Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:12 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times

Advertisements

I called my agent and she said that it IS online. I told her that it wasn't and she said that she gets notified when the house is listed and that "it says" it's there. I told her no it wasn't. She then tried to find the house listing and couldn't find any except an old one on Zillow, with an old price, and had it listed as "off market", but nothing on any other sites. Having surgery in 3 days, so I will deal with this in the middle of July. This is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:52 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
When we were looking to buy, we looked at all the sites, local broker or big collector. Then took the info with several grains of salt. There were so many inconsistencies, omissions, old data, and inaccuracies.

Having a house for sale now, I see that those sites still vary wildly in their "data." Zillow and Trulia are the worst for accuracy, from what I found. They sometimes show a house that is Active as being Off The Market or Not For Sale (and in our case, the original listing brokerage website also showed it as Off The Market when there was a buyer contingency that the buyer failed--in two cases with different buyers who didn't get the funds). Yeah, we switched to another firm and agent.

But don't believe any site--ask the current listing agent for your best shot at getting good info. And take that with a grain of salt, too.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Zillow never sold a house or showed a house.

almost every MLS syndicates to Realtor.com therefore, R.com has THE most accurate and up-to-date info of the national websites.

When a Redfin office is in your locale, then Redfin also is very accurate. Because they HAVE TO BE.

Zillow has done a fantastic job of telling people that they are the site to look for homes. Spent hundreds of millions of dollars convincing you that they're the best. They're the worst. they're just the biggest.

In this day and agent, almost no local brokerages website contains only their listings. We all syndicate the information among ourselves. We agree to provide a wee little disclaimer "this listing brought to you by RealtyArts".

Zillow shows the listing agent to the right of every listing. Then they show you their advertising agents, in the hope that you'll randomly pick one of them if you don't have a Realtor in your new location.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:56 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
NY can be a whole different animal in real estate.

Cooperstown is a really great place. Love the area.

Statistically, homes are not listed online anywhere when one is a celebrity and doesn't want to be found out; when you just don't want the neighbors to know or fear people stopping in; when you don't want to waste time having your property shown and trust the realtor to show it only to "if a suchandsuch type buyer ever shows up". A couple other reasons....and then another one, because the agents in that area typically try to get both sides of the sale or want to generate all calls to them in order to generate more sales of all homes, not just yours.

When you feel better, check your listing agreement for when your listing expires or how you to get out of it.

Talk to the agent (although she seemed like she was hiding something based on what you said she said) and tell her you want this and that, etc. and will discontinue the listing when you check on her and these things are not done.

Alternatively, you really don't want an agent you have to check after so much. See if there are agents who typically advertise all over...some great free places where, yes, they may attract a buyer's agent and buyer.

If your house is historic, you could try some of the historic sites. Actually, agents in the area may have a deal with those sites where they can put on the historic property site a certain number of houses a year for a set price so you don't have to pay yourself.

Lots of b&bs in your general area. See if you area govt would find that acceptable if a new buyer wanted to do that....without your having to go to any cost right now to get a permit, etc. There are b&bs for sale sites your realtor could list it on without it actually officially being one yet.

All the best with your surgery.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:45 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Just looked at Zillow's misrepresentation of our listing.

OLD listing text
OLD photos
OLD price
OLD listing agent shown as contact, not the current one

This after a few months of old data shown along with Off The Market; now still old data but Active. It also says that it was relisted on June 8 BY OUR OLD BROKER (how can they even do this?) which is a month later than the actual relisting date done by our new listing agent. It also shows what we paid 6 years ago for bare land, which of course makes it look like we are gouging on price. It is the opposite--we are not even recovering what we paid for just land and construction. But how many viewers would notice that the build date is later than the land-purchase date?

Either there is gross incompetence at Zillow, ethically questionable tactics on the part of the former brokerage, or both.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:43 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times
Thanks everyone. Will be laid up for the next couple weeks but will be looking into this mess when I feel better. You all gave great info.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:55 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I called my agent and she said that it IS online. I told her that it wasn't and she said that she gets notified when the house is listed and that "it says" it's there. I told her no it wasn't. She then tried to find the house listing and couldn't find any except an old one on Zillow, with an old price, and had it listed as "off market", but nothing on any other sites. Having surgery in 3 days, so I will deal with this in the middle of July. This is crazy.

I'm sorry, but your realtor doesn't know what she's doing! Shoot her an email or text and tell her you NEED the listing to be updated on all the websites (Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com) ASAP! You just can't let it go for a month!

Are you living in the home? If so, it might be a good idea to suspend the listing until you're ready to show again anyway. You can't show the home if you're resting after surgery. Then tell your agent that you expect the listing to be updated on every website within 24hrs or FIND A NEW AGENT! BTW, Realtor.com updates every 15 minutes or something like that so if it's not on there it's because your agent didn't list it properly.

Good luck with your surgery!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:33 AM

712 posts, read 842,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thanks everyone. Will be laid up for the next couple weeks but will be looking into this mess when I feel better. You all gave great info.
yeah - I'd pull it OFF the market with this realtor. NOW!

If you keep it off market for about 30 days (double check), it should show up as NEW listing - with a NEW realtor, listed properly (BEST way to recover from situation like this). As mentioned, you won't 'be showing' a few weeks anyway, so pull it off now.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:05 AM

50 posts, read 101,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I am a broker. "My" broker, at that. As of May 1, 2017, I cannot upload to Z/T. They refuse to allow me to.

I can choose to give my entire history to Z via MLS for "free." I choose not to give up all that data.
I can give Z a custom feed of Active listings via MLS. $500 and $300/quarter. I choose not to.
So its not that you cannot have a feed to Z/T...you chose not to. I know many with Triangle that use both successfully.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:31 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehamill View Post
So its not that you cannot have a feed to Z/T...you chose not to. I know many with Triangle that use both successfully.
I used to be able to post my listings to Z, until they took that functionality away in a power play for data.
$1400/year is a lot of overhead for advertising in a lead generation system that is totally unnecessary for actually selling houses.

And, yes, I choose not to give Z all my listing history for 12 years. If Zillow was actually necessary for selling houses, or even contributed to selling houses, I might reconsider.
If they would cease posting unsolicited Zestimates, I might reconsider.

What is the yardstick for "using successfully," when there is no actual sales value to the market for what is basically a profit-oriented lead generation function?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate