Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:20 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times

Advertisements

I bought my retirement home in an HOA community and don’t regret it for a minute. No way in Hell do I want a semi or RV parked in the drive next to me. What irks me is that our HOA majors on the minors while ignoring the major infractions. People can get hung up on the dumbest things like leaving trash cans out for too long but ignoring the boat sitting in the drive for a week.

Oh, and the number of people who complain that they didn’t know the rules before buying is amazing. Why on earth would anyone move into an HOA community unless they were in agreement with all of the requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

Oh, and the number of people who complain that they didn’t know the rules before buying is amazing. Why on earth would anyone move into an HOA community unless they were in agreement with all of the requirements?
I hate HOAs more than probably anyone in the world, and you couldn't hand me a mansion in an HOA community--I'd sell it immediately and buy somewhere else without one.

However, I agree wholeheartedly with this post, and this logic. I really can't feel too sorry for people who sign on the dotted line agreeing to all of it and then think they're not at fault when they run into problems if they aren't abiding by the rules.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:41 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
You think living in a garage is acceptable? In my city it wouldn't take the HOA to deal with that. It is not allowed by ordinance. For a reason. Why not let him stay in the actual house?
Why not? My aunt used to rent out her garage as living space and locked the door that lead into the rest of the house. She made extra money on the side, and someone had a modest and affordable place to live. They own the house, who is to tell her or her husband what they can do? City ordinance? Screw that. Why should the government regulate what I do with my property, provided its not criminal activity like growing or manufacturing guns or keeping kidnapped prisoners.

"Why not let him stay in the actual house." Because its called "leasing out space" not "having uncle Joe over for the holidays." There's a difference between someone living in a finished and furnished garage (or basement) and someone using it as a bedroom but having access to the whole house.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
HOAs keep out rif-raff.
HOAs attract their own special kind of rif-raf.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
hoas attract their own special kind of rif-raf.
😂🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂☝️

Old 01-12-2018, 06:07 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Diane, I'll be frank. I don't trust you enough to give you the power to put a lien on my house because I don't like the same flowers that you do. You act rational now, until when you decide that you like a certain kind of flower and you make up a rule to force everyone else to only have that kind of flower. If they don't agree, you put a lien on their house.

My cousin took my extreme position, too, after his HOA came up with a rule that said no car can be visible from 10pm to 6am. People couldn't even park in their own driveway overnight. What if your family had more than 2 cars? Well, too bad said his HOA. That rule was the last straw. He got the hell out of there soon after.

To me, HOA is like a position of dictatorship waiting for people who don't have anything better to do so they try to bully other people.

Sorry, again I don't trust you enough to give you the power to bully me around in my own home. I have always lived in homes that didn't have HOAs and we all kept our property values just fine. We have always respected our neighbors and their decisions on what color paint to put on their homes and what kind of flowers they put in their front garden.

Amen. All HOA start off with good intentions, and then they morph into Nazis. My property is my property, and, while I understand that some community standards are important (no one wants a neighbor with 6 cars on blocks in his yard, or 4 pit bulls running loose) it gets out of hand sometimes.

This garage door rule is beyond nuts, and I would be suing the HOA for even trying to enforce it.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:15 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I'm all for a good HOA & I've reached the conclusion that the reason we have HOAs is because of the folks who are so dead set against them. Those are the folks who are most likely to not properly maintain the real estate or paint the garage door purple or have junk cars sitting on the front lawn. If you want to live like that, go ahead, but please not in my neighborhood.
The problem here is you don't own the neighborhood. You only own your own property. If someone paints their house purple how does it affect you?

Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
HOAs attract their own special kind of rif-raf.
LOL......you mean people that actually care about how the neighborhood looks? I laugh at the haters who say, "No way in hell would I be in a HOA. I want to paint my house pink and keep my Camaro on my front lawn. I love my above-ground hillbilly pool. And I could care less about my neighbor who flies a Confederate flag! Who cares about high grass and weeds!"

LOLOL

Old 01-12-2018, 09:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
LOL......you mean people that actually care about how the neighborhood looks? I laugh at the haters who say, "No way in hell would I be in a HOA. I want to paint my house pink and keep my Camaro on my front lawn. I love my above-ground hillbilly pool. And I could care less about my neighbor who flies a Confederate flag! Who cares about high grass and weeds!"

LOLOL
Nah, he means the kind that think that if there's not an HOA forcing everyone to "behave" and walk in lock-step that the things you mention above are inevitable. When, in fact, there are innumerable neighborhoods that have no HOA where such never ever happens because the people who live in them are able to police themselves. (Pink or purple houses being the end of the world - or only in REALLY high dollar neighborhoods - notwithstanding.) It's a truly sad view of humanity that people who think that is inevitable with no HOA have.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:38 AM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I like my HOA neighborhood and would buy here again in a second. That being said, I don't find the board to be overly invasive or punitive. We have very reasonable covenants, and those out of compliance are given plenty of time to correct violations. To each, his own, but I've been very satisfied with the way our community is run. As for the linked article about keeping garages open, that's weird, and I don't think it will stand up to a lawsuit, which I'm sure is coming if it hasn't already.
If as the other poster stated, the carport are considered common property and not privately owned (they are not garages, it's apartment-style building converted to condos) with car ports underneath that a few residents put doors on) I don't see how they can sue. They all knew upfront what was common property and what was theirs to alter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate