Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,647,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no .. my sister is in arizona . the heat sucks! i will take ny weather any day .
I was in Salt Lake City in July and thought I was going to die! The whole dry heat thing is nonsense. 106 is flipping hot!

I've lived in SC and NY...back in NY now with zero plans to move south ever again. I had neighbors who literally cooked an egg on the concrete driveway down there. Took awhile, but you wouldn't be able to do that here....thank goodness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 PM

672 posts, read 256,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Just don't rub it in. No one likes to hear someone who brags about where he is now, if they would secretly like to do it too but can't afford it, or can't for some other reason.
haha...I used to rub it in (gently of course) on my vendors in WI when it's 70 degrees here in January!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:52 PM

1,047 posts, read 728,290 times
Default hi

No, I never felt guilty for this.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:13 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,740,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, but I may feel a little guilty when my old city is 105 degrees with the sun burning down, and I am enjoying the clouds, drizzle, and 65 degrees.
I lived in Richland, WA and now I live in Copenhagen, DK. I don't feel guilty.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:27 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,672,416 times
We moved down here to the tropics for affordable beach living with very low COL.

I love it, but it's a trade-off. Coming from almost no humidity, sweating a lot is not fun. But it's cloudy so much too...

Part of it was safety, as we grow older. Chopping wood for the wood stove, driving on icy roads, shoveling snow....we just had enough.

Now if I could have stayed in SoCal where I grew up, but on the beach there, I would have.

Decisions, decisions. I sure don't feel guilty for making this one.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:31 AM

7,736 posts, read 6,482,155 times
I relocated from Texas to Minnesota, grew up in Florida where I'm now for the holiday. I'm the opposite, I love the cold. Minnesota is 22 right now, Texas is 32 and Florida is 82. I think Texas has the perfect weather for Thanksgiving right now. I'm NOT looking forward to going outside to buy groceries!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, but I may feel a little guilty when my old city is 105 degrees with the sun burning down, and I am enjoying the clouds, drizzle, and 65 degrees.
When its 20 degrees and snowing at my Minnesota home on Christmas Eve, while my family in Miami is in crappy 80 degrees and Santa is having a heatstroke, I might have a slight moment of guilt as I sip on my eggnog. It'll pass though, its a Catholic thing. Guilt, that is

Old 11-23-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I used to !
Now I feel like I made the right decision.
Just feel happy that you have had the means to do what you had to do along with any sacrifices you made to tear up the psychological roots and move to what you considered a better place to live.
As this nation progresses to a nation of have and have nots because of the cost of housing is so much higher in the warm areas of this country, count your blessings this Thanksgiving that you're not shoveling snow to get out of the driveway to go to work.
I'd gladly shovel snow every once in a while as long as it means I live somewhere where seasons exist. I mean for what its worth, we've had several snowfalls since October 27th and we've yet needed to use a shovel. Probably will be one or two weeks before it snows enough that you actually need to shovel the driveway. You don't need a shovel for 1-2 inches. Ice scraping is more annoying to me but that only takes a minute at most.

Hot humid weather that lasts into winter? No thanks. I did 20 years of that growing up.

Oh, also not only do I not have a car at the moment, but my job is literally behind my house. I walk to work. I'll worry about shovelling the driveway when I have the luxury of driving again

Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I moved from the Northeast to Texas years ago, and I envy everybody back home. They get changes in seasons, and the cold only lasts a couple of months. We have 100+ heat for half the year. I'll take the cold over that any day.
Not me. I never have to get up an hour earlier in the morning morning to scrape heat off my windshield and to shovel the heat off my driveway.

I never have to get off work and find myself scraping more heat off my windshield and brushing heat off my car before I can go home.

I never worry about sliding on the heat into someone else's car. I never worry about getting stuck in the heat.

I walk straight from my air-conditioned house into my car. Once I close the car door and the air conditioner starts blowing, the heat is no thought at all.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:53 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,268,907 times
Surely you jest. I lived 60 years up north and now I’m enjoying beautiful sunny weather all the time. Not one shred of guilt here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate