Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times

Advertisements

I prefer open concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
My first house was built in the late'50s, and the tiny kitchen was hidden from the living room. Great most of the time, but inconvenient for the two or three parties we gave each year. I

House 2 was built in 2005, and the kitchen, dining, and living rooms were one big space. The mess in the kitchen was visible from the front door, but I could see the T.V. while prepping food. And since people congregate around the kitchen, the open concept was nice for dinner parties. Larger parties (more than a dozen or so people) had to be held outside because the house was too small for a big crowd.

House 3 is the best yet. Built in the '70s, the bigger kitchen is hidden from the living room. It even has a T.V. room separate from the living room.

All three houses had big windows and lots of light. I much prefer the defined and separated rooms.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:37 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
My house is 62 years old and the kitchen and living room are separated by only a half-wall. Essentially, it's one continuous space and I like it. I can be in the living room and be fully aware, by sight, sound and scent, what's going on with what I'm cooking. This has saved many a meal from getting burned. Also, when I'm in the kitchen cooking, I can be watching or listening to what's on my monitor and speakers.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:43 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
First house, 1911, didn't really start out with a kitchen or dining room, I think it originally started out with a cook house out by the bath house in the back yard, but a lean to kitchen/dining addition was added to the back of it before we moved in. It didn't have closets or hallways, so I don't think it's that surprising that house didn't have much of a kitchen design either.

Second house is a 1974, that one is pretty sweet. There's three big shoji (wood framed Japanese paper type) doors between the kitchen with small dining area and the living room. Either open them and have the dining room and the living room one big space with the kitchen off to the side of the dining room, or close them and it's two separate spaces. Visually, anyway, the shoji doors don't block much sound.

The current house is a 1952. At one point, there were doors that could shut the kitchen off entirely from the rest of the house. We removed the doors, but the doorways are still there. It's actually not too bad having the living room somewhat separate from the kitchen area. There's a small dining space in the kitchen which is a good sized kitchen. One side has an eating counter, although we don't use it for that much. It's a good house for living in, not such a good house for entertaining since there's no place for a group of more than six or maybe seven folks to gather.

If or when we build the next house, the kitchen and dining room will be pretty much open to each other, although there will be a higher counter or short half wall between the two so there will be some visual blockage of messy kitchen counter tops. The living room will be nearby but sort of separated somewhat from the kitchen and dining area. With a separate library or den off to the side so folks will have a quiet space if they want. A portion of the living room will be tall and lofty, but that will be so the windows overlooking the ocean will also be able to show the sky as well as the ocean. The rest of it will be sized for people and not giants - don't need to feel like a bug on a plate in our own house.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:49 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Quote:
But now, experts say, people are starting to openly yearn for walls.
What experts? A real estate agent isn't even close to an expert.

The wife who despises her husband for relaxing while she cooks? That's a marriage problem that a single conversation could fix, walls will only mask the issue for a moment.

The people who can't keep their homes clean? Tip, put your dishes in the dishwasher when you are done with them, empty it when it's done running. "Problem" solved.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:20 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Anyone notice that as the walls were coming down, a new one sprung up between the toilet and the rest of the bathroom?

People still wanted their "me" time!

Old 03-16-2019, 05:37 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
"Be careful. New Englanders always liked small, little windows, dark rooms"

That is what we could afford to buy and afford to heat. Along the coast and on mountainsides there are homes with giant triangular thermo-pane windows. These people are rich and from away. Most Mainers cannot afford the resultant heat bill or the periodic replacement of the thermo-pane windows that fill up with condensation and become opaque.

They do have lots of ambient light though.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:05 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I did a thread on this years ago and now the chickens are coming home to roast. I've always HATED open concept homes!
I completely agree. My home is not an open concept home. It was built in 1940, during a time when it was thought rude to expose guests to your kitchen. I have a separate dining room, living room and den.

I understand the reaction against a lot of small rooms with doors between them. I have been in houses like that. But totally open concept is an overreaction. It can be nice sometimes to have some separation among rooms with different functions.

Open concept became one of those ideas that people mindlessly mouth without really understanding it, liking it because it was in fashion and you were supposed to like it.

People advised me to renovate my house to remove walls and open it up, and I declined. I think I made the right decision.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:12 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Ever notice that Drew never shows buyers a home that Jonathan can't take down at least one wall?

Old 03-16-2019, 07:25 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Good thing there are all kinds of designs for all kinds of people. No need to come to blows, folks.

I think for young marrieds with children, the open concept is great. The children get looked after while Mom is in the kitchen, and everyone works together to do the meals, etc.

Later on in life we want the mess contained somewhere when we have our parties, so we can relax after dinner without having the dishes on our minds. Also we want the kids with their noisy friends out of our "relax" spaces. So a few walls are in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate