Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real Estate: mortgage, escrow account, Home Owners Insurance, buyer, credit cards.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Maybe for YOU personally renting is better but not for everyone. I've been a landlord myself. Have many a good friend that own rental properties. Some have owned them long enough that they are paid for and most of the money coming in from rent is free and clear profit. Your landlord happened to buy a rental home in an area that was and is still overbuilt and homes for sale are a dime a dozen. Many renters in your area have been kicked out of their rentals because the "owner" was foreclosed on. Something that very well could happen to you IF the owner decides to skip out on the mortgage. Or when the market in your area turns he could then put it up for sale and the buyer want it as their personal property. All this moving can and does add up. We personally do not like to move and are very happy w/ our home and location. No need to sell but it wouldn't matter anyway as I'm not in an overbuilt area w/ houses flooding the market.

Renting for ME and MY family is NOT the better option. If your a financial expert then you might realize for many of us that buying and owning our homes is the BETTER financial decision to make and not renting. Even in this "day and age" there are plenty of people out there in the same boat as we are where owning/buying IS the best option over renting.
My investment advisor is worth $11M from the latest Forbes article and sold his house 3 years ago, still waiting on the sidelines. He rents two homes in CT and FL.

Makes you think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
All things paid to the OWNER of said property by the RENTER in their monthly RENT. At the end of the day when the owner has paid off the house he is still going to collect the same amount in rent and RAISE the rent accordingly over time. There is not a owner of rental property out there that does not include ALL expenses of owning a rental property in the rent charged.
The hypothesis assumes that landlords all have an equal cost basis. The landlord purchasing their property 20 years ago has a tiny mortgage and thus much more room to negotiate down rent prices. The sucker buying the home 2 years ago can't compete. He/she either gets foreclosed on, makes up the difference out of pocket hoping for a rebound, or sells the house for a possible loss.

As the economy falters, families will consolidate just like our European counterparts to reduce costs, driving housing demand further downward. Mr. Toll from TB had a similar theory, but mistakenly used it to justify inflated home prices.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
View...your posts are levelheaded and make sense. Moderator cut: personal attacks

Also, my landlord is worth millions, I know him personally, he is not about to foreclose or throw us out! That is why each individual should examine his family's situation. And I reiterate that BUYING IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. Read my post, I clearly state that according to an individual's situation, RENTING is sometimes best.

Moderator cut: personal, off topic

Last edited by Marka; 04-19-2008 at 03:02 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 06:45 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I really don't see this as either/or - we all have different circumstances and preferences, so there is no right or wrong if someone chooses to rent vs. buy. We all do what we feel is best for our own particular situation.

As I have said before, I am a person who enjoys the feeling of owning my house for various reasons. But I know plenty of people who prefer to rent for their own reasons. As long as we are all doing what we CHOOSE, and feel good about it, then it's the right thing to do, as individuals.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 AM

523 posts, read 1,417,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
My investment advisor is worth $11M from the latest Forbes article and sold his house 3 years ago, still waiting on the sidelines. He rents two homes in CT and FL.

Makes you think...
Another EuroPac client perhaps?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Depends on how much he was able to save renting versus paying the mortgage, taxes, insurance, HOA fees, upkeep and repairs. Could be a lot, could be a little, could be break even.
You do realise when someone rents a home, that the rent has to be enough for the landlord to pay the taxes, insurance, upkeep and repairs dont you?

The landlord takes your rent, pays the taxes, insurance, upkeep, mortgage, and pockets the difference..

Anotherwords, you saved $0 by renting..

Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Oh, I know plenty of owners out there who are not including all expenses to the renter, my landlord does not make money on the deal we have. He just cannot sell right now for some reason or another.
So don't make generalizations, momof2...
People have different opinions and different ways of life...some of us PREFER to rent and NO we are not stupid for doing so!!
I work in the financial field and have been doing so for the last 13 years...I should know what is best for MY family.
Renting is many times better than buying especially in this day and age
Then your landlord isnt really a landlord.

Landlords live by making profits on the spread.. If your landlord isnt making money, then he's a poor investor.. not a landlord.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You do realise when someone rents a home, that the rent has to be enough for the landlord to pay the taxes, insurance, upkeep and repairs dont you?
As others have pointed out, this ignores the fact that there is more than one possible rental in any given area. Thus the costs you list above have to be balanced with the rents that other landlords charge. In many areas, this means that landlords are losing money each month on their properties.

But even if they're not, many rental properties were purchased before the RE bubble hit. In those cases, the total cost for the landlord is going to be below what you could currently buy the house for.

Quote:
The landlord takes your rent, pays the taxes, insurance, upkeep, mortgage, and pockets the difference..

Anotherwords, you saved $0 by renting..
Again, this ignores the fact that in many areas of the country, home prices went up way faster than rents. Until that anomaly corrects itself, you can save money renting in those places.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_1979 View Post
Another EuroPac client perhaps?
Yessir, I am.

Did you catch his Wall St. Unspun radio show last night? Gee, I wonder who whizzed in his cheerios?

You know you're investing with the right guy/gal when they are laughed at by the talking heads on Fox/CNBC/Bloomberg/etc. This is especially true when they refer to you as anti-American, an anarchist libertarian or otherwise.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
As others have pointed out, this ignores the fact that there is more than one possible rental in any given area. Thus the costs you list above have to be balanced with the rents that other landlords charge. In many areas, this means that landlords are losing money each month on their properties.

But even if they're not, many rental properties were purchased before the RE bubble hit. In those cases, the total cost for the landlord is going to be below what you could currently buy the house for.

Again, this ignores the fact that in many areas of the country, home prices went up way faster than rents. Until that anomaly corrects itself, you can save money renting in those places.
If landlords are losing money on their properties, then they are very poor at negoating the properties and over paid.

As for the prices of properties going up faster then rent, what does that have to do with a landlord? Landlords bought properties 10 years ago, at their current market. If these new inflated prices of properties are more then the market will bear for rent, then the landlords did a very poor job at buying the properties at a price the rental rates would not bear to cover the expenses..

That makes them very poor investors, not landlords, because landlords are in this to make money, not lose, when properties are over inflated to "buy".. then true landlords/property investors, do not buy, they wait until the market rents will cover the expenses..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate