Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:26 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Yeah we only have a few properties left in that market, most commercial. Realtors really want you to make offer immediately and do your own leg work. We found that newer agents were willing to be more candid and go the extra mile. Lots of old timers resting on their laurels and connections without any hustle. It's not a difficult market to make money in and the laziness shows. Agents do really think that once they sell to you you are theirs for life. Our team got a rude awakening.
Interesting- I've found the opposite. I haven't bought/sold often but when I was in NJ I used the agent I worked with to buy my house in 1997 when I sold it in 2003 and relocated. When DH and I downsized in 2015, we used the same agent we worked with when we bought the house. Both were mature women who had been through ups and downs and cycles and were in it for the long haul. While I'm sure that "seasoned" realtors can become complacent and some of the newer ones may work harder to please, I gravitate towards the experienced ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 08:19 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Interesting- I've found the opposite. I haven't bought/sold often but when I was in NJ I used the agent I worked with to buy my house in 1997 when I sold it in 2003 and relocated. When DH and I downsized in 2015, we used the same agent we worked with when we bought the house. Both were mature women who had been through ups and downs and cycles and were in it for the long haul. While I'm sure that "seasoned" realtors can become complacent and some of the newer ones may work harder to please, I gravitate towards the experienced ones.
I have one older woman who has been in her market for ages that I use repeatedly. Her market is rural and difficult due to a lack of transience... homes are owned by the same people for generations. In that case it is wise to have an insider who can guide you. All of our other investments are in urban or suburban highly dense markets where competition is fierce. We have either not used an agent or interview several and choose the best for our needs.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:55 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Jees, we must be the dream client. We find our homes on Zillow and ask our realtor to negotiate and close. We've bought 2 homes in the past 7 years and our realtors showed us 0 homes lol.
Same here. We searched for homes online, as we already knew where we wanted to buy. We did much of the initial work, so there was no traditional driving around, looking about houses. we simply saw what we liked online and called our realtor to set up an appointment. where we really needed him was for everything after - i.e. negotiations, handling our expectations, the buying process, etc. he was also simultaneously selling our home. I leaned on him heavily for that.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
We have a lot of buyer moving to my area of New York City, generally first timers. They tend to require the most ime. They don't understand how most homes outside of the town centers are generally on septic systems, well water, oil heat being typical and other questions about the process & procedure, or what's normal to ask for following a building inspection & how much to offer on a home. Sometimes they really try to get me to answer questions that are I'm not allowed to answer per state law & fair housing. Generally speaking, I expect them to be late about half of the time. They do buy eventually,and send their friends over.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Jees, we must be the dream client. We find our homes on Zillow and ask our realtor to negotiate and close. We've bought 2 homes in the past 7 years and our realtors showed us 0 homes lol.
You made offers sight unseen? Were you looking out of town?

Old 02-28-2019, 04:16 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Same here. We searched for homes online, as we already knew where we wanted to buy. We did much of the initial work, so there was no traditional driving around, looking about houses. we simply saw what we liked online and called our realtor to set up an appointment. where we really needed him was for everything after - i.e. negotiations, handling our expectations, the buying process, etc. he was also simultaneously selling our home. I leaned on him heavily for that.
This is the way it works now.

Instead of limited info available, no pics, no mapping functions to eliminate backing up to major roads, etc ... times when we all had to physically see a large number of homes in person, the Internet has revolutionized the presentation and availability of information.

But the agents are still responsible for that information. Zillow doesn't have accurate info on the home or photos without agents. Realtor.com, various brokerage websites, etc - none of them would be any good without the agents spending money. Zillow is free to you, but can do that because like 80% of their revenue comes from real estate agents.

It's just a change for the good in the real estate industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate