Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 11:59 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times

Advertisements

The other thing that I don't get is that there is also something called an "apartment"

A tiny house of sorts that people came up with when they were dealing with limited land

Why not just get an apartment? Or a condo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
I, for one, prefer to own rather than throw my money away on rent, and condos come with condo (maintenance/HOA) fees.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:20 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I, for one, prefer to own rather than throw my money away on rent, and condos come with condo (maintenance/HOA) fees.
And houses come with maintenance too - condo fees are just a way to have everyone contribute on an ongoing basis so the money is there when needed and the work can be done, vs. an individual homeowner who has to come up with the money and perhaps delay much needed maintenance if they don't have it. Since a condo has multiple owners, this limits the risk that one owner with limited savings could jeopardize the value of the entire structure if they didn't have money to pay for a roof replacement or some other big ticket item. But not having a condo fee certainly doesn't mean not having to pay for ongoing costs on a home you own.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:22 PM

You seldom get equal value for the condo/HOA fee that you pay each month, IMHO. That's in addition to having no control over it (unless you're on the board, and then it's only partial, possible control plus a headache). It's a necessary evil if you live that lifestyle.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:29 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And houses come with maintenance too - condo fees are just a way to have everyone contribute on an ongoing basis so the money is there when needed and the work can be done, vs. an individual homeowner who has to come up with the money and perhaps delay much needed maintenance if they don't have it. Since a condo has multiple owners, this limits the risk that one owner with limited savings could jeopardize the value of the entire structure if they didn't have money to pay for a roof replacement or some other big ticket item. But not having a condo fee certainly doesn't mean not having to pay for ongoing costs on a home you own.

Condo fees are the biggest racket in America. There is no chance a 2 bedroom 1,000 SF condo requires $400/month in maintenance. I understand it also takes care of general areas such as snow plowing, maybe the pool if applicable, street lights etc. And from what I understand if it's a huge figure like a new roof they bump up the condo fees. When you multiply $400/month X the number of units there is no question the fees are higher than the maintenance costs. This is a huge revenue maker for the owners of the building at the condo owner's expense.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Condo fees are the biggest racket in America. There is no chance a 2 bedroom 1,000 SF condo requires $400/month in maintenance. I understand it also takes care of general areas such as snow plowing, maybe the pool if applicable, street lights etc. And from what I understand if it's a huge figure like a new roof they bump up the condo fees. When you multiply $400/month X the number of units there is no question the fees are higher than the maintenance costs. This is a huge revenue maker for the owners of the building at the condo owner's expense.
And when there IS a maintenance issue, you get slapped with an assessment on top of the fees (which fees can be raised at any time without your input). The only way I'd consider one is to be oceanfront in retirement and, even then, only with great trepidation. It's also more difficult to sell a condo than a SFH and...shared walls.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:56 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If you look at the budget, you should where all the money is going. If you don't feel it's justified, then push back. I've never been on the board of an HOA, but I did go to the budget approval meetings and questioned when I felt it was necessary and I've also been part of a movement where we recalled a board that we felt was not responsive to our questions and trying to spend money that the majority of owners didn't want to spend.

And no, they should not be bumping up the fees or having an assessment to cover an anticipated item like a roof replacement. They should be working from a reserve study and having an adequate enough set aside to cover the replacement at the end of life.

There are well managed HOAs and poorly run ones - but the dollar amount of the fee each month does not tell you which is which.

And by the way, there are no "owners" of a condo building who are making money from it, all the individual owners collectively own the building.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:26 PM

If you want to own in Manhattan, you're probably living in a condo

Old 06-05-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You would rather own a trailer? And live in your mama's backyard?

Old 06-05-2017, 02:30 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you look at the budget, you should where all the money is going. If you don't feel it's justified, then push back. I've never been on the board of an HOA, but I did go to the budget approval meetings and questioned when I felt it was necessary and I've also been part of a movement where we recalled a board that we felt was not responsive to our questions and trying to spend money that the majority of owners didn't want to spend.

And no, they should not be bumping up the fees or having an assessment to cover an anticipated item like a roof replacement. They should be working from a reserve study and having an adequate enough set aside to cover the replacement at the end of life.

There are well managed HOAs and poorly run ones - but the dollar amount of the fee each month does not tell you which is which.

And by the way, there are no "owners" of a condo building who are making money from it, all the individual owners collectively own the building.

Yes I realized I misspoke and it was too late to correct. But you will never convince me the HOA fees represent the true costs. I live in a 1900 farmhouse on 5 acres and I don't come close to $400/month in home maintenance, nowhere near that amount. And yes I know friends who had their jacked up big time when a big expense was needed, I think it was a sewer line.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-05-2017 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate