Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 10:00 PM

2,881 posts, read 2,088,087 times

Advertisements

Several updates. We closed on the land in March. Done deal, pretty happy with our 10 acres. I thought hard and long about the construction. I’d like to build with insulated concrete forms. The tornado that hit Beauregard AL is only about 25 miles from our home site and an ICF home will us better odds against one. I’ve lived through one tornado in my life and if I can tilt the odds in my favor, so be it.

I’m still happily working. I’m about 16 months past my original retirement date and I’m ok with that. We’ve already saved back the amount set aside for the land. That’ll go for all the improvements necessary to start the build...and then some.

Now, we just work, plan vacations and look for other challenges. I’ve decided to make another run at long distance cycling. By Nov 2020, I’ll attempt 750 miles cycling in less than 3.75 days. On average, that’s 200 a day for three days and 150 on the last day. But, it doesn’t work that way. The organizers like to front-end load the first day and then that makes the rest easier. On the event I’ll ride, day 1 is 275 miles. It’ll be fun they say. Not bad for someone in their 60’s....if I succeed. Preparing physically for the will take some time. The mental aspect is tougher than the physical aspect but I’m ok there. I’ve done two of these before and can handle that aspect.

Life goes on and we’re so blessed. I hope you all are also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate