Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 10:26 AM

354 posts, read 775,585 times

Advertisements

I am going to get my house appraised soon as part of a HELOC approval (and also to get PMI removed).

In my area, there is very little real estate activity - very few sales in the last year, and very few houses for sale. However, on my street, there were 2 "fixer-uppers" sold in the last few months, that went for around half of normal market value. There is also a 3rd one, across the street from me, which is currently on the market for around half market value. These houses all needed to be gut renovated, etc.

Does the appraiser generally know not to count these as comps? How do they know this? I want to make sure my properly value hasn't plummeted because of these.

Any insight into this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

h
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 10:41 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
They will do their best to make comparisons to other sales that are as similar as possible to yours in size and condition.

Where they do have to use homes that are different or expand their area of comparison, they will make adjustments for those differences based on the value of the differences in your market.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:58 AM

Thanks Diana. How do they know what the condition was of the home at the time of the sale? Is there some sort of indicator on MLS, etc that show it was sold in a certain condition?

Old 11-30-2018, 11:16 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Sometimes the description in the public remarks will tip them off but often it is the photos that tell the tale.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:26 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
In my area (DC/VA Burbs'), we bought our house as a fixer-upper at the end of 2015. In comparison to the other homes around me, we got a very steep discount on price. To protect them from our transaction, I had the county come and take a look at the house and they agreed our price was not a proper reflection of true market price.

In the county records, they switched our recorded transaction from "Market Sale" to "Changes After Sale". What that changed did, was to communicate to the appraisal community when doing a home in our area and seeing my transaction was recent, to not use it as a market sale comp for their evaluation. They understood that "Changes After Sale" meant "price reflective of condition of home", and could figure from there that it must've been a fixer-upper due to the low price in comparison to the others around it, and therefore not considering it in their math.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:33 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
You are saying that those houses sold and are listed for "half of market value", but what you're not realizing is that in their condition, they ARE market value. An appraiser will look at those as sales as they are in your immediate neighborhood and then make adjustments based on condition and updates, or lack there of.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
Thanks Diana. How do they know what the condition was of the home at the time of the sale? Is there some sort of indicator on MLS, etc that show it was sold in a certain condition?

There may be (hopefully will be) photos in the MLS that indicate general condition of properties at that time, and appraisers will often drive by to look too.

Around here.. they won't usually use bank owned properties as comps at all, unless they are comparing to other bank owned properties.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:41 AM

Interesting information here. I will hopefully be able to ask the appraiser about this at some point before he completes the report. It seems like something that could be worthy of appeal if they count these as "normal" sales. These houses were not really in liveable condition at the time of sale. The one that is currently listed doesn't even have utilities connected to it right now. It has been vacant for years. I guess that's a whole different issue...how that factors in to my appraisal.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:49 AM

Appraisers look at homes for a living. They get the issues you're concerned about. They are pretty good at making comparisons and adjustments between them.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:14 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I will hopefully be able to ask the appraiser about this at some point before he completes the report.
I would suggest that you discuss this issue with the appraiser when he/she calls to make the appointment so they can research for the correct comps. I can't count the times I've gone out to appraise what public record says is a 1,500 sf house only to find that it's been scraped and is now a 3,000 sf house. I've got all the wrong comps and I have to come back to shoot the correct ones. I always think, "Ya know, you could have mentioned this when I called you". BTW, we are REQUIRED to photograph every comp in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate