Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 01:52 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,125,824 times

Advertisements

Most of the houses is my neighborhood are selling quickly and for top dollar. My house was built in 2000. The house is in excellent condition. We do regular maintenance and always have. New roof, new carpets, new water heater, fresh paint in most rooms, hardwoods in excellent condition, neutral white bathrooms. It does have the dreaded dark Cherry kitchen cabinets - but they are beautiful.

On a whim, I requested a Zillow Offer. I did not upload pictures, but there are very old pictures of my house on realtor.com. The offer was 15-18% below market value and they wanted 12% fees! The offer was 10% less than the Zestimate (which is already undervalued - my street is oddly all over the place on values). They claimed they worked with a local realtor to get the competitive sale value. I doubt it.

Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,344,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Most of the houses is my neighborhood are selling quickly and for top dollar. My house was built in 2000. The house is in excellent condition. We do regular maintenance and always have. New roof, new carpets, new water heater, fresh paint in most rooms, hardwoods in excellent condition, neutral white bathrooms. It does have the dreaded dark Cherry kitchen cabinets - but they are beautiful.

On a whim, I requested a Zillow Offer. I did not upload pictures, but there are very old pictures of my house on realtor.com. The offer was 15-18% below market value and they wanted 12% fees! The offer was 10% less than the Zestimate (which is already undervalued - my street is oddly all over the place on values). They claimed they worked with a local realtor to get the competitive sale value. I doubt it.

Go figure.
Try OpenDoor for the heck of it if they are in your area - there is no commitment and they don't even really bug you afterwards. All of my experiences showed them with the best offer every time.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:30 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,125,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Try OpenDoor for the heck of it if they are in your area - there is no commitment and they don't even really bug you afterwards. All of my experiences showed them with the best offer every time.
I may give it a try. I am not a serious seller, but would consider a good offer. We will probably downsize in a couple of years any way.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,880 times
My husband and I have are in the middle of working with Open Door on the selling of our home to them AND buying a home that they have listed for sale. Reading this thread has been very informative, and I appreciate everyone's comments and input.

I have to say I would love to hear if people have experience dealing with the selling of their home AND the buying of a new home through Open Door. We absolutely love the house we found and we put a bid in with them today on it. We also got back our appraisal from what they would offer us for our house: $237,900. We live in Durham, NC , a pretty hot market right now. Our house is over 30 years old and is a three bedroom, two bath with a little over 1600 square feet.

I'm a little concerned about getting badly dinged on the repairs. Our roof is LESS than a year old. We also just had the house exterior repainted and we just had our driveway paved as well. We started touching up paint in the kitchen to freshen it up, and the downstairs bathroom was remodeled about three years ago. How worried should I be about juggling both my buying and selling through them. Their team of inspectors is coming out on Wednesday of next week to look things over.

If this helps to give me a better picture, we owe $107,000 on our current home and would be using the proceeds from the sale of this home to put down a down payment on the home we like through them, which we offered 299,000 for, close to their asking price. Are we crazy? Are we going to get screwed over horribly does it sound like? Again, I appreciate any information

Old 06-27-2019, 07:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,221,144 times
As I put in my post earlier we only got dinged $3k on "improvements" for a new roof (which they did replace). We had carpet that was quite worn, the downstairs WC needed a new floor due to an earlier leak, my fence needed repairs, and all windows and the sliding glass door needed to be replaced (condensation between panes). It is my opinion that their purchase properties all get new paint and new carpet and that's about it. I checked the listing once they put the house up for sale and it appears that they replaced the roof, sliding glass door and paint/carpet. They did not update any hardware or cabinetry so while the paint and carpet were new it still had the circa 1998 look to everything else.

I don't know how the process goes for buying an OD property but I would ensure that a thorough inspection is done. With respect to my old house, carpet and paint don't matter much but as a buyer the windows would concern me. Ensure that whatever your inspector finds is either fixed or deducted from your purchase price.

If OD is offering you $238k then your house is probably going to sell somewhere in the $250k range. If I may ask, why would you be looking at a $299k house? Seems like a lateral move to me and all the fees you're paying to buy/sell, move, etc could go into upgrading your current house.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,880 times
Thanks for that info. That is helpful, and good to see someone else from the Triangle responding. The house we are looking at has more square footage (we've outgrown this house we feel), has a fenced in yard, which we don't have, and is twenty years newer than the home we are currently in and have had for fifteen years. For us it's an upgrade to a newer, bigger home.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:29 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZWinNC View Post
Thanks for that info. That is helpful, and good to see someone else from the Triangle responding. The house we are looking at has more square footage (we've outgrown this house we feel), has a fenced in yard, which we don't have, and is twenty years newer than the home we are currently in and have had for fifteen years. For us it's an upgrade to a newer, bigger home.
If it's the one on Snyder Street in Auburn Village...

Just know that they sold that exact same layout on that exact same street a year ago for under $260k. I know because I had a buyer under contract with them on that house who backed out. It didn't appraise and they wouldn't budge on price (it later sold for 3k less than we were under contract for; it appraised for 2k less than we were under contract for)

If it's the one in Ravenstone....that one looks nice!

If it's neither of those....you've stumped me. haha

Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
My husband and I have are in the middle of working with Open Door on the selling of our home to them AND buying a home that they have listed for sale. Reading this thread has been very informative, and I appreciate everyone's comments and input.

I have to say I would love to hear if people have experience dealing with the selling of their home AND the buying of a new home through Open Door. We absolutely love the house we found and we put a bid in with them today on it. We also got back our appraisal from what they would offer us for our house: $237,900. We live in Durham, NC , a pretty hot market right now. Our house is over 30 years old and is a three bedroom, two bath with a little over 1600 square feet.

I'm a little concerned about getting badly dinged on the repairs. Our roof is LESS than a year old. We also just had the house exterior repainted and we just had our driveway paved as well. We started touching up paint in the kitchen to freshen it up, and the downstairs bathroom was remodeled about three years ago. How worried should I be about juggling both my buying and selling through them. Their team of inspectors is coming out on Wednesday of next week to look things over.

If this helps to give me a better picture, we owe $107,000 on our current home and would be using the proceeds from the sale of this home to put down a down payment on the home we like through them, which we offered 299,000 for, close to their asking price. Are we crazy? Are we going to get screwed over horribly does it sound like? Again, I appreciate any information
what you need to be worried about is:

1. is the net they'll pay you a reasonable % of the home's value?
2. Is the house they're selling worth what they are asking for it?*
3. How are you going to inspect the home and manage the closing process?

these 3 things are probably a 3-5X financial and risk issue than "what will the repair charges be?"

btw, has OD already had you sign a Working with Agents Brochure? If you've had any communication with someone who identified themselves as an agent, they should have given you one for your home. And they certainly should have supplied one when you indicated any interest in the home you might buy.

*because we/you haven't touched on who is representing you in the purchase. They have representation. Are you allowed to pay them 3% less than the asking price, since you don't have an agent?

Old 06-27-2019, 07:43 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:

Can’t speak to pricing, but definitely get the house you’re buying inspected. In my experience, they leave lots of stuff that is of consequence for you down the road and concentrate on finishes.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:50 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Can’t speak to pricing, but definitely get the house you’re buying inspected. In my experience, they leave lots of stuff that is of consequence for you down the road and concentrate on finishes.
That "concentration on finishes" certainly should be a red flag, considering the quality of finishes I have seen in houses I have viewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate