Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 07:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
to use my market, where Opendoor has been a pretty good while (2nd Q 18) ...

10% haven't had an agent. These Buyers paid 97% of list, so much of OD's savings went away. Further, these homes sat 2 weeks longer, so they essentially had to wait Buyers out.

61% of their homes have sold within (their expected?) 30 days and at an average 99.5% of list. But since so many involved buyer's agents, there went ~2.5% of their profit margin.

39% have taken over 30 days, and they sold for 95% of list price, and the BA fee, and the carrying costs.

they are advertising an average fee locally of 7%.

so 7% - [(61% x 3% discount) + (39% x 7.5% discount)] (I think I'm doing this right, hey it's Monday)

7% - 4.8% = 2.2%, average of 41 DOM/70 day close = 5.1 turns x 2.2% = 11.3% - and that considers $0 cost to prep and carry the house.
I am probably missing something and as you or someone said - as the SELLER all I cared about was that I got a good price with less hassle.

But, what I don't see is how much your equations account for whatever markup on the resale list price vs paid price. Granted, they pitch that they are only after the "fee", but in my case there was some amount of "profit" in the resale list price.

Also - a side note - whoever was figuring the holding costs for my place with 5% property tax - thankfully in AZ most counties have a property tax of just over 1%.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 09:58 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
I am probably missing something and as you or someone said - as the SELLER all I cared about was that I got a good price with less hassle.

But, what I don't see is how much your equations account for whatever markup on the resale list price vs paid price. Granted, they pitch that they are only after the "fee", but in my case there was some amount of "profit" in the resale list price.

Also - a side note - whoever was figuring the holding costs for my place with 5% property tax - thankfully in AZ most counties have a property tax of just over 1%.....
Indeed, to a Seller today the only thing that matters is their personal net proceeds ... of course, that's all that should ever matter.

The point that I and others are making - "long term" it does not appear they can make the kind of money necessary to satisfy their funding resources.

To account for the difference between their REAL purchase price (net after fee) and their sales price (before any compensation) would require - in my case above - looking at all 1,500 homes they've sold an estimating their net purchase (because when they "pay" $200K but charge 10%, it shows at 200K, not at 180).

Old 11-03-2019, 07:30 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Honestly surprised this is the first time hearing about something like this....

https://www.azfamily.com/news/slides...d76cb0220.html

Old 11-03-2019, 07:48 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Honestly surprised this is the first time hearing about something like this....

https://www.azfamily.com/news/slides...d76cb0220.html

One of my greatest concerns when showing OpenDoor properties is the unrestricted access they allow to anyone with a phone.
I'm always alert to surprises, and always concerned about being blamed for something someone else does.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:28 AM

75 posts, read 169,944 times
One question when it comes to SELLING my current property to OpenDoor, can you back out AFTER signing the Offer to Purchase with them?

What are steps, actions, consequences?

Old 01-30-2020, 10:34 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
One question when it comes to SELLING my current property to OpenDoor, can you back out AFTER signing the Offer to Purchase with them?

What are steps, actions, consequences?
In a word, yes. At least you could last summer, and I know that OfferPad, at least, didn't offer such a guarantee or easy withdrawal (not sure about the other ones like Knock or Zillow).

In my feedback to OD, I mentioned that was why we decided to proceed with them instead of OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate