Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 04:32 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to find an excel spreadsheet already filled in with the forumulas for
basic financial planning. Not too many bells and whistles.
I would like to be able to put in my different retireent incomes, taxes,
expenses and see what happens when I change the numbers a little this way a little that way.
But I'm not good with forumula's in excel and I don't want to download a virus.
Maybe AARP or somewhere?

I feel a little stupid adding this but I see people say "run the numbers" a lot.
Exactly what numbers do you run and how?

Last edited by Giesela; 07-29-2015 at 04:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 05:01 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,085,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm hoping to find an excel spreadsheet already filled in with the forumulas for
expenses and see what happens when I change the numbers a little this way a little that way.
Maybe AARP or somewhere?

I feel a little stupid adding this but I see people say "run the numbers" a lot.

I downloaded a few from this site How to Calculate Your Retirement Plan with Excel - Couple Money and none were infected.

First one is a very simple one called Simple-Retirement-Planner-Spreadsheet
Second one I looked at Solutions Retirement Planner 2008
and the last one I looked at was call retirement-planning-spreadsheet. I would have attached them here but C-D wont let me. If you want you can send personal email to me in direct message and I will send or you can go to the site yourself and download.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:51 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,535 times
Giesla,

When people are saying to "run the numbers" they mean that you need to figure out what income you will be receiving in retirement and what expenses you are going to have in retirement. Then you subtract the income from the expenses to see if you will have enough money to cover everything.

To figure out your income first you need to figure out at what age you are going to retire. Then you look at every source of income you will have: interest, dividends, social security, salary if you will be working, distributions from IRA/401(k) plans, etc.

Next you look at all of your expenses (i.e. groceries, utilities, rent/mortgage, insurance, etc.) and your expected expenses (for instance, if you know that in 5 years you will have to buy a car, you need to add that expense into your planning).

Here is a calculator that will help you: Client Portal | Calculators Page You can change the numbers to see how it changes the outcome.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:55 AM

720 posts, read 765,729 times
Quote:
Maybe AARP or somewhere?

Hey Gisela,

You're not the only one with that question. I've just been too scared to ask

Old 07-30-2015, 04:53 AM

155 posts, read 148,936 times
Quote:
Maybe AARP or somewhere?

If you are based in the US the best resource I've found is Personal Capital https://www.personalcapital.com/
Excellent tools and support.
Good luck!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,229 times
I think using budgeting tools and just adjusting the income and spending for retirement is the way to go. I have two entirely different spreadsheets for current and retirement planning, but they are both the same budget spreadsheet template.

For Excel, I recommend this:
Free Money Management Template for Excel

I am a Google user. By that I mean most of what I do as a I have an Android smart phone, use Gmail, Drive, Tracks, etc. So even though you are asking about Excel, I am going to suggest the Drive sheets as an alternative. Many of them are readily available as Excel also. Check out this article:
10 Money Management Tools Inside Google Drive You Should Use Today

I find it most helpful to start by entering all your current information so you can see where you are spending now and know what you are looking at adjusting. All sorts of stuff will fall through the cracks if you don't do an exercise with actuals first. It's easy to just plug in numbers that make the expenses meet the income if you don't have anything to compare it to.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:43 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Golfingduo thank you for that site but those didn't suit. I have looked at the some of the other recommendations, not all yet, but have looked around on my own too and not found 'the one'. I would prefer a downloadable one vs. on line where it seems you have to start over all the time.

My primary objective is trying to figure out what I'm going to have to live on. Minus federal state, county taxes, minus healthcare - things I can't change. I have to fit my lifestyle to that not the other way around. So why list all my expenses now etc?

I will have a small annuity, small national guard retirement and a small social security supplement till 62. The all seem to get taxed differently. Only 85% of soc security by the feds, etc. etc. etc. I want to see what I have before I figure out what I'm going to spend it on.

Patmil-I'm sorry but it looks like you have to "join" that site and I'm sick of having accounts everywhere, even if they are free.

Last edited by Giesela; 07-31-2015 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 12:30 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,085,536 times
Quote:
Golfingduo thank you for that site but those didn't suit. I have looked at the some of the other recommendations, not all yet, but have looked around on my own too and not found 'the one'. I would prefer a downloadable one vs. on line where it seems you have to start over all the time.

My primary objective is trying to figure out what I'm going to have to live on. Minus federal state, county taxes, minus healthcare - things I can't change. I have to fit my lifestyle to that not the other way around. So why list all my expenses now etc?

I will have a small annuity, small national guard retirement and a small social security supplement till 62. The all seem to get taxed differently. Only 85% of soc security by the feds, etc. etc. etc. I want to see what I have before I figure out what I'm going to spend it on.

Patmil-I'm sorry but it looks like you have to "join" that site and I'm sick of having accounts everywhere, even if they are free.

If you are looking at seeing if what you have will work then try www.firecalc.com it isn't a downloadable but it does take all income and let you know if your numbers project out right. It has algorithms in it to account for retirement pensions and savings. It also will take in all sources of income and you can put in numbers that reflect your spending. Something to look at anyway. It don't require a log in or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement