Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 AM

995 posts, read 3,929,159 times

Advertisements

Do you want to know DOM, original listing price or pending sales?

Here's a trick that may help potential buyers. But you need to plan ahead. If you have a very good agent, then you probably don't need this. But by profession, I like to find these information myself.

By default, realtor.com or any public website searches only active listings.
It doesn't show any pending sales, DOM or original listing price.

If you want these, here's what you can do.

1. Set up an account at realtor.com and specify a search criteria.
2. Receive RSS feed. The feed doesn't generate previous listings. You will only get feed for new listings. This is why you need to plan ahead.
3. When house hunting, if you find a house that interests you, check the house against your RSS feeds. You can find out when the house was listed (be cautious as it could be relisting) and the original listing price. If it's not in your data, then you can conclude that it was listed before the RSS feeds.

Here's a little game that I play myself or with my wife. It's just like SOLD OR NOT SOLD that Jay Leno played in his show.

I have 250 listings in my RSS feeds starting from 1/15/2008. I guess whether each listing is sold or not by looking at the price/address/sqft/bed/bath. When I click the link, if I can see the realtor.com listing, it means it's not sold yet. Otherwise, it's no longer listing. It can either mean sold or delisted. I'm now pretty good at this game.

Surprisingly enough, many of these new listings are sold. And this is S. Florida, arguably the coldest market. So there are some activities. If you are selling and you think there's no activity, then it's because of survivor bias. Specifically, you don't see the sold properties. You are comparing your property with other UNSOLD properties.

I think this is a good and fun exercise for the buyers with many strategic implications. If you don't know how it can be useful, ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 12:24 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,792 times
Do they have ziprealty.com in your area? If they do, you can sign up for an account, and it'll show all this information for the houses you are tracking without as much effort.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:44 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,230 times
zip realty gives out mls information as to when the house was listed, etc?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Do they have ziprealty.com in your area? If they do, you can sign up for an account, and it'll show all this information for the houses you are tracking without as much effort.
Thanks for the information. I should have known the website. I like it. It shows DOM and listed date.

But how do I search for pending sales?

Last edited by acegolfer; 04-13-2008 at 08:31 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 01:14 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,982,280 times
We have a local realtor that gives all this info on their site. It tells the days on the market and the price changes. We also have a site that tells the status of the listing.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,319,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Do you want to know DOM, original listing price or pending sales?

Here's a trick that may help potential buyers. But you need to plan ahead. If you have a very good agent, then you probably don't need this. But by profession, I like to find these information myself.

By default, realtor.com or any public website searches only active listings.
It doesn't show any pending sales, DOM or original listing price.

If you want these, here's what you can do.

1. Set up an account at realtor.com and specify a search criteria.
2. Receive RSS feed. The feed doesn't generate previous listings. You will only get feed for new listings. This is why you need to plan ahead.
3. When house hunting, if you find a house that interests you, check the house against your RSS feeds. You can find out when the house was listed (be cautious as it could be relisting) and the original listing price. If it's not in your data, then you can conclude that it was listed before the RSS feeds.

Here's a little game that I play myself or with my wife. It's just like SOLD OR NOT SOLD that Jay Leno played in his show.

I have 250 listings in my RSS feeds starting from 1/15/2008. I guess whether each listing is sold or not by looking at the price/address/sqft/bed/bath. When I click the link, if I can see the realtor.com listing, it means it's not sold yet. Otherwise, it's no longer listing. It can either mean sold or delisted. I'm now pretty good at this game.

Surprisingly enough, many of these new listings are sold. And this is S. Florida, arguably the coldest market. So there are some activities. If you are selling and you think there's no activity, then it's because of survivor bias. Specifically, you don't see the sold properties. You are comparing your property with other UNSOLD properties.

I think this is a good and fun exercise for the buyers with many strategic implications. If you don't know how it can be useful, ask me.
I have several clients set up on our local MLS "Listing Cart" which updates the listings nightly - not just showing new listings, but also showing price changes, status changes, and changes to the remarks section of existing listings. I get really positive feedback from my clients because it helps them easily keep up with our current market.

One negative, though, some clients have mistakenly thought that when a listing would appear with the comment "This listing is no longer available" that the home was under contract. However, many times the listing had either expired or was withdrawn. Sometimes even newer listings are withdrawn. Owners who don't really have to sell get quickly discouraged in a slow market. If they don't get (m)any showings at their ideal price, they just take the home off "until the market improves".

So just a caution - if the listing doesn't show up anymore on Realtor.com, it doesn't necessarily mean the listing has sold. You'd be surprised at the number of Withdrawns and Expireds right now.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 PM

It's true that "no longer available" doesn't necessarily mean sold. If I have access to the full MLS, then I can easily check the exact status. Unfortunately, I don't have that access. The only thing I can do is make an educated guess whether it was actually sold.

Does anyone know a public website that provides current status including "pending", "closed", "expired", "canceled", etc?

For example, I'd like to search only the PENDING/CLOSED properties in the last 6 months so that I can research the effect of listing prices. I know my agent can do this but I don't know whether I can.

I'm not here to blame realtors for not sharing the information. This data is proprietary and they deserve the right to use to their advantage. I'm just trying to find a feasible way to get indirect access.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 11,227 times
Where is the RSS feed on realtor.com? I can't find it for searches...only for their blogs... Anybody help me?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
franklymls.com also gives out a lot of good info that most realtor sites choose to leave out.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperlab View Post
Where is the RSS feed on realtor.com? I can't find it for searches...only for their blogs... Anybody help me?
I'm having the same problem. I signed up, but can't find the RSS feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate