas) and that's not a compliment.

I'm thinking that the reason these new homes were a bargain were due to the mass of smaller homes already built drawing the price down? That's just my speculation.

Google Satellite and Street View for the area are a bit outdated so didn't adequately show the development.

Aaaaanyway... we are still leaning towards a new build. We are going to look at another couple of communities over the next couple of weeks. One has 4 car garage homesites so even though it's out in the boonies, my car crazy husband is excited to check that one out!

Old 06-07-2017, 11:03 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Of course #1.
#2 looks like a lower level neighborhood that might not be bad at this point but eventually will go downhill in a few years.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:10 AM

569 posts, read 440,438 times
I hate single car garage homes and also townhomes with a single garage and a single car parking pad.
These products only work in really urban areas where people have fewer cars and there is walk-ability. I regularly see them built in more suburban environments leading to parking issues (no visitor parking) and people who have multiple vehicles parking on the street which makes the neighborhood look bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Thank you again for all of the responses. I just wanted to update everyone.

Hubby and I went to have a look at the communities in real life over the weekend (rather than just read about them on the developers websites, look at plat maps and Google maps) and both are a no.

Our budget will be around $350k which for a new build or existing home in the area we are looking at is adequate. While both of these communities would have come in under budget, neither look to be worth it.

The problem with the community with the swimming pools and playground is mainly the first couple of phases (I think they're on about phase 3 or 4 right now). About 70% of the houses already built and occupied are tiny, single garage homes, very close together on very narrow streets. Because of the single garages, people had parked their additional cars either in the driveway (en masse) or in the street- making the narrow streets narrower. Sadly, to get to the new phases, you have to meander down these streets first.

In just a year or two, the existing houses are already looking unkempt in terms of their yard upkeep, etc, which makes me wonder about how well the HOA is enforcing things.

It reminded me of a community I used to rent in (which had a mixture of both large houses and villas) and that's not a compliment.

I'm thinking that the reason these new homes were a bargain were due to the mass of smaller homes already built drawing the price down? That's just my speculation.

Google Satellite and Street View for the area are a bit outdated so didn't adequately show the development.

Aaaaanyway... we are still leaning towards a new build. We are going to look at another couple of communities over the next couple of weeks. One has 4 car garage homesites so even though it's out in the boonies, my car crazy husband is excited to check that one out!

Old 06-08-2017, 07:43 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Being a handshake away from my neighbor would be a deal breaker for me. You never know what your neighbors are going to be like!

I moved from a community with lots of kids, playgrounds and the pool, to a house more in the country, older residents and no amenities. Our lives drastically improved without bratty neighbor kids destroying my stuff, kids fighting, drama, HOA complaints, loud neighbors fighting, nosy neighbors getting into my business...

I swear it was like living on Wisteria Lane. Never again. I will join a pool and drive the 6 miles. I now drive 10 miles to the grocery store. It is well worth it.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
I hate single car garage homes and also townhomes with a single garage and a single car parking pad.
These products only work in really urban areas where people have fewer cars and there is walk-ability. I regularly see them built in more suburban environments leading to parking issues (no visitor parking) and people who have multiple vehicles parking on the street which makes the neighborhood look bad.
I agree that they 'work' in more urban neighborhoods that are walkable, but don't make much sense out in the exurbs (where there's no public transport or shopping/jobs within walking distance). Obviously people bought them as they all seem to be occupied, so there is a market for them... but it really just looked like a mess, not to mention difficult to navigate with the number of cars on the narrow street. I wouldn't want to have to drive through it every day to get 'home'.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

I moved from a community with lots of kids, playgrounds and the pool, to a house more in the country, older residents and no amenities. Our lives drastically improved without bratty neighbor kids destroying my stuff, kids fighting, drama, HOA complaints, loud neighbors fighting, nosy neighbors getting into my business...

I swear it was like living on Wisteria Lane. Never again. I will join a pool and drive the 6 miles. I now drive 10 miles to the grocery store. It is well worth it.
Everyone's cup of tea is definitely different It does sound awful and crazy where you came from...

I would like to be in a community with lots of families with kids similarly aged to my own though. But without loud/nosy/fighting/drama filled neighbors!

Old 08-27-2017, 10:51 AM

I just wanted to update everyone...

We found a community we were very interested in- while not close to amenities, they had larger than average lots, and an option for 4 car garage homes.

Just as we were seriously talking about it though, DH unexpectedly lost his supposedly stable job!

However, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as he quickly got a better job, with a nicer manager and better work environment (and a bit higher pay and a lot higher earning potential) less than 2 miles from where we live now.

So while the short commute is awesome, this house still isn't working for our family of 5 for numerous reasons.

Soooo we are now looking into both new and existing communities in our immediate area. We are going to wait until next Summer though to seriously get ready to move, as we want DH to get a bit more stability at his new job, and want to ensure that the private school our children are attending (my oldest starts PreK this week) is working for us, as the major downfall of our current suburb is two subpar public school districts.

Next year I hope I'll be able to update you all when we have finally bought, sold and moved

Old 08-28-2017, 08:35 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Thanks for the update. Just curious whether the things that aren't working in the current house are fixable if you put the money you'd spend on a new house towards that instead? Some things can be fixed but if it's space or layout and you have the ability to potentially expand, it might be worth at least having a consult with an architect to see what options you might have. It sounded like you liked your area and a 2 mile commute is a huge plus.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Thanks for the update. Just curious whether the things that aren't working in the current house are fixable if you put the money you'd spend on a new house towards that instead? Some things can be fixed but if it's space or layout and you have the ability to potentially expand, it might be worth at least having a consult with an architect to see what options you might have. It sounded like you liked your area and a 2 mile commute is a huge plus.
Unfortunately the main issues we have aren't fixable, at least not by us.

The pros of our current house:

•Lovely half acre backyard with mature trees
•The BEST neighbors I could possibly wish for
•Walking distance to park, recreation center, pool, shopping, etc.

The cons (that we can't fix):
•Our street is the 'main street' into our subdivision. While it is only a 25mph zone and an S shape, everyone likes to treat it as a race track in spite of frequent police 'speed traps'
•We are at the curve of one of the S bends, and since moving here over 4 years ago, speeding cars who miscalculated the bend have hit our porch, hit our trees in the front yard, and last October slammed into my car parked in the driveway. The city refuses to put any kind of traffic calming in the street as it is an 'emergency and snow route'. A car landed in the living room a couple of houses down, last year (thank goodness nobody was hurt) and the idea of that possibility is terrifying, especially with my children's bedrooms at the front of the house
•The sewer system in this subdivision is inadequate- 4 times in 5 years we have woken up to 2+ feet of sewage in the basement after heavy rainfall. Our first insurance company dropped us after the first 2 claims, and now we are paying an astronomical amount for home insurance because of it, even though we fixed the flood damage from the last 2 events at our own expense. The sewer districts answer is to give people check valves, but all of the check valves have been failing due to the amount of pressure build up. Not having a usable basement for storage or recreation is a real pain, considering our main level is only around 1500sqft with a family of 5.

Based on those factors, this house really doesn't and couldn't work for us, unless the city and sewer district can implement real fixes to the problems (which they won't).

We are sick of living in fear of more sewage filling our basement every time it rains, and wondering if a hooligan is going to drive straight into our house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate