Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 09:21 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times

Advertisements

I always thought I wanted to live in a cul de sac but I’ve come to see they can be a pain. Living on a street that ends in one. - as was the case where I grew up - is the best solution. No cars ever came down the street except people who lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 09:02 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,393 times
If Lot A (the street) is definitely not in some sort of flood plain, I would choose to build at that location. I'm not a huge fan of having a stream on/immediately behind my property, but the privacy sounds appealing (and for resale, that seems like a positive feature).

Lot B (the cul de sac) seems to have more variables that could kill the deal for me. If the straight part of the cul de sac *and* the rounded part are very wide, that could work; if not, it will feel scrunchy and like living in a fishbowl. Where will neighboring driveways and garages be positioned relative to your house, garage, and driveway? Will you find yourself looking out your front windows and seeing the next door neighbor's driveway or will they be able to see from their garage directly into your back yard? (See attached photo for an example.) Will the shape of your backyard work for how you would want to use it? Will the shapes of your neighbors' back yards cause them to use the space such that it feels like they're encroaching on your privacy?
Attached Thumbnails
Street or Cul-de-Sac?-bad-cul-de-sac.jpg  

Old 10-27-2019, 11:13 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I always thought I wanted to live in a cul de sac but I’ve come to see they can be a pain. Living on a street that ends in one. - as was the case where I grew up - is the best solution. No cars ever came down the street except people who lived there.
I grew up on a cul de sac in the late 60s, 70s. and early 80s. Later, on, as an adult, my second home was on a cds.

Growing up, I did enjoy it. It was great for bike riding, skate boarding, and we had a pretty garden circle in the center. Every July 4th, we had a party, including fireworks, which aren't exactly legal in my state, but two of the other dads ran the fireworks display and we always had so much fun.

So that was a good experience at the home where I grew up.

Our second home was also on a CDS. It was not such a great experience. I listed some reasons up thread.
The flooding... UGH.

There were also other issues. The CDS was very cliquey. Most of the others had lived there since the homes were built. The people acted as though there was an HOA when there was none. They were only friendly when they wanted information or wanted to "suggest" a change in our property. The people before us were not extremely tidy. OK. A bit messy. The neighbors wanted the new owners to be their opposite. We fell somewhere in between.

My parents were very conformist people. They didn't just "Keep up with the Jones' they WERE the JONES family. We are not.

I love nature and so does my husband. Fewer neighbors are better neighbors.

We are almost 100% sure that we are going with "lot A".

We will decide on Tuesday. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:11 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Lot A sounds nice. Just check that flood plain. I have a creek bed behind my house and they are common here - it’s hilly and they direct rain into retention ponds. But some houses are in a flood plain which is surprising. Supposedly the house behind me is.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:49 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My parents were very conformist people. They didn't just "Keep up with the Jones' they WERE the JONES family. We are not.
HA! This cracked me up.

Quote:

Sounds like you've made a good decision based on what you and your husband appreciate and the lifestyle that suits you...not to mention your past life experiences. Best of luck to you! (I'm a bit envious, honestly. )

Old 10-28-2019, 04:07 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
I grew up on a cul de sac in the late 60s, 70s. and early 80s. Later, on, as an adult, my second home was on a cds.

Growing up, I did enjoy it. It was great for bike riding, skate boarding, and we had a pretty garden circle in the center. Every July 4th, we had a party, including fireworks, which aren't exactly legal in my state, but two of the other dads ran the fireworks display and we always had so much fun.

So that was a good experience at the home where I grew up.

Our second home was also on a CDS. It was not such a great experience. I listed some reasons up thread.
The flooding... UGH.

There were also other issues. The CDS was very cliquey. Most of the others had lived there since the homes were built. The people acted as though there was an HOA when there was none. They were only friendly when they wanted information or wanted to "suggest" a change in our property. The people before us were not extremely tidy. OK. A bit messy. The neighbors wanted the new owners to be their opposite. We fell somewhere in between.

If I were going to choose a home based on the design of the street alone, I would choose a horseshoe shaped street over a cul-de-sac. Look at this image. The people living on Starr Way have easy two way access to leave home, and yet little to no through traffic. They are actually father from the main thoroughfare and the traffic noise, then the people living on the Rustic Lane cul-de-sac on the other site of the main road, whos backyards are right against the main road. The people on the Rustic Lane cul-de-sac have to drive an extra half mile just to get to the main road, which they are right next too. That's an extra mile a day, 365 extra miles of driving a year, an entire tank of gas, just to get into and out of their house. Plus what happens if there is an emergency, that shuts down their street, such as police activity, a house fire, a water main break, etc.? They will either be trapped in their home, or unable to get home, until the street reopens. The people living on Starr Way have none of these worries. Cul-de-sac living seems pretty inconvenient to me.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:48 PM

What I've learned in life is that situations are more "subject to change" than we think when we are younger. Things happen that change our needs. Nothing is engraved in stone.

Growing up in two homes that my parents built, turned my feelings against new homes. Particularly subdivisions. I am on record on CD as actually saying that I would never liver in a subdivision - or in ANY NEW HOME.

That needs to be filed under "famous last words".

Last summer, my husband suffered a heart attack. It has little to do with his lifestyle choices or what he eats. It's an inherited condition. He has already outlived his dad by almost 20 years.

He was medically forced into retirement. He NEVER wanted to completely retire.

We needed an easy house. A first floor owner's suit. Low upkeep = less stress.

This move was unexpected but we are looking forward to it.

I think the beautiful, relaxing back yard, and the walking trails will help him to continue to heal.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:10 AM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times
I read an interesting 2009 article about suburban culs-de-sac in Virginia, where they are strongly discouraged due to spiraling maintenance and development costs.

You can read the article here:

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/24/...eased-traffic/

Old 10-30-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If I were going to choose a home based on the design of the street alone, I would choose a horseshoe shaped street over a cul-de-sac. Look at this image. The people living on Starr Way have easy two way access to leave home, and yet little to no through traffic. They are actually father from the main thoroughfare and the traffic noise, then the people living on the Rustic Lane cul-de-sac on the other site of the main road, whos backyards are right against the main road. The people on the Rustic Lane cul-de-sac have to drive an extra half mile just to get to the main road, which they are right next too. That's an extra mile a day, 365 extra miles of driving a year, an entire tank of gas, just to get into and out of their house. Plus what happens if there is an emergency, that shuts down their street, such as police activity, a house fire, a water main break, etc.? They will either be trapped in their home, or unable to get home, until the street reopens. The people living on Starr Way have none of these worries. Cul-de-sac living seems pretty inconvenient to me.
ACTUALLY - You are NOT going to believe this - but I THOUGHT it was a through street to the other subdivision because I saw the woods and the homes on the other side. I thought the street would go straight through to connect the two communities.

I found out that I was WRONG!

It's going to be a HORSE SHOE to limit in and out traffic. It won't be a "cut thru" to or from anything.

We are even happier now. We are also glad to have gotten in on one of the Nature Preserve properties rather than the Cornfield properties.

So, yes. We are HAPPY! Thanks again for all who offered advice. You ROCK!

Old 10-31-2019, 12:44 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
ACTUALLY - You are NOT going to believe this - but I THOUGHT it was a through street to the other subdivision because I saw the woods and the homes on the other side. I thought the street would go straight through to connect the two communities.

I found out that I was WRONG!

It's going to be a HORSE SHOE to limit in and out traffic. It won't be a "cut thru" to or from anything.

We are even happier now. We are also glad to have gotten in on one of the Nature Preserve properties rather than the Cornfield properties.

So, yes. We are HAPPY! Thanks again for all who offered advice. You ROCK!
Something to consider: Is there some approval process that has allowed it as a horseshoe or is it simply proposed as a horseshoe? How difficult would it be to change to a different configuration in the future if the current or future developer decided to change plans? Would a horseshoe of apartments rather than single family houses be a consideration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate