Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 11:30 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yes I realized I misspoke and it was too late to correct. But you will never convince me the HOA fees represent the true costs. I live in a 1900 farmhouse on 5 acres and I don't come close to $400/month in home maintenance, nowhere near that amount. And yes I know friends who had their jacked up big time when a big expense was needed, I think it was a sewer line.
Still wrong.

You just pulled $400.00 out of thin air.

What are you talking about "true costs"? We have RESERVE FUNDS and they escrow. And maybe we're willing to pay a little for maintenance instead of schlepping the tractor around 5 acres every week.

Condo (and all) HOAs are all different as to the fees and what they cover. Some are only $75.00 per quarter and some are hundreds per month.

Can't convince you?

Dude. Why do you insist on fighting about this when you have no idea.

For starters, MY $350/mo Condo HOA includes
  • Cable TV
  • Trash
  • Water
  • Sewer
  • A 24 hr gated & security guarded entry
  • Two clubhouses with kitchens
  • Two pools
  • Tennis
  • Gym
  • Business Center with Internet
  • Exterior Barbecue areas and seating
  • Intracoastal Waterway access and views
  • a 50 acre Nature Trail w gardens
  • a dock and observation area on the Intracoastal
  • A boat dock and lift
  • a management office and full service management team
  • maintenance personnel
  • covered parking and reserved spots
  • extensive gorgeous landscaping
  • 3 lakes
  • RESERVES FOR ROOFING AND exterior maintenance up to the interior drywall i.e.painting, plumbing, powerwashing, replacing rebar and concrete stairs and atriums, concrete sidewalk repairs, external lighting...etc etc

The only thing I pay is Electric.

Now let's see. I'm paying $350.00 for all that. What are you paying for CABLE? $130-$150???

PFFFT when I had a TOWNHOUSE just the lawn mowing could cost me >$100.00 per month

It always cracks me up that HOA haters (who aren't familiar with them in the least)...always assume were're just a bunch of DOPES being taken advantage of.

OH, and my RE taxes are a whopping $500.00 per year.

Next week when you're mowing your yard, think of me - I'll be at the pool.

OH and if you have a leak in your walls? Have fun. All I have to do is call the on call maintenance guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 06:43 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,844,611 times
This is just one of those fads. It is primarily young people with few belongings and no kids that are buying and living in them. They won't work for a family, just simply not enough room. This is basically just the new age version of the hippy VW minibus from the 60's early 70's or the customized van pot smokers from the 80's. Today's version is basically just a glorified travel trailer that like any other mobile home or travel trailer, will depreciate in value and will be worth very little at all when the fad phase passes.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:53 AM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but we live in a warm climate with a homeless population. There is a plan for a tiny house neighborhood for veterans who are homeless. The first phase is underway, so it remains to be seen how it works out. Obviously, to a reasonable person, a tiny house with a bathroom and AC should be a godsend to someone living under a bridge.

However, there are already social programs in place for the homeless, which they cannot, or will not comply with, so perhaps they won't want the tiny homes either.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:25 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but we live in a warm climate with a homeless population. There is a plan for a tiny house neighborhood for veterans who are homeless. The first phase is underway, so it remains to be seen how it works out. Obviously, to a reasonable person, a tiny house with a bathroom and AC should be a godsend to someone living under a bridge.

However, there are already social programs in place for the homeless, which they cannot, or will not comply with, so perhaps they won't want the tiny homes either.
Yes...I understand that homelessness can affect anyone, but it seems like the "chronically homeless," or what we think of when we think of homeless folks, often have other issues. The folks that fall on really hard times (without a raging addiction or mental illness) often seem to get back on their feet. I used to work day labor with some really hard cases, but they weren't homeless. They were one twisted ankle away from being homeless, but they scraped together their weekly rate at the boarding house, or lived two or three to a room in a cheap motel for weekly rates.

It will be interesting to see if the tiny house experiment works, or if it turns into a shantytown.

I know Raleigh had a neighborhood of "tiny homes" (what Southerners would call Mill Houses) around 500 sq ft and demolished it about two years ago. AFAIK, while not a utopia, it wasn't exactly a slum either. Mostly working class folks. https://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/af...nt?oid=4506465

Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Quote:

Isn't it nice that taxpayers give to people who can turn up their noses at something that is FREE for them, or maybe live in it long enough to trash it?

If something isn't earned, it is less likely to be cared for.

The people who are homeless from layoffs/accidents/other true misfortunes would appreciate any assistance. The addicts and other chronics, OTOH...

Better to save resources to help the group with the most motivation to help themselves.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:45 AM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Isn't it nice that taxpayers give to people who can turn up their noses at something that is FREE for them, or maybe live in it long enough to trash it?

If something isn't earned, it is less likely to be cared for.

The people who are homeless from layoffs/accidents/other true misfortunes would appreciate any assistance. The addicts and other chronics, OTOH...

Better to save resources to help the group with the most motivation to help themselves.
This is actually a charity effort. The city may have donated the land....not sure.

So, I just went back to read more about it. There will be groups of 12 houses@ within this village. There will be a "coordinator" for every group of 12. Although the residents will not be required to attend counseling or AA meetings, these will be available to them. So will coordinated transportation to grocery stores and medical appts.

The plan is to shift from the old ways of requiring participation in order to qualify, to providing a safe supported space where the resident can participate at the rate he feels comfortable. Each group of homes will be responsible to take care of upkeep and maintenance. There will be community laundry facilities and meeting rooms.

Last edited by gentlearts; 06-07-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2017, 12:04 PM

21,888 posts, read 12,991,949 times
I'd be pretty ticked off if someone got a tiny house for free, without having to work for it, while I who have worked and saved all my life am not ALLOWED to live in one!

Old 06-07-2017, 12:05 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Still wrong.

You just pulled $400.00 out of thin air.

What are you talking about "true costs"? We have RESERVE FUNDS and they escrow. And maybe we're willing to pay a little for maintenance instead of schlepping the tractor around 5 acres every week.

Condo (and all) HOAs are all different as to the fees and what they cover. Some are only $75.00 per quarter and some are hundreds per month.

Can't convince you?

Dude. Why do you insist on fighting about this when you have no idea.

For starters, MY $350/mo Condo HOA includes
  • Cable TV
  • Trash
  • Water
  • Sewer
  • A 24 hr gated & security guarded entry
  • Two clubhouses with kitchens
  • Two pools
  • Tennis
  • Gym
  • Business Center with Internet
  • Exterior Barbecue areas and seating
  • Intracoastal Waterway access and views
  • a 50 acre Nature Trail w gardens
  • a dock and observation area on the Intracoastal
  • A boat dock and lift
  • a management office and full service management team
  • maintenance personnel
  • covered parking and reserved spots
  • extensive gorgeous landscaping
  • 3 lakes
  • RESERVES FOR ROOFING AND exterior maintenance up to the interior drywall i.e.painting, plumbing, powerwashing, replacing rebar and concrete stairs and atriums, concrete sidewalk repairs, external lighting...etc etc

The only thing I pay is Electric.

Now let's see. I'm paying $350.00 for all that. What are you paying for CABLE? $130-$150???

PFFFT when I had a TOWNHOUSE just the lawn mowing could cost me >$100.00 per month

It always cracks me up that HOA haters (who aren't familiar with them in the least)...always assume were're just a bunch of DOPES being taken advantage of.

OH, and my RE taxes are a whopping $500.00 per year.

Next week when you're mowing your yard, think of me - I'll be at the pool.

OH and if you have a leak in your walls? Have fun. All I have to do is call the on call maintenance guy.
I have all of that too. There's a state park that's 1.5 miles away that has boating, trails, fishing, etc. $70/year for a state park pass. And my gym membership is $20/month for a pool, weights, treadmills, etc. Water/Trash is about $50/month around me. I don't watch TV that isn't over the air. So we're looking at about $76/month for what you're paying $350 for.

I get it. Some people just want to maintain the inside of their homes. They hate yard work and want to feel like they're living on a resort. I have no issues with that. Just don't be pretend that you're not paying more than you would be if you didn't live in an HOA community.

The house I bought has a "pointless" $100/month HOA. Covers mowing common areas, trash and snow removal, a pool in the summer, and a "clubhouse" (which is nothing more than a building with meeting rooms). Only reason I bought the house was it was one of the few within our budget for the size and style we liked. Otherwise hell no. Common areas and snow removal are usually covered by the city and the pool in the summer is a "nice" feature, I guess, but again, I already have a gym membership.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:11 PM

370 posts, read 447,409 times
Quote:
This is actually a charity effort. The city may have donated the land....not sure.

So, I just went back to read more about it. There will be groups of 12 houses@ within this village. There will be a "coordinator" for every group of 12. Although the residents will not be required to attend counseling or AA meetings, these will be available to them. So will coordinated transportation to grocery stores and medical appts.

The plan is to shift from the old ways of requiring participation in order to qualify, to providing a safe supported space where the resident can participate at the rate he feels comfortable. Each group of homes will be responsible to take care of upkeep and maintenance. There will be community laundry facilities and meeting rooms.
From experience with another "Tiny House homeless recovery program", this has already been tried in other cities and the failures are not getting the press/media coverage it deserves!

If just 1 out of 5 tiny homes or apartments or social welfare buildings are damaged to a point of unlivable for the next resident then the project has run into failure. I have seen well intentioned tenants with "mental disorders" flood a tiny home. I have seen well intentioned tenants who were good people leave the doors open to the house causing water damage from rain storm. Finally, I have seen the "my child" card played that caused a tiny home to be sanctioned as permanent living till child became an adult.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd be pretty ticked off if someone got a tiny house for free, without having to work for it, while I who have worked and saved all my life am not ALLOWED to live in one!
If some of those homeless people are vets, I'm pretty sure they "earned" their housing and paid a much higher price, as well. What they went though being in combat is usually one of the main reasons they're homeless in the first place. Compared to the work the average person does to earn money, I'd say these guys and gals did more than the majority of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate