Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 03:36 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
That ^ is WAY more than needed. Realtor has no need to see bank balances. The approval letter and amount should take into account all money needed to make the purchase.
Some high end homes won't be shown without proof of funds. Gotta keep out the riff-raff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 03:39 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,818,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe try to push them down in expectations.
I think it would just depend on the buyer. So many people won't take someone at their word, they need to actually see with their own eyes. A realtor can only do so much with a buyer's expectations, especially if the buyer is someone who thinks the realtor is out to cheat them no matter what.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:02 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I think it would just depend on the buyer. So many people won't take someone at their word, they need to actually see with their own eyes. A realtor can only do so much with a buyer's expectations, especially if the buyer is someone who thinks the realtor is out to cheat them no matter what.
The buyer can see online what is out there in their price range and the recently sold properties as well. If they can't handle the facts they can see for themselves, they would be a PITA to work with anyway.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,522 times
I've never had to show a realtor proof of funds or a prequal letter in order for them to show me homes.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:16 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

Who you are borrowing from is none of their business.
I disagree with this. We need to know who the lender is to know if their offer is going to be turned down based solely on lender choice. Yes, you heard me. Listing agents advise their clients all the time to turn down offers if letters come from the big banks like BofA, Chase, Wells, etc... because they won't close on time, you can never get the same person on the phone for updates, and processing is all done out of state in different time zones and the right doesn't talk with the left.

It's very important to know who the lender is so we can help with the negotiations, especially in a multiple offer situation.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:12 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I've never had to show a realtor proof of funds or a prequal letter in order for them to show me homes.
I haven't either, but they always ask if I'm prequalified. I totally get though why some realtors would request proof or pre-qualification so they don't waste their time.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:29 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
I got my preapproval letter from the mortgage lender first so I knew what I could afford and my realtor wasn't wasting his time showing me houses only to find out later that I have not been approved.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:12 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Some high end homes won't be shown without proof of funds. Gotta keep out the riff-raff.
Proof of funds letter or lender prequal letter is much different than me needing to see bank balances. I don't need to see bank balances. I need a letter from the bank, or lender, or stock broker, or the guy guarding the suitcase full of money (joke-mostly ) indicating there are sufficient funds to make this purchase. And we need access to the lender in order to be able to answer some detail questions when the offer is made.... not because I'm nosy or doubting the buyer, but because a specific approval letter, loan type, down payment and closing cost estimate are often part of the offer. I don't know those numbers, and often times, neither does the buyer.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:32 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
That was our experience. The first time we met with our realtor, we told her that our top limit was around $250k and that we would be putting 50% down and getting a mortgage for the balance. And that was that, as far as our discussion on finances. When we settled on a house, she recommended a local bank and we got a very good rate and the approval process took about 90 minutes.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:17 AM

29 posts, read 26,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I disagree with this. We need to know who the lender is to know if their offer is going to be turned down based solely on lender choice. Yes, you heard me. Listing agents advise their clients all the time to turn down offers if letters come from the big banks like BofA, Chase, Wells, etc... because they won't close on time, you can never get the same person on the phone for updates, and processing is all done out of state in different time zones and the right doesn't talk with the left.

It's very important to know who the lender is so we can help with the negotiations, especially in a multiple offer situation.
Good point. You are correct that if the pre-approval comes from a mega-bank, it will likely not close on time. I think the OP is objecting to the pressure to use the lender recommended by the agent. Maybe if the agent were to explain the challenges of using a large bank and offered up multiple lenders as an alternative would have been a better approach. And, encouraging their buyer to "interview" other lenders. There is no need for the lender to run credit immediately. A simple phone call to determine if the loan officer and company is a good fit usually solves the problem of who to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate