Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Update:::

My realtor had someone come out to look!! What a mess, mold in cabinets both upper and lower.

My upstairs neighbors had work done in their kitchen, shoddy work, they still don't even get hot water to their kitchen.
Cape Coral is permit crazy so I assume work involving any plumbing would need a permit and inspector would not have signed off on this,if permit was taken out, hell I had to get permit to replace my ac unit.

I can't believe this migrated from upper to lower cabinets, never had any water leaks come down, so is this a slow leak where water/moisture just sat in between floors and sheet rock??

Too many pics to post.

My daughter says when I start the process INSIST on new cabinetry , not sure insurance will agree.

I'm just sick over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 10:47 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

My realtor had someone come out to look!! What a mess, mold in cabinets both upper and lower.

My upstairs neighbors had work done in their kitchen, shoddy work, they still don't even get hot water to their kitchen.
Cape Coral is permit crazy so I assume work involving any plumbing would need a permit and inspector would not have signed off on this,if permit was taken out, hell I had to get permit to replace my ac unit.

I can't believe this migrated from upper to lower cabinets, never had any water leaks come down, so is this a slow leak where water/moisture just sat in between floors and sheet rock??

Too many pics to post.

My daughter says when I start the process INSIST on new cabinetry , not sure insurance will agree.

I'm just sick over this.
Hmmm. That picture didn't look like mold to me, but more like butyl tape. Butyl Tape - Good Sealing Effect and Perfect Waterproof It's thick, gummy, and sticks to everything.

Cabinets are the least of your concern. If the wall is riddled with mold, the cabinets can be pulled before the wall is gutted. They may just need to be cleaned. Things like drywall and insulation definitely have to go.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:23 AM

No it was mold. They are coming Friday, should be there for over two hours to find out where the moisture is coming from.
The company said no worries as new cabinets are part of the process and they will be there when insurance adjuster comes. Yes new cabinets are in order if they have mold in them, this is Florida doesn't take much for mold to regrow.

Since I'm in NC, I' m very pleased my realtor is handling this, makes me look at him in a different light.

My only concern is he is still showing and doesn't think it's a problem to do so until they start the remediation.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:30 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:

What can happen is that water gets into the drywall and just stays there, gradually absorbing into the wall and spreading up and down and sideways until the whole wall is just full, having absorbed water slowly. In this way the moisture could migrate from your upper to your lower cabinets.

I can imagine you are just sick about the whole thing; I would be. I hope your realtor is as helpful as he seems. It's so hard to be miles and miles away when something like this happens.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:44 AM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Good luck and I am following to see how this resolves. I hope you'll keep us updated. I am glad you have a good agent who can handle this for you if you're far away.

Water damage liability is a BIG issue with condos, with multiple floors!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Water damage liability is a BIG issue with condos, with multiple floors!
Amen!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
You have mold all over your house. Also all over your car, your office and out in your yard. It is everywhere.

Only a few kind of mold are toxic and mostly only to certain people with unusual sensitivities. What you need to be worried about is where the water is coming from. Once you know that and eliminate the water source, spray the mold with bleach or a mold killer spray (not both). Be sure to push the ceiling tiles up and spray top and bottom areas back side of the tiles etc. If it comes back, you have not resolved the water problem. You can have someone do it for you if you want to pay for it. You can even have them bring in machines to measure mold levels (be sure they measure mold in non-impacted rooms for a control. There is always some level of mold and how high it is depends on where you live).

Old 04-12-2018, 09:04 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You have mold all over your house. Also all over your car, your office and out in your yard. It is everywhere.

Only a few kind of mold are toxic and mostly only to certain people with unusual sensitivities. What you need to be worried about is where the water is coming from. Once you know that and eliminate the water source, spray the mold with bleach or a mold killer spray (not both). Be sure to push the ceiling tiles up and spray top and bottom areas back side of the tiles etc. If it comes back, you have not resolved the water problem. You can have someone do it for you if you want to pay for it. You can even have them bring in machines to measure mold levels (be sure they measure mold in non-impacted rooms for a control. There is always some level of mold and how high it is depends on where you live).
The OP's issue is more complicated than your input recognizes.
It is a marketing and liability issue at this point.

Quote:
Hi

I have my condo listed for sale. ...
Needless to say I contacted my realtor and told him to pull the listing until I get this fixed.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The OP's issue is more complicated than your input recognizes.
It is a marketing and liability issue at this point.
Absolutely, there is no way to just put a bandaid on this and sell it to someone.

I sent my insurance decs page and I'm covered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate