Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 09:36 AM

595 posts, read 1,558,723 times

Advertisements

I think many like this modern look, but builders are still building them BIG to maximize the profits. I wonder if some are being purchased because there are no other options if one wants a house that looks modern both with the exterior and interior. Those 2 that I posted were built upon land that previously had older houses that was demolished for the new builds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I see some custom houses in an expensive town in Central Oregon being built as the modern square boxes with flat roofs. They are in expensive neighborhoods so I wouldn't call them a Mc Anything. The McMansions are big houses with fancy finish over low end construction. These appear to be well built.

The thing that I see when I look at them is that they will become dated very quickly. That's a lot of money to put into something that will go out of style soon.

They look like small commercial buildings. Most of them would be fine for a doctor's office or a stock brokerage, or fitted into a shopping mall.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
I love modern design homes. I wish I can convert my house into one.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:40 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
You can build a snowman or build a sledding ramp on a flat roof. ... as some kids with parents did on our condo's roof.
No thanks.

I have been a homeowner since 1983 and I would never buy a home with a flat roof.

Properly maintaining a home is challenging enough without going out looking for a home with a trouble prone $$$$ design like a flat roof.

https://wernerroofing.com/blog/6-mos...fing-problems/

Quote:
Whether you own a commercial building, or your home just happens to have a unique flat roof, you know that it often requires more work than other standard types of roofs. While it may have been simpler to build, it requires a lot of maintenance and inspections to keep it up and make sure that everything is functioning as it should. The hard part about a flat roof is knowing whether you need to get it replaced, or if you just need to do a few minor repairs. We’ve put together a list of the top 6 most common problems that occur in flat roofs, and how best to deal with these issues depending on their severity:

Old 02-08-2019, 12:46 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Best way to deal with a flat roof is to avoid it. Go around to large commercial buildings during a real heavy rain (Home Depot, grocery stores, Wal mart, etc.) and I guarantee you that if you visit five such buildings you will see at least two with plastic buckets catching drips from roof leaks.

Do not sign up to live in something like this unless you live in a true desert.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:50 PM

199 posts, read 158,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
I for one would much prefer a McRowhome in the city, a 50's style McCapeCod, or even a 80's era McSplitEntry over one of those cookie cutter McMansions.
Totally agree. My issue with McMansions is that they often try to cram conflicting design elements into one house. I know the term is based on their size, not their style, but I definitely prefer a more cohesive design to what you usually see with McMansions.

I'm with others who have passed on the flat roof, but I will say that the McModern is something I'm seeing more lately in Oregon, though the McCraftsman is still in the lead.

Personally, I like a neighborhood with older homes just because I couldn't live on a lot under 5,000 square feet and I don't want my house to look exactly like my neighbors' houses, so a Mc-anything is going to turn me off.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:07 PM

https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Fort-Lee/1.../home/35734105

This is what I have also been noticing my area. They would break down a single family home and build a duplex. Gives the smaller space that some may want, with the profit margins the same for the builder when both are sold.

They also built this house recently not far from me - https://www.google.com/maps/place/25...!4d-73.9743481

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...37907161_zpid/

Old 02-08-2019, 01:11 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Nothing practical about flat roofs if you live where it snows.
The roofs in these houses are typically engineered for the snow load so structurally no issue (similar to commercial buildings). But if you don't regularly maintain the roof drains you'll have a mess.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Honestly, I don't see a difference between a McModern and a McMansion. Moderns just have flatter and boxier designs (didn't this style originate in the 60's, though?).

I'm a millennial though and I could go either McModern or McMansion.

I also think articles like this are silly because the oldest millennial's are in their mid-30s? The only reason why I'd want a SF house that's 3500+ SF is if I have 3-4 kids who were teenagers, but that wouldn't even happen until I'm in my late 40's at the earliest, so whenever I see articles wondering why millenials aren't buying bigger houses....that's the main reason why. For most younger couples, a townhouse or a condo will suit just fine for now.

Pretty soon, we'll see articles being like 'Why are generation Z not buying homes?"....cause...they're 22 at the oldest?

The Eichler Mid Century Modern stuff started right after WW II so late-1940s. The difference is those houses were typically quite small. 1,500 square feet and lots of examples smaller than that.

I'd love to own a MCM house built with 2019 technology so the thermal envelope is efficient and 1500 square feet is plenty since I don't have children where I'd want to stash them out of sight most of the time. I'd have a huge battle over furniture since my girlfriend would want to use period-appropriate stuff that is incredibly uncomfortable. I'd at least have to hold out for bringing in one of my Ekornes Stressless chairs.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:07 PM

I'm starting to like some of these modern homes the more I google them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate