Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:29 AM

23 posts, read 168,528 times

Advertisements

We found a house that is listed at 295, it's in pretty good shape except for needing new roof, new windows and new outside doors plus a couple of other little things. The comps in the area are selling for 250.
We want to offer cash with a quick settlement date. We are planning on doing an inspection, but not asking for repairs. We want to reflect that in the offer price and do the repairs ourself. I keep seeing that the market is going to continue to go down. What would you offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagarden View Post
We found a house that is listed at 295, it's in pretty good shape except for needing new roof, new windows and new outside doors plus a couple of other little things. The comps in the area are selling for 250.
We want to offer cash with a quick settlement date. We are planning on doing an inspection, but not asking for repairs. We want to reflect that in the offer price and do the repairs ourself. I keep seeing that the market is going to continue to go down. What would you offer?
I would look at the local comps to establish a fair value of what the home would be worth if there were no repairs needed. Once you have established this, I would consult at least two general contractors for repair estimates and base my offer on these numbers. This will allow you to negotiate with some comfort, and position you with a method of establishing why you are willing to purchase at the reduced price.

The inspection is a good idea, as this will allow you to look at possible hidden repairs that you may not have found yourself, but a professional has, and will lend further credibility to your offer price.

Good luck,
Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,270,461 times
Are the comps really fair comps? Why does this home command a higher price? Larger? Better condition? Location? (ie is it a corner lot or col-du-sac? Close to community pool or elementry school?)

Need more info.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:38 AM

The people actually over improved for the area. The spent a lot on remodling the kitchen and are trying to recoupe all the money they spent.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,067,439 times
What zip code?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagarden View Post
The people actually over improved for the area. The spent a lot on remodling the kitchen and are trying to recoupe all the money they spent.
Well a nice kitchen should be worth something. How much $ worth of improving did they do? Figure offer them what the comps (the real comps) are selling for and then add X% of the value of the kitchen improvements.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:07 PM

they put in a high tech kitchen probably around 30k
do you then subtract all the money that it will cost to repair roof, new window probably around 20 of them, and doors?
The window look original, house built in 70s

Old 04-09-2008, 02:10 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,959 times
Just commenting on the cash thing...to me, I could care less if someone is paying cash or getting a mortgage...I get my money/equity either way. So, when you make that offer just know that they may not care....

Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 PM

I honestly wouldn't care if it was cash or financed either. My end is the same either way.

Ok I'd say if it's a $30k cool kitchen then offer them half that for it. Every house comes with a kitchen that's worth $10-15k so if they ripped out their old kitchen and then spent $30k on it then it's worth the difference.

As for the repairs I'd say look at the state of disrepair of the comps. Are the homes that sold for $250k about the same as what you're looking at? Needed roofs fixed and stuff like that. I mean if another house down the street sold for $250k and the windows were the same age and condition then fine. But if they were worse off then you have to consider that.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM

I know you say that the cash thing doesn't make a difference, but it does. The seller doesn't have to worry that I won't be approved for a mortgage and the sale fall through. Guidelines now are much stricter and just because you have a preapproval letter doesn't mean you will actually qualify. Also, I can close within a week. I don't have to wait for the mortage process which can mean the seller getting out of their house a couple months sooner. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate