Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:20 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times

Advertisements

We need a new range and unfortunately it is electric. We hate electric ranges but have learned to adapt. But since we are going to be replacing the range I was wondering what a change to propane could do for resale. It will be an expense, still trying to determine that amount but I'm thinking $1,000 plus the cost of the range.

The kitchen of this old farmhouse needs a remake, and we are not sure we want to commit to that expense with regard to ROI. And I kind of buy into the "either do it all or do nothing and price accordingly" with regard to a kitchen remodel. But this may be a fairly inexpensive change that could really help sell a home we plan to sell in about 7 years when we relocate in retirement.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 06:31 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
I think you should get a firm quote from a propane company for installation of the tank and gas line.
$1000 seems high to me.

Regardless, this is something you should do for YOU, and not plan on much payback if you decide to sell.
Many people prefer glasstop electric cooktops to gas cooktops.
And, many people consider propane as a mediocre substitute for natural gas.

Check out what is most dominant in your area, and don't plan on a great ROI if you are doing something that most people do not do.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:43 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
If you put in a propane kitchen range, you will get "lookers" who will say something like "Oh, we really like the place, but we don't want gas in the house!"
If you get a new electric range, there will be "lookers" who say "We really like the place, but we don't want an electric range." (In fact, I was one of them, but we bought the place anyway, and had the propane installed later.)
Whether it be houses or cars, I have never understood the "What is the resale value?" concept. I do not buy for the next owner, I buy for ME! The potential "next owner" can take care of himself. At my age, the possible "return on investment" will be realized by my estate anyway. I will be dead, I don't care about what my kids sell it for!

Old 07-23-2017, 06:47 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Induction.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:48 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We need a new range and unfortunately it is electric. We hate electric ranges but have learned to adapt. But since we are going to be replacing the range I was wondering what a change to propane could do for resale. It will be an expense, still trying to determine that amount but I'm thinking $1,000 plus the cost of the range.

The kitchen of this old farmhouse needs a remake, and we are not sure we want to commit to that expense with regard to ROI. And I kind of buy into the "either do it all or do nothing and price accordingly" with regard to a kitchen remodel. But this may be a fairly inexpensive change that could really help sell a home we plan to sell in about 7 years when we relocate in retirement.

Thoughts?
I like electric for cooking. I hate gas. You would lose a sale if you replaced the electric which is hooked up to a line that furnishes power to propane that has to be messed with in order for it to work. We have a total electric home because I am allergic to gas.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:58 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Fascinating replies, I thank you. I find them interesting because I had always assumed gas was preferred. That is certainly our preference and every serious cook I talked to about it. They heat up instantly and offer much more heat control than electric.

As I said we will be moving in 7 years or so. EVERY decision we make regarding home improvement will be based on ROI. And as most pre-retirement people know when you get to this point you start looking at dollars and cents very carefully. We do not have the budget to do things to the home based on what we prefer. We have had an electric range for 14 years, we can live with another one.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:00 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times
Is gas or electric the norm in your area? Or is it more split? This could help predict what buyers will expect.

Around here, you can find both. I prefer gas.

When I was house hunting in North Carolina, not one single house I looked at had gas, or even a gas line to the kitchen. (They pretty much all had a gas furnace. The house I bought had a gas fireplace.) None of my friends had gas stoves, either.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:11 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Is gas or electric the norm in your area? Or is it more split? This could help predict what buyers will expect.

Around here, you can find both. I prefer gas.

When I was house hunting in North Carolina, not one single house I looked at had gas, or even a gas line to the kitchen. (They pretty much all had a gas furnace. The house I bought had a gas fireplace.) None of my friends had gas stoves, either.
I don't know where in NC you were, but thet are quite common in the Triangle.

Can somebody explain the difference to me between has and propane for a stove top? I'm just curious.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:17 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't know where in NC you were, but thet are quite common in the Triangle.
Lake Norman area (north of Charlotte)
Maybe it is price point, too. I don't know. I was looking under $130K and all of my friends are/were teachers.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Switching to propane should be like buying art: Get it because you like it, not because it might be a good investment.
I have a 500 gallon tank, it gets filled only to 80%. We have a water heater and two zone heating, small fireplace but no stove.. Probably paying $1800 a year.
The propane company owns our tank so we cannot shop for a better price. Don't go that route, buy your own and be sure to save the receipt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate